post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:35 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

water inside door skin

Hi,

Have a 2011 clubman - opened the rear door today and noticed that it sloshes with water when it opens, had a look and it seems that I have water inside the door skin rather than in the plastic part...also a bit of water in the wheel well

Is this a known issue? Can't see any drain holes on the underside of the door - was raining quite hard this weekend but didn't think it was raining that hard! The other boot door is fine, no water inside that one

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 2012, 06:12 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
MINI2 Master

Quoted: 53 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

I dont have a Clubman, but most doors, well nearly all Ive known have some sort of drainage holes in the bottom normally at the lowest part where the outer skin folds up and round the inner door frame.
Water can built up inside not only from rain water ingress that can get in through badly fitted rubber grommets, split seals or even through the rear wiper spindle, but also sweating too during quick ambient temperature changes, so not to have drain holes would be a big mistake, Im sure there must be some, and they could be block by the very thing that supposed to stop internal corrosion due to water and thats the cavity anti rust wax they put in at the factory, this may blocked up a drain hole?
If the door fills up with water that it will eventually leak into the boot lowest point, ie the wheel well.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2012, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Thanks for the advise - checked and no drain holes I can see in the bottom of the doors, I've booked it into Mini (under warranty) in about 3 weeks time to take a look as the water is still inside the door skin

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2012, 01:45 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Well thats very strange, Ive got a MINI hatch and thats got drain holes in the bottom of the doors and rear hatch and bonnet box section to let water out should any get in, as I would expect, and I would expect on the Clubman rear door/s too.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Car went into the garage yesterday - they spent first day looking and rang to say they couldn't find a leak, thankfully took the clubman into mini a few weeks ago and they pulled a rubber bung on the door and a buckets worth of water leaked onto the forecourt so no arguments about whether there's a problem or not,

Rang back today and they reckon they've found the leak - coming from the door handle so they have ordered a new one and should be picking it up later
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nun View Post
Well thats very strange, Ive got a MINI hatch and thats got drain holes in the bottom of the doors and rear hatch and bonnet box section to let water out should any get in, as I would expect, and I would expect on the Clubman rear door/s too.
yep - it was me not looking properly, there was a well hidden rubber bung (I was looking for a hole! )
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2013, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

bit of a grave dig but saw I hadn't posted an update - went in to mini and on the repeat visit they determined it was a leaky seam in the body panels - fixed it and all fine now

Interestingly I was told in a different conversation with Mini UK that water ingress wasn't covered under warranty and would loved to have had that conversation at the time, seeing as it was a manufacturing fault causing the problem!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2013, 10:22 AM
MINI2 Privilege Member
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by lard View Post
bit of a grave dig but saw I hadn't posted an update - went in to mini and on the repeat visit they determined it was a leaky seam in the body panels - fixed it and all fine now

Interestingly I was told in a different conversation with Mini UK that water ingress wasn't covered under warranty and would loved to have had that conversation at the time, seeing as it was a manufacturing fault causing the problem!
Mmmm depends what they mean by that? Water ingress caused by a manufacturing fault yes I would expect it to be covered, water ingress due to someone leaving a window open, driving through floodwater or from blocked up sunroof gutters no.
I would think by that term they mean any ingress not directly caused by a manufacturing/design fault?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2013, 07:32 AM
MINI2 Senior

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Luxembourg Male

I see I got screwed. I had the water in the spare wheel well issue in 2012 after my warranty ran out. Was told it was due to a leak in the seam of the body panels as well. I was told it would not be covered under warranty even though I argued that it must be a manufacturing fault. I pushed and pushed and the dealer wouldn't budge.

Cost me about Ä200 for the repair.

Now I'm a little bit angry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lard View Post

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in