Left Rear Door won't open
Hello - would really appreciate the advice of anyone who's made it through similar problems.
I've spent a couple of weeks reading through any threads I can find on this issue but haven't made any progress.
- I've read and used the useful thread on getting the door open manually by reaching under the plastic door sill trim.
- I've read that the mechanism can fail - so I've replaced this.
- I've read that the right hand door latch needs to send a message to allow the left hand door to open. I've replaced this latch too, but found that when I did this the door still did open and the alarm goes off when ever I unlocked the car, so I changed this back.
- I read that the handles can fail and the contacts should be cleaned. This seemed like a sealed unit when I removed it so I bought a second hand one - (checked this with a multimeter and the switch seems to be working) but this hasn't made any difference.
SO questions -
1. Can anyone shed any light on why the alarm was triggered by the new latch? Does this require programming by Mini?
2. Any other ideas of what I am missing?
3. The car is 8 years old and my budget is limited - should I take this to a mini garage if cannot resolve myself? How will the costs escalate?
Thanks so much for any help
Thom (Bristol, England)