First Drive in Clubman - MINI Cooper Forum
MINI Clubman MINI Clubman 2007 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Crakle and pop!!

Local Time: 06:33 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View adams's Chili Red & Black 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Profile

First Drive in Clubman

Hi guys, my r53 cooper s went in to get rid of the airbag light warning a couple of days ago. I was given a cooper clubman with high spec (sunroof, chilli pack bi xenons, auto air con etc etc) It was a pepper white/black with a lot of checks.

Bet you are thinking here we go again more slagging off , but as this was my first drive in a new new MINI i kept my mind open. And i have to admit it was a FANTASTIC car. I couldn't beleive how far the game has moved on in some respects. The looks of the clubman are (as has been said) like marmite, love it or hate it. It grew on me put it that way

So i got my seat sorted, pulled off and the first thing i noticed- very sweet new unit underneath the bonet. It had 3000 miles on, so i gave it a trip or too to the red line, and yes obviously it wasnt like my s, but it certainly went well enough to make you think is there any point in anything else? I got 40 mpg around town (just like my s, yeah right ), i fit a overnight bag and 31 big ass laptops in the boot without the seats down (just like my s ). I was really very impressed. Loved the sunroof aswell! The handling on the new mini is totally fantastic. I went out for lunch, and the road was quite so i took a detour to a large roundabout, and went for it hoping for the best! Grip was amazing, really good feedback as well. Also no jarrining from the potholes. Got back turned off the sport button, and wey hey i actually have a turning circle

The only negative was i would like a temperature gauge, and perhaps an anolouge fuel gage. Apart from that, faith has been restored in the r56 and the r55. Who would of thought it. Message to doubters would be take it for a test drive

Still not selling s quite yet though, will have to try to drop the supercharger habit

Any of you agree with what i have found?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adams For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:04 AM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
50 PMs no sig group

Local Time: 05:33 AM

England Male View KPKalle's Laser Blue & White 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

That's a good write-up I've promised myself to take a Clubbie out for a test drive at some point. Not that I'm in the market for one just yet

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Totally Mad!

United Kingdom Female View NickyJ's Astro Black & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Convertible Profile

We're lucky in our family to have the best of both worlds, I've got my S and my other half has a Dooper Clubman

They're such different cars to drive, mine is loud, rattly and a bit cramped but so fast, whereas the Clubbie is smooth and pretty quiet with loads more space, but not as quick off the mark. I enjoy driving them both, but like you I love that supercharger

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Crakle and pop!!

United Kingdom Male View adams's Chili Red & Black 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Profile

Cheers, yeah i know what you mean it is really quite but i did notice in the petrol cooper a nice throaty exhaust not at certain points. Thanfully im not in that marktet yet either KP . I think i might be tempted to spec a new s after the summer is out what do you rekon ?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:33 AM
50 PMs no sig group

Why not spec a new S? I already drive an R56 S and love it to bits (Previously owned an R50 Cooper and driven R53 Ss on several occasions )
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Crakle and pop!!

Thats what i was thinking, i would like to drive one first although im sure it will be good! My s has the grey/black recaros in the front with the back bench to match, will miss thoose if she has to go! Does the new s feel faster? Is there any noise from the exhaust? Everyone noticed me in the clubman !!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:54 AM
MCS AB Owner! =D

United Kingdom Male View Tunster's Astro Black & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

I took out a Clubman S (as there wasn't a hatchback S available) when I went to my dealer to test the MINI "S" engine out. I couldn't believe how refined it was to drive! Especially in comparison to a Cooper S I drove the next day. Regardless of the extended chassis, they've managed to keep many of the highlights that the hatchback retains. It was very nippy, the "S" engine pulled it like a dream and in some sense was far more sensible than the R56 S I own now.

If I require more space in future, I may consider a JCW Clubbie in the future. Since driving and seeing a Clubbie in the flesh, I am growing to liking them very much!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:54 AM
50 PMs no sig group

Yep the new S feels faster, smoother and the exhaust pops and burbles nicely
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2008, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Crakle and pop!!

Kool and the gang!! Clubman s anyone haha nah not for me, could be a new s in the pipline though!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2008, 09:20 AM
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom View daro911's Laser Blue & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

United-Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunster View Post
I took out a Clubman S (as there wasn't a hatchback S available) when I went to my dealer to test the MINI "S" engine out. I couldn't believe how refined it was to drive!

If I require more space in future, I may consider a JCW Clubbie in the future. Since driving and seeing a Clubbie in the flesh, I am growing to liking them very much!
Own a pair of MCS's one hatch (mine) one Club (hers) and have to conclude the extra inches are well worth having. I like the look of both so no issues there and the fact the longer slightly softer riding Club is as much fun on the tarmac as the hatch if you need the extra space go for a Club.

In fact even if you don't still go for the club

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wh05mcs.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	145480   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00935.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	145481  

Too many freaks not enough circuses
Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you.
Tell him a bench has wet paint and he has to touch it.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2008, 09:30 AM
MCS AB Owner! =D

United Kingdom Male View Tunster's Astro Black & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by daro911 View Post
Own a pair of MCS's one hatch one Club and have to conclude the extra inches are well worth having. I like the look of both so no issues there and the fact the longer slightly softer riding Club is as much fun on the tarmac as the hatch if you need the extra space go for a Club.

In fact even if you don't still go for the club
I don't quite have enough money to own both at the age of 21 . I've only literally had my S just over 3 weeks . However, if my situation changes in 2/3 years time when I can chop in the my current S, then the clubbie may well be a huge consideration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in