• 1 Post By mike1967

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 9th, 2019, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 04:17 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Check engine light came on immediately following oil change

Hello, I changed the oil in my 2010 Mini Clubman S today. Oil levels are good and there are no leaks. However, when I started the engine up, I noticed that now the check engine light is illuminated on the instrument cluster. I don't have a code reader. Any ideas why this light could have come on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 06:49 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsturim View Post
Hello, I changed the oil in my 2010 Mini Clubman S today. Oil levels are good and there are no leaks. However, when I started the engine up, I noticed that now the check engine light is illuminated on the instrument cluster. I don't have a code reader. Any ideas why this light could have come on?
what colour is the light, to reset service including the oil type used and mileages need diagnostics to do it correctly if yellow warning might be a service due warning can reset that with the function button in car google it will bring up answers
if red warning then have a issue with pressure, maybe cheap filter or filter not in correctly or wrong filter possible,

Third_Time_Lucky likes this.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

The check engine light is yellow. Took it to my local shop and a tech read the codes and said it was related to my cooling system and could cause my cooling fan to run a bit long after turning off the car, so there must be a faulty sensor. I'll be taking it back in next week when they've got time on their schedule. Seems unrelated to the oil change, but strange that is happened immediately after I did the oil change.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2019, 07:00 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
The check engine light is yellow. Took it to my local shop and a tech read the codes and said it was related to my cooling system and could cause my cooling fan to run a bit long after turning off the car, so there must be a faulty sensor. I'll be taking it back in next week when they've got time on their schedule. Seems unrelated to the oil change, but strange that is happened immediately after I did the oil change.
i believe there is a recall on temp sensors might be worth contacting main agents and ask the question might save you some money

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Great suggestion, thank you mike1967
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2019, 01:42 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Great suggestion, thank you mike1967
i now for sure there is a recall on all Peugeot and Citroen with same prince engines for temp sensor linked to oil light problems i believe are connected as the sensor runs the wrong temp so engine gets to hot for the oil and oil thins with heat etc, i just went through all this with main agents on a c4 with coolant sensor reading below freezing ie -48 all the time and thermostat would not open so car cooked in 10 minutes, turns out it was a bsi issue ie the central ecu that deals with it, main agent told me there were a number of recalls around the thermostat housing and sensor etc,
my fault was the mother of all faults, wiring striped and ecu tested etc new thermostat housing,, this was all produced from the thermostat housing melting inside and going short circuit to positive and shorting out the ecu,, but not the under bonnet one you would think it would, car electronics are getting silly

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2019, 02:12 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

below link worth a read
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...re-sensor.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in