Local Time: 11:55 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Send a message via MSN to Lonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonery View Post
Probably due to the Credit Crunch

Maybe it's due it to being one of the ugliest cars produced, completely inpractical for LHS road users and not as good as others in that market. Why not just buy a normal estate?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 209 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 06:58 PM
Range Rover SDV8!

Local Time: 12:55 PM
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

United Kingdom View Tigger, Eeyore & Roo's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Tigger, Eeyore & Roo's Classified Ads

Shaun,

Anyone who's met us knows that we often carry an outrageous amount of stuff (the three of us PLUS camping gear / picnic table / chairs / gazebo / border collie etc, etc!) and we'll do just about anything to cram it all in the MINI and avoid the need for a big estate car! (see thumbnail below) So I see what you're saying....

However, two of those members were absolutely descimated to loose their MINIs yet I could still understand their reasoning

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00501 for camp site.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	144369  

5/04-2/07 R50, 2/07-5/10 R53, all outgrown!
And now, after a Mk2 Focus RS, 3 x Freelander 2's, 2 x Discovery 4's, its....
Impossible to show here within site image size restrictions
post #48 of 209 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 06:59 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male View balmy1's Pepper White & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Clubman Profile

United-Kingdom Sorry must disagree

Sorry I must disagree I love my clubman. I wanted a mini for a long time and went and looked at them twice and because of the room in the back and the boot I didn't bother first I bought a rover 25 and second I bought a Mitsubishi colt both quite good cars but I wanted a mini really lookin envious at every one that went past.Yes its still not the best in the back room can be tight but I don't sit in the back the daughter does and she likes it ,I'm sick of the clubdoor arguments sometimes i use it most times i don't because its difficult when parked next to another car as for the boot I can get everything in I want 2 including 2 dogs so its OK in there so I'm happy yes i could have made a few better choices with the option list when i bought it but never mind Ive now got what i want

post #49 of 209 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM
Range Rover SDV8!

United Kingdom View Tigger, Eeyore & Roo's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Tigger, Eeyore & Roo's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmy1 View Post
I'm sick of the clubdoor arguments
I'm really pleased for you that you like your Clubman and agree that, for some people, the Clubdoor is not an issue. However, being "sick of the Clubdoor argument" makes it no less valid a reason for those people who have looked at the Clubman and decided to spend their hard earned cash elsewhere because of it

I seem to remember MINI UK dismissing, out of hand, arguments about the Clubdoor in just the same way at the launch meeting in Oxford; casually dismiss customer feedback at your peril BMW

Thanks for this post from:
post #50 of 209 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 07:30 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 07:55 AM

United States Female View ontheroadagain's Pure Silver & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Clubman Profile

They appear to be selling like hot cakes (aka pancakes) in the USA and getting great coverage in the media. Obviously, I'm quite smitten with them.

First love: MC CVT Indi Blue/White '04
Past MINI: MC CVT PW/Black '06
Present MINI: MCCa Pure Silver/BLK '09 w/roof rails
post #51 of 209 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 07:37 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male View balmy1's Pepper White & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Clubman Profile

White Cooper "sick of the Clubdoor argument"

Yes I think it would have been better with 4 proper doors but it wasn't to be and how long would the car have been with 4 doors and being to long would affect the handling etc and take the mini fun away but the main thing i was sick of was the amount of people that would have been killed and injured because of getting out of the clubdoor on to the road as all the car reports suggested
maybe they will listen when the face lift is due
post #52 of 209 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 07:45 PM
Range Rover SDV8!

Let's hope they do, though they haven't made any sheet metal changes on a face-lift yet.

post #53 of 209 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Mini Madness

United Kingdom Male View M111 CGC's Dark Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View M111 CGC's Classified Ads

Send a message via MSN to M111 CGC
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmy1 View Post
...... but the main thing i was sick of was the amount of people that would have been killed and injured because of getting out of the clubdoor on to the road as all the car reports suggested

And do people really believe every Mini hatchback (or any other car in fact) driver gets out of the passenger side door everytime they have to park on the road side just because their own door is exposed to the traffic?

"The club door is on the wrong side.....".YAWN YAWN

JCW now gone ~ 2007 Clubman Cooper D ~ Currently messing with an 03 MCS
post #54 of 209 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
MINI Traitor

Local Time: 09:55 PM

Australia View swamos's Electric Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Send a message via Skype™ to swamos
To the people who think the club door side is not an issue... whatever.

You have a MINI enthusiast here with two kids who voted with his feet because of A)clubdoor (side and quantity of clubdoors) and B)price. Once someone has left MINIDOM it's always harder to get people back as people may be happy with the way they have gone so I think MINI have a strategic issue here.

I can't help but wonder how much more successful it would have been with two doors.
post #55 of 209 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 08:49 PM
MINI2 Regular

Norway View Morro's Chili Red & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Clubman Profile

I don't care about the clubdoor, but I like my Clubman.

For those of you who think it is of great importance that You don't like the car, Mini will fold because You dont like the Clubman, Clubman owners will not be able to give away our cars because You don't like it and so on...., give me a break. The Clubman is not built to make the world population agree on one car model, once and for all.

post #56 of 209 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:12 PM
Fly Heli's they're fun!

Local Time: 05:55 AM

Canada Male View heli_guy's Nightfire Red & Silver 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Clubman Profile

Send a message via Skype™ to heli_guy
Well in NA the club door is on the passenger side (curb side), and I like it, although I would say having it on the other side would be quite nice actually (as that is the side I need to help the kids in and out of anyway). So it would save me walking around the car.

I think it would have been nice to have 2 club doors. Otherwise, I think the car is quite practical (hence the reason I upgraded from my 05 hatch to the club). It provides just enough space for 99% of the things I do. I agree, people who want larger cars will get larger cars, but will have other compromises too. There are a few things I wish they did different on the club, but in general are quite happy.

They are doing quite well for sales over here!
post #57 of 209 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:15 PM
any day now....

Local Time: 11:55 AM

Ireland Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamos View Post
Once someone has left MINIDOM it's always harder to get people back as people may be happy with the way they have gone so I think MINI have a strategic issue here.
Interesting point there. I think what BMW is cautious of stepping on the toes of its own 3 series. Not to drag up the Rover debacle, but BMW spectacularly torpedoed the 75, which would have been a serious threat to the 3 series. The MINI is now, more than ever, a product of BMW, and I see it as a way to get people into the BMW group as early as possible. MINI is what you might call a 'lifestyle' brand. I think the clubman is as large as we will see, other than the SUV, as BMW probably wont have an "X1"

Personally I love the clubman, and there is an air of exclusivity to it as well, its different and divides opinion.A real marmite car! Every estate agent has a MINI now. I made that comment to a dealer and they asked me "so you're in that line of work?" like it was something completely normal and commonplace!

Brian.
post #58 of 209 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 07:09 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 04:55 AM

United States Female

I love my Clubman more than any of the 14 cars I've had. It seems to be really popular here in the States. I waited 782 days for mine and it was worth the wait. I even wrote an article for Roundel about my obsession.
Now I want to sell my BMW 330 convertible to be put on the list for the 2009 MINI Cabrio. I would rather have the two MINIs to choose from than any other car out there. And I am very happy that it was made in the UK.
post #59 of 209 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 07:21 AM
Mr Big Stuff

United Kingdom Male View Shaun's Pepper White & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Clubman Profile View Shaun's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDromey View Post
Interesting point there. I think what BMW is cautious of stepping on the toes of its own 3 series. Not to drag up the Rover debacle, but BMW spectacularly torpedoed the 75, which would have been a serious threat to the 3 series. The MINI is now, more than ever, a product of BMW, and I see it as a way to get people into the BMW group as early as possible. MINI is what you might call a 'lifestyle' brand. I think the clubman is as large as we will see, other than the SUV, as BMW probably wont have an "X1"

Personally I love the clubman, and there is an air of exclusivity to it as well, its different and divides opinion.A real marmite car! Every estate agent has a MINI now. I made that comment to a dealer and they asked me "so you're in that line of work?" like it was something completely normal and commonplace!

Brian.
You have a good point I wouldnt have entertained a BMW until I got my MINI.
post #60 of 209 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 08:19 AM
MINI2 Privilege Member
MINI Traitor

Local Time: 09:55 PM

Australia View swamos's Electric Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Send a message via Skype™ to swamos
I popped into a local dealer and asked how the clubman was selling. She said "slow at first but we think it's picking up". Hmmm...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in