LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #46 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2007, 06:03 AM
goes for green!

Local Time: 06:51 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Germany Male

Garage
in the daylight it looks like chocolate brown and not like bronze IMO.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	miniclubmanside_jp_2050181g_127.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	134104  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2007, 06:52 AM
Hat
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
ITS RAINNIN' SIDEWAYS

Local Time: 05:51 PM

England Male View Hat's Classified Ads

good pic fritz

post #48 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2007, 07:02 AM
R56 S in the making

United Kingdom

i think it will highlight the character of the clubman personally

post #49 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2007, 12:37 PM
Mini Cooper Cabrio

Mentioned: Post(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Clubman at Zandvoort Racing Circuit

The pictures taken at Zandvoort are the first proper pictures that I have seen of the Clubman
and I am well impressed ! I am looking forward to seeing it in person and perhaps changing my Pepper White S Convertible for a Clubman when it becomes available. I hope they will make it as a van (i.e. with panelling instead of windows on the side) as well, so that it is more suitable for my business.
post #50 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2007, 05:45 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
Wandering....

Male

I'm not keen I must say

The seatbelt issue will surely need sorting
post #51 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2007, 07:31 PM
MINI2 Senior

Scotland View morrisminiminor's Chili Red & Chili Red 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mullett View Post
I've seen a brownish TT too, looked horrible. I think this is not a decision based on people, but on "motoring trends", ie, someone somewhere decided it was a good idea, so all other marketing departments are following this "bold statement".

Would you believe that something as important as colour is actually agreed upon by the manufacturers beforehand so that no one has an unfair advantage?

morrisminiminor
post #52 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2007, 07:34 PM
MINI2 Senior

Scotland View morrisminiminor's Chili Red & Chili Red 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Profile

Mind you those latest pictures really show the Clubman as one ugly car from the rear. Why couldn't they have had a hatch type opening instead of two doors with the join obscuring rearward vision?

morrisminiminor
post #53 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2007, 07:52 PM
MINI2 No.1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

England Male

Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
I actually like it's rear end (from behind).

I'm still not convinced about the uneven suicide door configuration, inside or out, but I'm really looking forward to experiencing it first hand as some things "just work" when you finally get your hands on them.

The original "Traveller" Concept I think was a really, really nice piece of work, and the Clubman doesn't hit the mark so far on the "wow" factor, but maybe once you're in it it's a different story.
post #54 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2007, 07:56 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 12:51 PM

United States Male View DDon670's Dark Silver & Silver 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Dark Silver Barn Doors and Brown cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisminiminor View Post
Mind you those latest pictures really show the Clubman as one ugly car from the rear. Why couldn't they have had a hatch type opening instead of two doors with the join obscuring rearward vision?

morrisminiminor
I saw on some website can't remember which one that the rear barn doors were engineered by BMW for safety reasons. I don't remember the whole content of the article, but it said the rear pillar made when the doors are closed was needed because of the integrity of the cabin being compromised by the suicide door. The same article said this was also the reason there was one suicide door and not two. The first Brown car I saw recently was
the 02 JEEP Liberty in Woodland Brown not quite as dark as MINI's version. It was nice looking in my opinion, but only lasted one model year so obviously didn't sell well.
post #55 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:02 AM
MINI2 No.1

England Male

If that were the case it would be very unevenly balanced, wobbly on one side, solid on the other.

post #56 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 12:36 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 12:51 PM

United States Male View DDon670's Dark Silver & Silver 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Dark Silver

Quote:
If that were the case it would be very unevenly balanced, wobbly on one side, solid on the other.
The theory on the website is supported by the fact that full size pickup trucks were out for years with one suicide door. They were like this for years until the car companies could engineer them properly to have two suicide doors. You also have to factor in the size of a MINI and although it is just opinion maybe they couldn't make it safe enough to have two suicide doors. Also it is just common sense that barn doors with the big pillar they make are more crashworthy than hatches are.
post #57 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 01:33 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 01:51 PM

United States Male View thebigyin's Black-Eye Purple & Dark Blue 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Convertible Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisminiminor View Post

morrisminiminor
The reason the doors are like that is because that is how the doors were on the original Mini Traveller and Countryman .
The doors MUST be like that to make it a MINI.

If you know how many MINIs you have you don't have enough ...
post #58 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 09:03 AM
MINI2 No.1

England Male

Yep, the barn style doors were a must to "make it a MINI".

I personally think the suicide door is a serious compromise in both design and practicality. Amazing how a small car like the (obvious choice) Mazda RX8 can pull it off, but the MINI can't.

The Traveller concept lost nothing by means of a lack of rear side doors, and I think this gains little apart from complication and an uneven look and feel.

Really not sure I could live with an interior configuration like this:

Especially as they decided to put it on the "wrong side" for the UK market, I know we're a minority in driving on the correct side of the road , but it's a shame to see it reflected so obviously in the design like this.

I don't just mean as it's on the "road side", I mean because it's on the driver's side. Generally speaking when we've taken friends out and dropped them home, Abi would hop out while the car is running and they'd get out the car and go home. The idea the driver has to get out and let them out on the wrong side, it's just all a bit back to front.

I'm still, of course, extremely interested in the Clubman and wish it well, but the test drives will have to be very good to convince me of it's merits over its drawbacks.

I'm 100% sure there will be a big corporate demand, they'll make great travelling bill-boards.
post #59 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 01:51 PM

United States Male View Aurel's Hot Chocolate & Silver 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Clubman Profile

yeah, I feel for you right hand side drivers ... not sure I would be interested in it either if I lived there.

is it just me or do the body bits look so much more well proportioned for the Clubman than for the R56? Its almost as if they were fitted on it for it first and the R56 inherited them ... and I am almost sure this happened considering they share a lot of body parts.

for example, looking at things "backwards" so to speak, the slimmer plastic trim around the body of the R53 would look awkward on the Clubman.

also according to factory sources on Motoringfile ... the rear part of that interior is not finished ... to qoute:

"The only thing I will say is that these interiors are not the 100% completed product. Notice how shiny the plastics are, these are not grained or ‘gold’ parts as they are known internally."

whatever ... carry on ...Right ... Cheers!
post #60 of 63 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2007, 04:41 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Cant think of many cars that sell well in brown?
These once sold very well in metallic brown and it later hid the rust!
Ford Cortina

I liked the 70's Ford metallic brown at the time but never liked the solid browns that British Leyland used on the original Mini including the Clubman Estate. (I think it was called Russet Brown?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in