LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:37 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Lowering advice

Hi all, UK Noob here.

Recently pickup up a 2013 Cooper Clubman and am looking into lowering it.

I would prefer to have lowered springs than coilovers but I can't seem to find a great deal of information about which shocks will be suitable.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what springs and shocks will work together - i'm looking for around a 30mm drop?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2017, 11:00 AM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Norway Male

These will work with the factory dampers according to Eibach: PRO-KIT Performance Springs (Set of 4 Springs)*| Eibach Springs
1.1 " Front and 0.9" Rear.

Or these from H&R: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-h-and-r-...-as-set/50454/
1.4" front and rear.

Milpol likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2017, 11:14 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 01:37 AM
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)

Australia Male

Garage
One of the issues with just lowering springs is that you compromise the function of the shock absorber as you have restricted its range of movement. You need to consider the change in camber, reduced suspension travel on normal roads so comfort is an issue. Drop links may require changing and your drive shafts (CV Joints) will be operating at an angle which they are not really designed for. If your going to use lowering springs, your also looking at possible spring seats and matching shocks at least. Coilover kits offer you a matching spring and shock set where the shocks operate to their full range of motion. Most Mini's have an average of 100mm or 4" of suspension travel which isn't much so a 30 mm drop is very significant. For car shows, yes they look nice lowered, for track days, my club has several drivers and non have lowered their cars, for the open public road, its honestly not worth it IMHO. For what its worth, my R50 is on coilovers, Car was lowered for a car show and after was reset to the default ride height and as such, drives very well, when it was lowered, the ride was harsh and often bottomed out on roads and annoyed the hell out of me and that was with a 25mm drop !
SeanC and Cooper R like this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

So what shocks do you think would work with the H&R springs? This is the bit i'm struggling with
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2017, 11:52 AM
MINI2 Regular

Norway Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo162 View Post
So what shocks do you think would work with the H&R springs? This is the bit i'm struggling with
Those are OEM replacements, which means that they will fit the orginal shocks on the car.
If you're looking for coilovers from H&R you can find a set here: https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2013-...ion/Coilovers/
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2017, 12:27 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)

England Male

Reputable suppliers like Bilstein and KONI, Eibach, H&R and others all offer matched spring & damper lowering kits with the springs and dampers matched to work together.
No idea what country you are in. Where are you? If you are not in the US there is no need to be buying items like this from there and paying big shipment and maybe customs fees.

Milpol is correct in the geometry engineering principles stated (cos he knows a lot!). The suspension design engineer will have worked with an 'envelope' of parameters within which all the various components will work satisfactorily. I don't think a kit with a 30mm drop will take things outside that 'envelope' and cause any issues. Thousands of people do it all the time without any ill affects. 'Slamming' the car to the ground on coilovers will ruin the handling and be potentiall dangerous on the road. Be aware a lowering kit will likely make the ride a fair bit firmer/harsher.

But don't put lowering springs on with the standard dampers. It will be horrible.
Cooper R likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2017, 12:41 PM
MINI2 Regular

Norway Male

No idea what country you are in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK View Post
Where are you? If you are not in the US there is no need to be buying items like this from there and paying big shipment and maybe customs fees.
It was just the first site that came up with those kits, there is no reason to buy from there unless you live in the US, or like me live in a Country where it doesn't matter where you order from since it is going to be expensive either way.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Thanks for the replies - i'm based in the UK...

I've looked at the lowered springs but can't seem to find matching shocks.

My main reason for lowering is to get rid of the massive gap over the front wheels - i'm not going after the slammed look.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2017, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Just to add - i was looking at the H&R springs and they seems to get OK reviews, just couldn't find shocks to match.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2019, 10:48 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Springs to fit standard dampers really need two criteria;

1) They're long enough to be held securely in the damper. If they're too short, the spring can come unseated when the car's weight is lifted off the spring (going over a hill at speed, or even a kerb). This would be an MoT failure. If the spring is too short for the damper then you'll need shortened dampers.

2) If the spring rate is too hard for the damper then the car will bounce excessively (under-damped) and the car won't be safe under testing conditions. In this case, uprated dampers will be required. Needless to say, a full lowering kit will consist of lower firmer springs and shortened uprated dampers.

Personally i like to run stock dampers (the MINI is firm enough!) with a sensible spring - even if this means buying new stock dampers, as using worn ones only means you'll be doing the job again before long...

Don't be concerned about how much of a damper's travel you use. Some people jump speed ramps for breakfast, others never get anywhere near the bump stops. But if your dampers are old and the top half of the pistons are rusty, and you then remove the bump stops and slam it on it's sills, needless to say the rusty top end of the dampers are now gonna damage the seals. New (or recent) dampers are a good idea.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in