LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 05:56 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:16 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Female

Wiggis,

If you want to bring in conservation of momentum the mini cooper s in 1205kg, 1 series 1455kg and the 3 series 1655kg. Thats a difference of 250kg with the 1 series and 450kg with the 3 series. So ummm lets say the mini had a full load of passengers weight 75kg and boot full say 25kg (going on holiday), thus 325kg added to 1205kg is now 1530kg and the 1 series with only the driver same weight is now 1530kg....................so as conservation of momentum states they are the same weight. Thus now crumple zones will come into it............. as you state yourself

Those same deccelerative forces can be reduced by clever design (crumple zones to absorb some energy and thus change the coefficient of restitution, airbags to reduce the decellerative forces which apply to your head inside the car, etc),

If the 1950's HGV had no crumple zones and the mini had superb ones and even though the mini driver was decelerated from 40 to 0 and the HGV 20 to zero the crumple zones could quite possibly redcue the deceleration for the passenger from 40 down to 20 on air bags etc to the same as the HGV driver who was thrown about in a seatbelt less, metal cage.

To be honest I can't really be bothered debating over the subject there are pleanty of buts and what ifs surrounding the subject. If a 20st bloke (if he got in, in the first place )in a mini exactly the same as mine hit me 9st then c.o.m is in his favour. Blah. Blah. Blah. I am quite aware of the conservation of momentum.

So....................To conclude the c.o.m is meaningless when you factor in a H.G.V. or any car or smaller road vehichle than that.

So the point of my post is that on a busy motorway, size does matter,

no mass matters...........

Surely the aspect of safety is entirely up to the the driver it is an aspect everyone considers and I didn't take it lightly. Considering the average weight of a compact is 1300kg and the mini 1205kg and I kind of think that the c.o.m isnt going to be an issue. If we all thought along the lines of what is safe and excluded fun things we wouldn't do anything and life is DULL without any risk involved ...........ask the SCID kids

It would have been far more useful to give a pro con list rattle no rattle list, common faults for the R56 to look out for, for a prospective mini purchaser rather than a directed lecture in c.o.m directed at myself which frankly I covered at A-level. I would rather be lectured in the ipsilateral and contralateral spinoreticular tracts as that is of more use thankyou.

BTW do you have harnesses fitted rather than seat belts, as to not rupture your spleen in the POSSIBLE event of an accident.

Good look Trapper. The mini is ace

P.S. On the mini web it appears as though the space saver wheel is 40.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Life after MINI

United Kingdom

Wow, I'm now being ranted at by someone who was so ill informed that just a couple of posts ago they wrote this garbage comparing the safety of a MINI with a Range Rover (both NCAP 4 don't y'know!) and describing the difference in size as slight :

Quote:
Originally Posted by hu0u5078 View Post
BTW as most people know it doesn't make a difference how BIG a car is to how SAFE it is. The old mini is a 4 star safety rating (the new should be even better) and the range rover a 4 star safety rating ( adult occupancy). Slight difference in size

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 06:30 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Female

Wow, I'm now being ranted at by someone who was so ill informed that just a couple of posts ago they wrote this garbage :

Quote: Originally Posted by hu0u5078 (original)BTW as most people know it doesn't make a difference how BIG a car is to how SAFE it is

You don't make sense, being ill informed yourself over the actual weights of cars. The few 100kgs is really insignificant in the grand scheme of things with safety aspects etc. The above quote was not garbage. It would have been garbage if I had had replaced mass for Big. Just because its big doesn't mean its safer, you said yourself its mass which is the main issue.

I choose the ncap for an example of safety, you choose c.o.m not everyone is familiar with this, most are with ncap. I am because I did it at A-level.

BTW I don't rant I debate

P.S If you really want to debate pm me, I'd rather not fill trappers thread up with general opinions on mechanics/physics

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
6X therapist

View Goonery's Classified Ads

I've driven all the R56's and although the Cooper D is probably a little over priced for me its the best of the bunch when you learn how to to use it. I've a GP at the moment and thats probably the best MINI ever.................. period. BUT if I were looking for an R56 then the Cooper D is the one I'd go for. Once you have it figured its just fantastic for what it is and you get silly economy too.
In one word, The second best MINI ever...... probably
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 02:16 PM

United Kingdom

Hey guys, peace man, your going way over my head here, lets shake posts and be friends.

I was looking for your impressions, things you liked and things you don't in purely laymans terms. I like Minis but am not sure its right for my wife, she has a nice 320d Compact, comfortable, reliable, fairly economical and just had a new turbo courtesy of BMW although the car is now out of warranty, my wife has a hankering for a Mini and she also wants comfort and economy with a little grunt when needed. The 1 series is out of the question and BMW no longer make the 3 series Compact. So, her choice is to keep what she has (has my vote) or go for the Mini Cooper D, or keep looking? I am trying to arrange a longer test drive as a girl at work has a Mini 1 and finds the seat uncomfortable on longer journeys, perhaps a longer test drive will help her make her mind up.

I will keep you posted.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:21 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 No.1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

England Male

Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
The Cooper D hasn't gone on general sale yet, so driving impressions will be few and far between.

I thought it was excellent, and if I were looking for a MINI just now is the one I'd plumb for: MINI2 Drives the MINI Cooper Diesel
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Thanks Paul, I agree it will be difficult to give driving impressions of a car that has not been released, that was why I was asking for Mini driving impressions in general. If the members reported similar general impressions of a Mini 2 then we would take a note of these when we took our next drive, notchy gearbox, turbo lag, noisy over bumps, stiff clutch or what ever. Just things we could look out for.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:48 PM
MINI2 No.1

England Male

The gearbox is a little "notchy by nature", so that's to be expected, but it shouldn't be a challenge to engage gears.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Life after MINI

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Thanks Paul, I agree it will be difficult to give driving impressions of a car that has not been released, that was why I was asking for Mini driving impressions in general. If the members reported similar general impressions of a Mini 2 then we would take a note of these when we took our next drive, notchy gearbox, turbo lag, noisy over bumps, stiff clutch or what ever. Just things we could look out for.
I can tell you about my MINI Cooper (petrol not diesel)

1) Powerful enough to be good fun
2) Averaging 38 mpg over the first 1,800 miles
3) No rattles or odd noises
4) Gearbox is 'snick snick' smooth between all gears - addictive
5) Handles bumps perfectly fine - ride is smooth on standard 15 inch wheels with normal tyres (not runflats)
6) Clutch is nicely weighted, but has quite a long travel - be careful to make sure you press it right into the carpet before changing gear, or you might find the gearbox harder work than it really is.
7) Brakes are fiercely strong !

Things to look out for

a) Bonnet alignment especially over front wheel arches can be poor
b) Bonnet release catch can be extremely stiff
c) Electric door mirrors sometimes reluctant to move
d) Takes a little while to get the seat in the right position
e) Air conditioning works, but is not particularly powerful
f) Radio sound quality is not brilliant - lacking in bass
g) Drivers side carpets move around a lot - make sure it doesn't obstruct the pedals
h) The seatbelt can get trapped between the door moulding and the rear plastics - there is a sliding plastic clip which you can adjust to stop this happening
i) Use the gears - performance can be poor if you labour the engine - may be different in the Diesel
j) Warning light for boot open might come on - switch is too sensitive out of the factory
k) Standard headlights are rotten - you need Xenon's if you intend to drive at night - trust me on this one thing if nothing else

And finally - a more massive car with larger crumple zones is safer than a lighter car with smaller crumple zones. Don't say I didn't tell you !

Last edited by wiggis; Apr 13th, 2007 at 09:04 PM.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Cheers Wiggis, thats exactly what I was hoping for, we are trying to arrange a mid week test drive so we can go for a longer and more thorough test. Now we have a few things to check out, you never can cover all the ins and outs ,but it pays to ask first than ask yourself later why you didn't ask first

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 09:28 AM
MINI2 No.1

England Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggis View Post
And finally - a more massive car with larger crumple zones is safer than a lighter car with smaller crumple zones. Don't say I didn't tell you !
You mean like the 1 Euro Ncap star Chrysler Voyager versus the 5 Star Vauxhall Corsa?

http://www.euroncap.com/images/resul...0datasheet.pdf

post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Life after MINI

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mullett View Post
You mean like the 1 Euro Ncap star Chrysler Voyager versus the 5 Star Vauxhall Corsa?

The Voyager has a shocking result, no doubt ...... but it weighs 2068 kgs compared to the Corsa, which weighs 1075 kgs. Consider a real world crash between those two cars in particular....

In a head on collision when both cars are doing 30 mph, at the point immediately after collision, the combined mass of both cars will be heading down the road in the direction that the Voyager was travelling at a speed of about 9.5 mph - resulting from conservation of momentum ((2068 * 30 mph) - (1075 * 30 mph)) / (2068+1075).

Looking at force equivalences, passengers in the Voyager would have experienced the same physical effects as if they had crashed into a solid block of concrete at 20.5 mph, whereas passengers in the Corsa would have experienced the effects of a crash into solid concrete at 39.5 mph.

Even though the Corsa is a much safer design, I would still place my bets on the Voyager passengers walking away from it, and the Corsa occupants being in hospital - purely as a result of the difference in masses of the cars.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2007, 10:43 AM
MINI2 No.1

England Male

My only head on crash was in a classic Mini against a Range Rover. They were both written off, but somehow we managed to walk away! I wouldn't advise testing it though!

And in many ways it does feel safer floating around in the in-laws XC90 than in the MINI, mostly because you think if anything does hit us it will be swallowed up by our undercarriage, but in other ways it feels a bit hairy (due to the comparative lack of grunt and manoeuvrability).
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 12:01 AM
MINIMAT

England Male

Send a message via MSN to MINIMAT
I was watching a late night programme on the OU that covered crashes. Once you start crashing at above 30mph you have other things to worry about regardless of what you are sitting in.

The vehicle is going forward at 70mph. You hit something head on. Your body comes to a stop thanks to the seat belt etc. Your internal organs don't. Your heart is still going forward and the arteries connecting to it may rip out. At that point you are a gonner anyway regardless as to whether anything has physically hit you inside the car.

Here's a Smart Car getting crashed:

YouTube - smart car crash

You need to note the comments at the end. Even though the occupant inside wouldn't have been touched in both cars you still might have been killed from the crash from arteries ripping out of internal organs

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Let the Cooper D come...

Local Time: 04:16 PM

Belgium Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIMAT View Post
I was watching a late night programme on the OU that covered crashes. Once you start crashing at above 30mph you have other things to worry about regardless of what you are sitting in.

The vehicle is going forward at 70mph. You hit something head on. Your body comes to a stop thanks to the seat belt etc. Your internal organs don't. Your heart is still going forward and the arteries connecting to it may rip out. At that point you are a gonner anyway regardless as to whether anything has physically hit you inside the car.

Here's a Smart Car getting crashed:

YouTube - smart car crash

You need to note the comments at the end. Even though the occupant inside wouldn't have been touched in both cars you still might have been killed from the crash from arteries ripping out of internal organs
Indeed.
I wonder what the G-Forces would be on a body, going from 60 to 0 in a millisecond...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in