MINI Clubman MINI Clubman 2007 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:44 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

When does your car become uneconomic

I have a mini clubman cooper s with jcw kit. And since day one it's a car that keeps taking...for instance vanos valve replaced,new cam cover l,clutch and flywheel. Now timing chain requires some attention so to speak. If I was to include all serviceable parts. Discs pads oil brake fluid, coils. In the 3 yrs I have owned it my pocket has had a beating. But even now I cannot walk away from the car and say enough is enough. Other than a total write off from the insurance will. In total I'm almost shelled out the purchase price of the car on keeping the thing running.

What would it take you the average mini owner to walk away

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2018, 10:04 AM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 51 Post(s)

Spain Male

as you say, other than being totalled in an accident, there is pleasure and a sense of pride in DIY mechanics that is required to keep any older car in good condition and safe. For me, the idea of shelling out for a new car from a dealership and the depreciation is a no. Been there and lost 12K value on an Alfa after one year. Never again, so, for the cost of routine maintenance and even the odd big job I am content with the costs involved.

Cooper 2009, R57.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

I just love how quick the thing is.... small jobs I'll do myself... but engine related. I leave to the pros.. just for peace of mind of having someone to blame she it goes t.u. And the car always to show a fault when the weather is inclement. Hve good labour rates at local garage.. so I don't mind in buying parts.. And having the fitted. I'd never understand the need of having a health check done on a mini.. ssws.. highlighted areas of interest and also dismissed some areas of concern.. it might not be the fastest.. it's the quickest thing I have drove for a long time..

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2018, 11:04 AM
knt
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 36 Post(s)

I don't think serviceable parts should be considered as all cars will have this factor, some parts might be more and some less expensive.

For me "When does your car become uneconomic", is when it cost more to repair the car than what the car is actually worth.

Currently the engine is getting rebuilt which will probably cost me 2/3X what the car is actually worth.

I'm getting it done just because if I get another car the value of that car would deprecate greatly within the next few years compared to the repair costs.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2018, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

I think for me a engine rebuild... would be close to that point. Not for the cost but the time is be with out car as I don't have a second vehicle to fall back on. But I would not part with it... just have to kick down and play for lotto win
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2018, 02:55 PM
knt
MINI2 Regular

You're spot on, luckily the garage doing my rebuild could borrow me one of theirs otherwise renting would've made the costs even higher .
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2018, 08:45 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholley40 View Post
I have a mini clubman cooper s with jcw kit. And since day one it's a car that keeps taking...for instance vanos valve replaced,new cam cover l,clutch and flywheel. Now timing chain requires some attention so to speak. If I was to include all serviceable parts. Discs pads oil brake fluid, coils. In the 3 yrs I have owned it my pocket has had a beating. But even now I cannot walk away from the car and say enough is enough. Other than a total write off from the insurance will. In total I'm almost shelled out the purchase price of the car on keeping the thing running.

What would it take you the average mini owner to walk away
its a hard one, i stopped buying cars on how they make me feel a long time ago now and since that point i've stopped bleeding money on them, what ever i buy now arrives broken in the first place at broken money so i'm not paying retail money and then find something big goes wrong with it, i buy them because they are proper broken and engines get removed and rebuilt like a new one and trade parts make a massive difference.. its not just mini or bmw products that have become weak after 50k of use, i done a 2012 astra diesel the other day 70k on it had melted the cylinder block between number 3 and 4 cylinders a very common problem when driven with a blocked dp filter, it also had 2 injectors faulty, seen a number of honda 1.8vtec engines with cracked cylinder blocks another common issue there a recall with honda on this, ie ie engine has done under 80k 8 years they will replace the engine, at least honda offer some fairness unlike vag group and bmw/mini with all their short comings, my point is there's no where to hide from these problems and sometimes its better the beast you know than taking on someone else's faulty cars, the best cars are the pre 2000 stuff getting collectable now bmw m3 mitsubushi evo 5 toyota supra etc kind of cars will only ever go up in value, and are by far better made
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2018, 09:23 AM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Sour Mash

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
When cost/mile exceeds a new car with a warranty

The value of the car is irrelevant IMO it is cost to replace you are looking at. All things equal it is better to spend x to fix a worthless car than >x buying another!!

2002 Mini Cooper R50, purchased Nov 2016
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2018, 09:36 AM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Sour Mash

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
PS agree with Mike I know someone a classic Mustang who always get asked what MPG they get...they say 10 but servicing is next to free and value is going up and up... works out about 40p a mile same as depreciation/fuel on a brand new Eco Box!!

2002 Mini Cooper R50, purchased Nov 2016
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2018, 09:45 AM
knt
MINI2 Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
its a hard one, i stopped buying cars on how they make me feel a long time ago now and since that point i've stopped bleeding money on them, what ever i buy now arrives broken in the first place at broken money so i'm not paying retail money and then find something big goes wrong with it, i buy them because they are proper broken and engines get removed and rebuilt like a new one and trade parts make a massive difference.. its not just mini or bmw products that have become weak after 50k of use, i done a 2012 astra diesel the other day 70k on it had melted the cylinder block between number 3 and 4 cylinders a very common problem when driven with a blocked dp filter, it also had 2 injectors faulty, seen a number of honda 1.8vtec engines with cracked cylinder blocks another common issue there a recall with honda on this, ie ie engine has done under 80k 8 years they will replace the engine, at least honda offer some fairness unlike vag group and bmw/mini with all their short comings, my point is there's no where to hide from these problems and sometimes its better the beast you know than taking on someone else's faulty cars, the best cars are the pre 2000 stuff getting collectable now bmw m3 mitsubushi evo 5 toyota supra etc kind of cars will only ever go up in value, and are by far better made
Good cars you have listed there, all engine blocks are forged as standard.

Besides, you could probably fix anything given time and money .

Some of use have to rely on garages .

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2018, 01:48 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by knt View Post
Good cars you have listed there, all engine blocks are forged as standard.

Besides, you could probably fix anything given time and money .

Some of use have to rely on garages .
yep i do bud cant help myself i drive my wife mental with latest little projects only thing i'm banned from is big bikes as not wired up right to own one anymore. its different these days as everything someone needs to learn about repairing anything is all on internet or forums, working on cars all my life as allowed to drive most things and own a lot of broken cars to be honest, think its a illness chain of events buy a broken car fix it use if or a few months get bored or another broken car gets offer me at silly cheap money and off i go again,, guess its the recyclable way of living,
i would say to anyone want to invest money better than any bank its going to be cars like evo's and supra skyline r34 sierra cosworth even the Mercedes 190 cozy will only increase,, think the Mercedes 500s will get more and more money,, just buy them when in a recession and sell when everyone wants one, its a shame cant go to Arab states and collect all them nice cars that gave been dumped by ex pats who lost their arses over there, thousands of top end cars no one owns but the dodgy government grab them up is storage yards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in