MINI Clubman MINI Clubman 2007 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 10:10 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 03:21 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

In the 2001 book: "The worst Cars ever sold in Britain" by Giles Chapman this is what he says about the pacer:-

"It did boast a driver's door longer than the passenger's for easy access to the rear seats. But even that novelty went rather pear shaped when cars were converted to right hand drive for the UK."

Sounds familiar.....

Never mind folks, looks like the soon to be announced remake of Waynes World has found its new Mirth Mobile!!

Its a very difficult job and the only way to get through it is we all work together as a team.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 11:32 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
Damned

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View Restyle's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Restyle's Classified Ads

I do rather favour Symmetical Body styles

.. anyone know how to do a poll "Asymmetrical vs Symmetrical" aka "Safe vs Downright Dangerous"
.. aka "Penny Pinching Bean Counters vs Original New MINI"

post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Range Rover SDV8!

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

United Kingdom View Tigger Eeyore & Roo's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Tigger Eeyore & Roo's Classified Ads

And another point; Eeyore doesn't drive, so she sits in the passenger seat. She can then slide her seat forward a bit to give Eeyore more space behind. Consequently, it's the rear seat behind me then often gets loaded loaded with luggage, or folded down and loaded with luggage. I'm sure a lot of other 3 person families do the same.

So, what use is a driver's side rear door to people like us? None at all for unloading a rear passenger, even if we're not parked on the side of a busy road

What we are likely to get is squeaks and rattles at the join between the two doors induced by body flex over such a large opening. Just listen to the rear doors of any van, after it has done a year or two's work and imagine something similar next to your right ear

Tigger.

5/04-2/07 R50, 2/07-5/10 R53, all outgrown!
And now, after a Mk2 Focus RS, 3 x Freelander 2's, 2 x Discovery 4's, its....
Impossible to show here within site image size restrictions

post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 08:23 AM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 No.1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

England Male

Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger, Eeyore & Roo View Post
And another point; Eeyore doesn't drive, so she sits in the passenger seat. She can then slide her seat forward a bit to give Eeyore more space behind. Consequently, it's the rear seat behind me then often gets loaded loaded with luggage, or folded down and loaded with luggage. I'm sure a lot of other 3 person families do the same.

Tigger.
Good point. Myself (6 foot) sits in the drivers seat, Abi (5'3") sits in the passenger seat, allowing Alfie more room. I would imagine most three person families somehow fall into this seating arrangement too. Didn't even think of that.
Thanks for this post from:
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 09:38 AM
MINI-less enthusiast

United Kingdom

Thumbs down

I saw this news in Autoexpress - can't say I am surprised after what BMW did with Mk2 new MINI (cheaper materials, arguably uglier and more expensive than Mk1).

Is this a preview into the future of MINI? In that case the future won't be bright. How much do they rely on brand loyalty?

post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
The Muffin Man

Local Time: 02:21 AM

United Kingdom Male

To echo... this has definitely got to be a bad move for the clubman My first initial thought on this were that the MINI is an english car (well... it is built in england anyway), why cater for other countries rather than the MINIs home country?
post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 12:05 PM
MINI2 No.1

England Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns863 View Post
...why cater for other countries rather than the MINIs home country?
££££££

Sorry, I mean..

$$$$$$

post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Total MINI dot com!!

United Kingdom Male View Rakey's Classified Ads

Another stupid decision on the future of MINI development which gives me concern to what BMW are doing with the brand/car
post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Ecstatic new JCW owner!

United Kingdom Male View ~Marcus~'s Pepper White & Black 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Profile

Very very stupid decision. The motoring press are going to have a field day!

post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 09:24 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
MINI Traitor

Local Time: 12:21 PM

Australia View swamos's Electric Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Send a message via Skype™ to swamos
I'm not going to conceal my disappointment with this. I was really keen on the car....to the point where I'd even started speccing I really didn't thing MINI would do this

I quote AA and MINI

“But whatever the layout, the single door on the left will still be long enough to give excellent access to the rear seats – as it is on the three-door MINI.”

I'd really like to see the spokesman from MINI firstly lifting in a 2/3 year old, and then trying to strap them in while leaning through the front door. We've tried it with the old car, and it can be done but it's not something you would want to do every day. I think it will be even harder with the clubman as with more space in the back the baby seat will be even further into the car

We're in no rush to get another car at the moment so we'll wait for the official reveal. But, as my wife said it's not going to happen loading 2 kids into the back from the roadside.

Up until this announcement I would have said we were pretty much 100% going to get one. I even spoke to our dealer last Monday about placing a deposit. However, if the extra door is on the right only I just can't see us getting one.

post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2007, 10:35 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 10:21 PM

United States Male View thebigyin's Black-Eye Purple & Dark Blue 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Convertible Profile

I must first say that since I live in the U.S. I will be able to get my Clubman with the door on the "sensible side".
BUT
I just have to express my anger at BMW for their stupid excuse for having the door on that side - they sell more cars in countries which drive on the righthand side of the road and it would not be cost-effective to have two versions!!!!
If you tale that argument to its logical conclusion then when are they going to announce that they will not be producing a RHD version of the car at all because it's not COST-EFFECTIVE !!!!?????!!!
The solution is so simple - make the suicide doors on BOTH SIDES. Mazda worked it out on the RX-8 and it has been a great selling feature - it is the basis of of the TV commercials for the RX-8 with the guy being "hugged" by the two doors.
Surely BMW could have worked out how to relocate the Fuel Filler - they did it on the Convertible versus the hardtop - so that there could be a door on both sides??

If you know how many MINIs you have you don't have enough ...
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 05:55 AM
MINI2 No.1

England Male

Overall LHD will be the biggest selling MINI variety.

The US is already fast becoming the largest market for the MINI, so combined with other LHD countries such as Germany, the rest of mainland Europe, and many others, the demand will be greater than in RHD countries such as the UK, Australia etc. So they're going where the money is with that one.

I think MINI also expect the Clubman to sell better in the US than other markets anyway, so another justification to cater for that market ahead of any other.
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Bounty Hunter

United Kingdom Male View jango-fett's Classified Ads

I would still buy one, even if the club door is on the wrong side. Its no different to my existing MINI regarding rear access for my 9 year old son, something i am now used too. What will be the main benefits are the larger boot and more legroom for him. Alternatively, i will have a passenger off switch and just stick him in the front seat.

The club door would be a bit of a novelty and certainly not detract from the other benefits. It doesnt bother me tha BMW haven't catered for the RHD market, what will be annoying is we (RHD owners) will still have to pay for a door that we will hardly ever use!!!!!

They should do a cheaper version with no club door... That might sell a bit better in the UK!!!!
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Range Rover SDV8!

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

United Kingdom View Tigger Eeyore & Roo's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Tigger Eeyore & Roo's Classified Ads

There you go BMW, a bit of free market research for you; 28 posts, 27 against and 1 that doesn't mind.

So, who was it in the company that decided this was a good idea?

Tigger.

5/04-2/07 R50, 2/07-5/10 R53, all outgrown!
And now, after a Mk2 Focus RS, 3 x Freelander 2's, 2 x Discovery 4's, its....
Impossible to show here within site image size restrictions
post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2007, 12:23 AM
MINI2 Privilege Member
In Flanders fields ...

Local Time: 04:21 AM

Belgium Male View grand_cru's Pepper White & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Send a message via MSN to grand_cru
Been following this thread for a while, and even I feel pity for all right hand drivers amongst you ...
Just need to consider that:
- I didn't even notice the inconvenience of the right hand suicide door for you guys, and I 'm very sorry for that
- MINI allready is, and in the future will remain a BMW brand. R&D and marketing dpt. consider MINI 's a pure GERMAN product. So not considering any reasonable clubman-design changes in favour of the UK market (read: they don't give a sh*t about right hand driving).

I had no trouble with the design so far, but MINI should think about the minority (sorry, you are) of right hand driving customers before launching the Clubman.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in