Mass airflow sensor missing? - MINI Cooper Forum

MINI Clubman MINI Clubman 2007 - Present

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
ged77det's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 
Mass airflow sensor missing?

Hi everyone.
I have a UK Clubman 2007 non S.
I have searched high and low to find diagrams, even on the BMW mini parts website, and I cannot find the MAS.
What is odd, is that the airbox (original equipment) has a downward air hose into the intake, yet everything I see on websites, youtube and BMW says the at the MAS is easily accessible and visible. I think mine is tucked down behind the bulkhead very close to the intake manifold.
Anyone else know if this is the case and has photographs?

ged77det is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2017, 07:03 AM
MINI2 Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Melbourne
Local Time: 04:23 AM
Posts: 1,893
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)

Australia Male
 
Garage
MINI Cooper R56 Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor Replacement (2007-2011) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

Milpol is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2017, 08:56 AM
MINI2 Newbie
 
drwizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

 
Garage
my Cooper S doesnt have a MAS/MAF on the main turbo feed apparently only the works version had them this early not sure if its the same on yours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21463414_10159674390505157_3070948844235395625_n.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	219282  

Life is what you make it
2 wheels or 4
Petrol or Diesel Make sure they are Dirty
drwizz is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2017, 08:53 PM
MINI2 Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lancashire
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
 
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwizz View Post
my Cooper S doesnt have a MAS/MAF on the main turbo feed apparently only the works version had them this early not sure if its the same on yours
Yeah, my 2008 built MCS Clubbie doesn't have a MAF either.

2008 R55 MCS Clubbie
2003 R53 MCS Hatch
freck99 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2019, 01:30 PM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

 
same problem

hi what was the outcome thanks
gasgas666 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2019, 01:52 PM
MINI2 Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: down west somewhere
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Posts: 4,314
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgas666 View Post
hi what was the outcome thanks
looking at engine from out side its on right hand side of the inlet manifold between the vvt motor and inlet manifold need to remover the air filter box off makes it easyier its held in by a single 8mm taper screw will need a socket and 3 inch extension bar on it,,,link below shows what it looks like,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inlet-Man...TQx:rk:13:pf:0
mike1967 is online now  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2019, 04:49 PM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

 
hi I found that today and thought it was the map sensor.
gasgas666 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2019, 05:03 PM
MINI2 Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: down west somewhere
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Posts: 4,314
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgas666 View Post
hi I found that today and thought it was the map sensor.
its combined has more than two wires off it. most of fuelling on that system is based on the closed circuit wide band 02 sensors added to that sensor,, rarely do they go faulty more chance of 02 sensors being the problem or the breather pipe from the top of rocker cover is cracked where cant see it, only way to be sure is smoke test the inlet manifold or remove the breather and check it for cracks, new pipe in uk from bmw if £28 the last one i bought, what fault codes have you got
mike1967 is online now  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 01:46 PM
MINI2 Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Local Time: 07:23 PM
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom View solidsponge's Classified Ads
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
its combined has more than two wires off it. most of fuelling on that system is based on the closed circuit wide band 02 sensors added to that sensor,, rarely do they go faulty more chance of 02 sensors being the problem or the breather pipe from the top of rocker cover is cracked where cant see it, only way to be sure is smoke test the inlet manifold or remove the breather and check it for cracks, new pipe in uk from bmw if £28 the last one i bought, what fault codes have you got

Hi, I don't suppose you could help me out? I have a fault code of the air mass flow (my stop start also doesnt work I think due to this and I have a lifetime oil filter which I think has caused it to get dirty or fail). Reading about it, American cars have a maf and uk ones have a map sensor. I cannot find the map sensor either. I just don't get where it is. Is it on the left hand side of the engine inside this pipe at the bottom?

I took the air filter off and its just a hole on the left. I'm really stuck, I have looked everything I can visually see, but It is confusing what the map sensor even is. I've read so many forum posts about it, but no one seems to know. I'd be really grateful if you could help.

Here is a photo.

Additionally I am thinking it is this https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/vemo/12868266 ? So maybe it is attached and I can't see it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1568_d.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	228333   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1559b.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	228337  
solidsponge is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 02:39 PM
MINI2 Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: down west somewhere
Local Time: 06:23 PM
Posts: 4,314
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsponge View Post
Hi, I don't suppose you could help me out? I have a fault code of the air mass flow (my stop start also doesnt work I think due to this and I have a lifetime oil filter which I think has caused it to get dirty or fail). Reading about it, American cars have a maf and uk ones have a map sensor. I cannot find the map sensor either. I just don't get where it is. Is it on the left hand side of the engine inside this pipe at the bottom?

I took the air filter off and its just a hole on the left. I'm really stuck, I have looked everything I can visually see, but It is confusing what the map sensor even is. I've read so many forum posts about it, but no one seems to know. I'd be really grateful if you could help.

Here is a photo.

Additionally I am thinking it is this https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/vemo/12868266 ? So maybe it is attached and I can't see it.
the maf and map sensors are combined n the pro=ince engine you have a prince engine non turbo gong by pics, looking at the front of car this sensor is totally hidden you need to remove the air box on the right side and then feel between the vvt motor on cylinder head downwards you will see the black plastic inlet plastic box its screwed in to this with a single 4mm torx bit or some have a 8mm bolt head,, its a royal pain in arse to remove,,
word of warning most fault codes that say maff or map plausibilty faults tend to be nothing to do with sensor and end up being a air leak somewhere, worth doing a smoke test on inlet pipes


Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
mike1967 is online now  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 05:54 PM
MINI2 Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Local Time: 07:23 PM
Posts: 340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom View solidsponge's Classified Ads
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
the maf and map sensors are combined n the pro=ince engine you have a prince engine non turbo gong by pics, looking at the front of car this sensor is totally hidden you need to remove the air box on the right side and then feel between the vvt motor on cylinder head downwards you will see the black plastic inlet plastic box its screwed in to this with a single 4mm torx bit or some have a 8mm bolt head,, its a royal pain in arse to remove,,
word of warning most fault codes that say maff or map plausibilty faults tend to be nothing to do with sensor and end up being a air leak somewhere, worth doing a smoke test on inlet pipes

Thank you for replying! I did have all that stuff off originally, I'll do it again and report back when I do it. Sorry yes I forgoet to say its a 2008 clubman, justa cooper.

Oh I don't think I'm skilled enough to do a smoke test, the only thing that makes me think it could be the sensor originally is they can get dirty if you use an oil based air filter (which I do) and you can clean it with a spray, but that advice is for the american engines so I dont know if can even clean this one.

Thanks again! Ill try it and once I cant find it again ill maybe post some pics! haha!
solidsponge is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome