post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

United-Kingdom Wifes thinking of a Mini Cooper Diesel

Hi folks.
First Post, still, we all have to start somewhere!!

My wife covers around 80 miles a day to and from work, mostly M1 (Through the road works near Luton) and at present uses a BMW320d Compact. She is thinking of changing to a Mini Cooper Diesel when they come out. We have had a short test drive in a petrol version but this was too short really to come to any great decision.

Would any driver who uses their car for similar milages kindly let us know their thoughts? For example noise on RF tyres or Non RF tyres, seat comfort, ride quality, nags or niggles, good point and bad points. Anything really to give us a drivers (Not dealers) opinion. Obviously the diesel is yet to be released and we are expecting a call so we can take another test drive but your comments would be very welcome. I realise this is only supposition but it will give us some idea's.

Many thanks

Trapper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 08:51 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male View captain's Liquid Yellow & Body Color 1st Gen MINI One Diesel Profile

hi trapper
i have a 04 oneD and it is a very good car it is realy good on motorways & i love it ,i hade a new r56 cooper petrol for 2 days last month & i still think mine is better
not sure how the new diesel will be or iff they have got rid off all the r56 faults but the new cooper was a good ride and drive & i love the new interior , i just missed the lack of torque so constant gear changing .is needed when you slow down a bit
the old oneD is far quicker than old one & coopers

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Life after MINI

Local Time: 04:12 AM

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
My wife covers around 80 miles a day to and from work, mostly M1 (Through the road works near Luton) and at present uses a BMW320d Compact. She is thinking of changing to a Mini Cooper Diesel when they come out. We have had a short test drive in a petrol version but this was too short really to come to any great decision.

Trapper
Welcome !

For what it's worth, consider a BMW 120d as well, or even a BMW 320d.

My own feeling is that a MINI (whatever type) is just not a motorway car - a back road blaster, yes, a town/city car, definitely, even a track car, and I could agree.

But let me ask you this. If you are unlucky enough to be involved in an accident on the M1, would you choose to be in a rear wheel drive 120d, with a nice strong prop shaft along the length of the car and some distance between the boot and the drivers seat, or in a front wheel drive MINI with about 5 feet between your back and the tailgating Mercedes Sprinter driving idiot behind you.

Don't get me wrong - I love the MINI - but if I'm going any distance on a motorway, then I'll take one of my bigger cars. I took my MINI to Heathrow from Oxford once (about a 110 mile round trip) and frankly, while the car performed perfectly fine, the feeling of exposure to other road users was overwhelming and frankly scary. I won't be doing it again.

If I were doing 80 miles a day on a motorway, I would not choose a MINI, I'd be looking for something with a bonnet and a boot and a little bit of mass.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 09:48 PM
MINI2 Regular

Hi trapper

I have an 05 OneD in which I cover similar mileage, mostly motorway. I previously had an MCS which was much noiser (not counting the rattles!). I love the torque of the diesel and average 58mpg according to the OBC. 62mpg is easily achievable if you do 65mph and use cruise control

Even driving very carefully I only ever achieved at best 31mpg in the S.

Have driven an R56 Cooper - max torque at higher revs = worse fuel consumption than the diesel! - and its noisier!

I'm sure the CooperD will be fantastic and in Tax Band B very cheap to tax, only downside being the wait to see if quality control reported on this site is improved soon. IMHO my first thoughts have not changed about the centre console since I saw it in the first pictures - I hate it!

Fully appreciate the comments about car mass on a busy motorway - can only comment on my own experiences in the S which was written off after a bike hit me head on with a closing speed of around 90mph. I only suffered a minor burn from the airbag and walked away unscathed, testimony to its safe design.

Hope my comments are helpful!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2007, 09:56 PM
MINI2 Regular

Forgot to mention about tyres - had 17" RFs on S spokes on the the S which were awful. Swapped for NRFs

Have 16" RF on the D - no complaints about either ride or noise

Last edited by minikar; Apr 6th, 2007 at 09:57 PM. Reason: mistake
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Okay, not sure of protocol here but it seems that posts that have been moved do not record views or seem to get replies, so I am replying to my own post to see what happens!

Well there are replies afterall! but I could not see them unitl I replied ,which I assume then took me to where the post had been moved to. Better start reading eh!!

Trapper
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:27 AM
ABG
MINI2 Privilege Member
Yatta!!

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper View Post
Okay, not sure of protocol here but it seems that posts that have been moved do not record views or seem to get replies, so I am replying to my own post to see what happens!

Nobody got any thoughts on my questions?
I can see 4 replies between your first post and the post quoted above ?

It's been a couple of years since we had our MINI and it wasn't a diesel so I can't add anything other than opinion.

There is a very recent review of the Cooper D on the M2 now - if you haven't seen it its an interesting read

https://www.mini2.com/article442-excl...er-diesel.html

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:40 AM
MINIMAT

England Male

Send a message via MSN to MINIMAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggis View Post

If I were doing 80 miles a day on a motorway, I would not choose a MINI, I'd be looking for something with a bonnet and a boot and a little bit of mass.

The only flaw with that thinking is when everyone follows suit. Look at 4x4's on the school run as they all want to wrap their child up in a big tank. Anyway the car has had lots of crash testing and if you look at some of the posts on the forum you'd be amazed at how good the Mini has been at protecting it's occupants.

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Had a read, My will be selling her 320d Compact which she is currently driving, she had a Series 1 BMW as a loan car and felt it was claustrophobic with the narrow windows and she hated the ride on RFt's.

I agree safety is of paramount importance which is one reason why I posted here, I drive a 5 series Tourer and have quite a few feet between me and the White Van man, something I value! Mini drivers are the best placed to give an honest opinion on their Mini's and I agree the latest dash/centre console is not a pathe on the previous model, its That speedo is like having Big Ben in Bed Sit, not my cup of tea I think its horrible, but hen I will not be the one buying it.

Thanks for your views kepp em coming!!

Trapper.

PS thanks for forum welcome
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:00 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom

I travel a similar distance daily on the M6 and M62. The petrol cooper is as good as any I've used on the journey and consistantly gives 50mpg.

The only downside is that you have to visit the petrol station quite often as the tank is small.

The car itself has been fine apart from the bonnet issue with is detailed somewhere on the faults and fixes forum.

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 11:54 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Female

Hi,

I have a R56 mini cooper s 17" runflats and non sport suspension. I had the previous shape cooper 18" non runflats and sports suspension . I chose the 17" and non sports to compensate for reasonably large wheels, while still achievng a comfortable ride.

I cover 90 miles a day mostly motorway and find the ride comfortable far more than my previous shape cooper. To be honest my boyfriend who is a lot older than me prefers his audi A4 estate seats for comfort. But he has only ever driven large executive cars. I suppose it depneds on your age and what you are used to.

As for road noise my R56 cooper s is almost silent compared to the previous cooper ( 5 speed and 18") and boyfs 320d, 328i and audi estate which is really quite noisy. But I don't know how noisy the cooper d engine will be. I have driven a R56 cooper and I would say that I found it noisier than the s. But I suppose it depends on the car.

I know your not looking at a cooper s, but my mpg from the OBC is 32.5mpg and it doesn't change if I do 90 or 70.

As for rattles in the car, I DON'T HAVE ANY this is getting really annoying with people criticising the R56 for rattles. Lets not forget that the people on here are only a very small proportion who actually own an R56. Lets not get carried away. Going down the rattle route my old cooper rattles far more. I still drive the car though.

As for nags, I have the gearbox grind when knocking down form 3 to 2 (don't know if its exclusvely cooper s but think it is). And about 1cm of trim around the drivers door roofline has peeled off But i'm pretty chilled about this its going to be looked at next week and the trim replaced. Don't know if anyone else had the annoyance of tar and dirt getting in between the flame spokes, but its pain to get off. Will probably change the wheels.

BTW as most people know it doesn't make a difference how BIG a car is to how SAFE it is. The old mini is a 4 star safety rating (the new should be even better) and the range rover a 4 star safety rating ( adult occupancy). Slight difference in size But I do see where people are coming from with the estate boot and white van drivers

I LOVE the car and I didn't want my boyfs 320d (yawn) or Audi Estae or an entry level BMW no offence . At 20 I wanted speed and gadgets which for the money I have got.

I hope this helps

Mel
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Life after MINI

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hu0u5078 View Post
BTW as most people know it doesn't make a difference how BIG a car is to how SAFE it is. The old mini is a 4 star safety rating (the new should be even better) and the range rover a 4 star safety rating ( adult occupancy). Slight difference in size But I do see where people are coming from with the estate boot and white van drivers
Mel
Mel, the physics of collisions between cars is fairly well understood. Conservation of momentum means that the heavier the vehicle, the less its overall change in momentum in a collision with another vehicle. Because of this, in a collision between a heavy car and a light car, the passengers in the heavy car will experience smaller deccelerative forces than those in the light car, and so will be less likely to be injured. Those same deccelerative forces can be reduced by clever design (crumple zones to absorb some energy and thus change the coefficient of restitution, airbags to reduce the decellerative forces which apply to your head inside the car, etc), but the physics remains the same - you are safer in a heavier vehicle (you'll take a smaller portion of the change in momentum in the first place), and safer still in a heavy vehicle with large crumple zones which absorbe some of the energy.

Think of it another way - in a head on collision, would you rather be in a 1950's HGV, or in a Euro NCAP 5 star rated 2007 MINI? Common sense (and physics) says sit in the HGV. Safety ratings are good at informing you which cars within the same vehicle class are safest (i.e. best designed), but they don't tell the whole story when it comes to a collision between vehicles in different classes on a real road.

To illustrate the role of vehicle weight in the physics of crashes, consider a head-on collision between two cars. If the two vehicles are of unequal weights, the heavier vehicle will drive the lighter vehicle backward during the crash. Thus, in a head-on collision when both vehicles are traveling at 30 mph and one vehicle weighs twice as much as the other, the passenger compartment of the lighter vehicle will be decelerated from 30 to 0 mph and then accelerated backward to 10 mph. The sudden speed change during the crash will be 40 mph for the lighter vehicle, but the heavier vehicle will experience a speed change of only 20 mph. Because of the greater speed change, the occupants of the lighter vehicle will experience much higher forces than the occupants of the heavier vehicle and, therefore, will be exposed to a higher risk of injury.

So the point of my post is that on a busy motorway, size does matter, and for this reason, I would not hand on heart recommend a MINI for a daily 80 mile motorway treck on the grounds of safety alone. I would instead recommend something heavier and with more metal to absorb some energy in the event of a collision

Quote from Correlation Of NCAP Performance With Fatality Risk In Actual Head-On Collisions

"
If car 1 and car 2 weigh exactly the same, and both drivers are the same age and sex, the likelihood of a driver fatality in a head-on collision would be expected to be equal in car 1 and car 2. If car 1 and car 2 have different weights, etc., it is still possible to calibrate formulas predicting the expected fatality risk for each driver in a head-on collision between the two cars, as a function of each vehicle's weight and each driver's age and sex. The formulas measure the relative vulnerability to fatal injury of the two drivers, given that their cars had a head-on collision. The risk is greater in the lighter car than the heavier car, and a female or older driver is more vulnerable to injury than a male or younger driver. For example, given 100 fatal head-on collisions between 3000-pound-cars driven by belted, 20-year-old males and 2500 pound cars driven by belted, 50-year-old females, these formulas predict 10.8 times as many deaths among the older females in the lighter cars as among the young males in the heavier cars.
"
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:36 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggis View Post

So the point of my post is that on a busy motorway, size does matter, and for this reason, I would not hand on heart recommend a MINI for a daily 80 mile motorway treck on the grounds of safety alone. I would instead recommend something heavier and with more metal to absorb some energy in the event of a collision

If you get hit by an HGV at a high speed (50 - 70mph) it isn't going to matter if you are in a Mini or a BMW - you won't be very well. The max weight of an HGV is 44 tonnes. A mini is around 1100kgs and a big BMW is 2255Kgs. That 1000 kgs isn't going to make much difference.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Life after MINI

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by io1901 View Post
If you get hit by an HGV at a high speed (50 - 70mph) it isn't going to matter if you are in a Mini or a BMW - you won't be very well. The max weight of an HGV is 44 tonnes. A mini is around 1100kgs and a big BMW is 2255Kgs. That 1000 kgs isn't going to make much difference.
Agree with you. I used the extreme example to prove the point that NCAP rating alone doesn't tell the whole story.

As yourself the question - if a big BMW at 2255 Kgs hits a MINI at 1100 Kgs, which would you be more likely to walk away from? I know which I would choose.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2007, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Thank you for your replies and thanks to Mel for the detailed post most helpful. Short of driving a Tank is there anything really safe out there?, we risk all everytime we get behind the wheel. We could get hit by a pedal cyclist or an articulated lorry and I would guess the odds are more likely with the Artic' If we drove by our heads we'd probably end up driving the same safe electric car at 25mph. NO WAY Sunshine, I'll stick to my 5 series re-mapped 3L inline 6 cylinder, its awsome for something of this size and weight and still returns 37~42mpg

Okay so I guess there are no major problems, its average on road noise with normal tyres but worse with RFT's, check on the gearbox and trims.

I didn't check but can you carry a space saver if you dont have RFT's, I am sure the dealer said you could.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in