MINI Clubman MINI Clubman 2007 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
On a Learning Journey

Local Time: 07:50 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Serious Quality Issues - New Clubman

Recently took delivery of my new Clubman Cooper Diesel and over a couple of weeks ran up 1300 miles.

Absolutely zero defects noted upon delivery and zero defects at 1300 miles. Not a single rattle, failiure or suspect component. Paintwork is superb and I've been over it in great detail.

The car drives and tracks as you might expect and I attacked it with a hose pipe to see if the door seals were up to driving in a wet country - result was zero ingress of water.

First new car that I've ever bought that hasn't had a return vist to the dealer for some 'warranty' work.

Unconvinced by the auto stop/start feature and slightly irritated at the slow filling fuel tank - but this car is seriously well screwed together.

Benhar, Breich and Forth a-go-go!
Thanks for this post from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
On a Learning Journey

2,000 miles and not a problem to report. Absolutely zero defects - nothing has rattlled loose, failed, broken or otherwise failed to operate. Engine and gearbox have bedded in rather nicely and the whole package is delivering fun, fun, fun.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2010, 03:32 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 01:50 PM

United States

I'm not sure if you were being negative or not because of your title "Issues", but when I read your notes it was positive or I'm just not understanding. (confused)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
On a Learning Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blumini06 View Post
I'm not sure if you were being negative or not because of your title "Issues", but when I read your notes it was positive or I'm just not understanding. (confused)

Do not be confused - I expected a few problems (it is a man-made product after all) but I have experienced zero problems to date.

This is a seriously well put together product!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 2010, 03:27 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 08:50 PM

United Kingdom Male View adam_Randell's Pepper White & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Profile View adam_Randell's Classified Ads

Send a message via MSN to adam_Randell
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmini3 View Post
Do not be confused - I expected a few problems (it is a man-made product after all) but I have experienced zero problems to date.

This is a seriously well put together product!
thats because its not put together in England

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:08 PM
ukmini*****

United Kingdom Male

Send a message via MSN to Darren Briggs
not put together in England? Has Oxford moved?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2010, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
On a Learning Journey

At 4000 miles my first negative MINI experience - laquer coating cannot handle bird poo.

What a mammoth job to try and remove an everyday feature of driving in the real world.

Other than that it is driving superbly.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
On a Learning Journey

Passed the 6000 miles mark - still no sign of any components failing to operate or shaking loose. It is driving really well - engine, transmission and brakes are all working in harmony.

Have been trying that new Shell diesel fuel - cannot say that I've noticed any performance or economy benefits - but then I've not been very scientific in my benefits analysis.

Still unconvinced that the laquer coating over the paint is 'fit for purpose' when it comes to protection against everyday bird poo.

Thanks for this post from:
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2010, 08:35 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Bird poo is very acidic mate and will eat through any laquer if left for too long. Paint is only made by two main global manufacturers so its the same paint as on any other car really.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Range Rover SDV8!

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

United Kingdom View Tigger, Eeyore & Roo's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View Tigger, Eeyore & Roo's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmini3 View Post
Still unconvinced that the laquer coating over the paint is 'fit for purpose' when it comes to protection against everyday bird poo.
I had the same experience on my last R53. Nasty bird poo on the bonnet for a maximum of 1.5 to 2 hours. Definitely ate into the laquer and it took regular polishing over about 12 months to get rid of the huge mark. Also extremely vulnerable to stone chips, though it doesn't rust where it chips.

The paint shop at Cowley was never designed for the volume that it handles and it is a real bottleneck at the plant. Methinks they might fly through that part of the factory a little faster than they really ought to....

5/04-2/07 R50, 2/07-5/10 R53, all outgrown!
And now, after a Mk2 Focus RS, 3 x Freelander 2's, 2 x Discovery 4's, its....
Impossible to show here within site image size restrictions
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tigger, Eeyore & Roo For This Useful Post:
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2010, 10:08 AM
aka Nick

United Kingdom Male

Send a message via AIM to MINICooperMurph Send a message via MSN to MINICooperMurph
Was the same on my 1 series. The clear coat is actually poo on BMWs and MINIs. On some new MINIs I think the orange peal is really bad and I am sure that they are pushing the paint shop too hard and not taking a little more time with them

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 10:36 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View caveman_dave's Classified Ads

I have had my Clubby D since June 2010 and covered 4600 miles, my only major gripe is the paintwork, it chips so easily, but atleast the foglamps are wren proof.

The best way to protect your paintwork against bird poo is 2 or 3 good coats of hard wax, I use Auto Glym HD wax. I spend 4 weeks from home at a time, when I get home its covered, but it washes off with no damage to laquer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0096.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	160337  

I dont need to make my car go faster, I just need to learn to drive it faster.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Stooey

United Kingdom Male View Stoo Med's White Silver & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Clubman Profile View Stoo Med's Classified Ads

Living by the coast those seagulls sure know how to sh*t... I agree with Dave and use several coats of AG HD Wax. It aint cheap (halfords did a 2 for 1 in July so I stocked up) but does the trick. Also top it off with AG Extra Gloss Protection and get any fresh droppings off with Meguiers Speed Detailer.

I've had a fair few warranty claims in last 2.5 years and have today signed up for the BMW diesel engined model hoping it'll be better than the PSA lump. After numerous oil leaks, particulate filter issues and the like the BMW lump cant be any worse. The dealer charged MINI 741 for the last oil leak fix.. Ouch, certain don't wanna be caught without a warranty!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in