Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Advice before finalising options?

Hi,

Have just ordered my first Mini - Cooper D obviously - with the following spec:

Lightning Blue
Black roof and mirror caps
Pepper Pack
DAB digital radio (which we all should be ordering now!)
Exterior mirror pack
White indicator lenses
Sports leather steering wheel with multi-function

The car is mainly going to be used for a drive to the station most days (as I've just gone back to commuting into London again) plus drives off to meetings outside London, etc. and other trips where all family isn't travelling.

Having been reading this forum though, I've been amazed as the massive spec people seem to be ordering. Am I missing something I need from the spec above?

I decided to keep the standard wheels as people seem to think they give a better ride, and I'm not that fussed about leather in a car. Was going to order the Blue colour scheme inside but the dealer didn't think it went with Lightning Blue exterior.

Any advice welcomed before I have to finalise my options, which will probably be next day or so as car expected end of month.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:10 PM
R.I.P MINI2

Local Time: 08:53 AM

For what you want the car for that spec looks pretty much spot-on to me

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:35 PM
MINI2 Senior

United Kingdom Male View dlpruk's Oxford Green & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel ALL4 Countryman Profile

There might be a case for the Chilli pack instead of Pepper in terms of resale value but it includes things that are hardly essential on a commute.

But I would go for the wood wheel that includes MFSW controls instead of the sport leather one - simply because I think it looks and feels better.

And folding mirrors are useful in car parks.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:54 PM
R.I.P MINI2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpruk View Post
And folding mirrors are useful in car parks.
Doesn't the Exterior Mirror Pack include those?
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrogg View Post
Doesn't the Exterior Mirror Pack include those?

Yes - it does. My wife insisted I get those!

Thanks for the advice guys.

Does the Chili really improve the resale value that much over the Pepper?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 11:01 PM
R.I.P MINI2

Quote:
Originally Posted by morettat View Post
Does the Chili really improve the resale value that much over the Pepper?
It costs more to buy, but gets more back come resale time, so it's debatable whether it's really worth the extra, especially if most of the extra options aren't that desirable for you.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2008, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrogg View Post
It costs more to buy, but gets more back come resale time, so it's debatable whether it's really worth the extra, especially if most of the extra options aren't that desirable for you.
OK, thanks. You're right - I'm not really bothered about the Chili options.

By the way, I left off 'Auto Air Conditioning' from my list at the top.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 10:17 AM
MINI2 Senior

Male

Think the packs are a good idea but you know the Dealers will turn and say it’s a lower trade-in as its non Chili and I know I’ve left two cars on the lot as even with them being spot on look wise in that its Silver, Black roof and mirrors they have Pepper Packs on them… I really should go find what is in the packs again…………

I was more alarmed at the reading about the lights being so poor on the Mini’s but its £400 for the upgrade.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 12:32 PM
settling in nicely

Northern Ireland Female View thetope's Chili Red & White 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Profile

your spec is very similar to mine - i went for pepper only too but i added a sunroof which i would say is not really an essential but i wanted one just for the "airyness"! i also specced MFSW and decided later to add on the bluetooth as i have an ipod and it makes the connection easier as well as being able to make and receive calls while in the car - i think as the police crack down more on this it will become a quite desirable add on to the car.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 03:14 PM
MINI2 all the time!!

United Kingdom Male View neston4nomads's Lightning Blue & White 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Hi, i think the spec sounds good, although i would DEFINETLY consider changing the standard 15 inch spooler alloys to the 15 inch rotator spoke ones, as they look bigger and alot nicer, yet you still get really good ride and handling, plus its just a few quid upgrade.

I could talk forever about the spec, but i would also say go for the blue colourline as it looks great with the LB exterior and also a nicer dash, maybe fluid silver as an upgrade because again looks alot nicer than standard.

Anyway i will shut up now and let ya decide! .

Mike

Very happy owner of an 07 Cooper in Lightening blue/white, chilli pack, bi-xenons ,vis pack, parking sensors, power folding mirrors, webspokes, and a TARGET roof baby!!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neston4nomads View Post
Hi, i think the spec sounds good, although i would DEFINETLY consider changing the standard 15 inch spooler alloys to the 15 inch rotator spoke ones, as they look bigger and alot nicer, yet you still get really good ride and handling, plus its just a few quid upgrade.

I could talk forever about the spec, but i would also say go for the blue colourline as it looks great with the LB exterior and also a nicer dash, maybe fluid silver as an upgrade because again looks alot nicer than standard.

Anyway i will shut up now and let ya decide! .

Mike
Thanks. I actually emailed the dealer this morning asking about upgrading to the 15" Rotator wheels and also going for Fluid Silver but he said he wouldn't recommend it and it would delay delivery of the car (currently end of month). So I'm wondering if he's being truthful or just can't be bothered!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 04:46 PM
R.I.P MINI2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetope View Post
...as well as being able to make and receive calls while in the car - i think as the police crack down more on this it will become a quite desirable add on to the car.
Until it becomes illegal to talk on a mobile phone in the car even with a handsfree kit (Bluetooth or otherwise) when it just becomes something with no use that you paid extra for!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2008, 05:53 PM
MINI2 all the time!!

United Kingdom Male View neston4nomads's Lightning Blue & White 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by morettat View Post
Thanks. I actually emailed the dealer this morning asking about upgrading to the 15" Rotator wheels and also going for Fluid Silver but he said he wouldn't recommend it and it would delay delivery of the car (currently end of month). So I'm wondering if he's being truthful or just can't be bothered!

To be honest, i would go for the fluid silver dash as it does look alot better and at the end of the day its YOUR car not the dealers.

And another extra i thought of is the chrome line interior, it definetly makes the interior alot nicer and classier.

Very happy owner of an 07 Cooper in Lightening blue/white, chilli pack, bi-xenons ,vis pack, parking sensors, power folding mirrors, webspokes, and a TARGET roof baby!!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2008, 06:41 AM
It's now S power!!

United Kingdom Male View sony's Pepper White & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View sony's Classified Ads

Well my spec is even more basic:

Pepper White
Roof and mirror caps in body colour
Pepper Pack
Sports leather steering wheel with multi-function

To be fair I think it's enough. Bearing in mind the Mini interior is a funky and stylish interior anyway-

I ordered mine last week but haven't heard anything yet on delivery dates. Do dealers keep you up to date with build date etc?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2008, 11:04 AM
MINI memories...

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View Stiggy's Sparkling Silver & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Profile

Bluetooth/USB is a great option - I love it. You also get the MFSW and therefore cruise-control, and an armrest!
I have the 15" Rotator Spoke alloys too. I really didn't want run-flat tyres.
I also recommend the Bi-Xenon headlamps. Expensive, yes, but much better night visability, and almost impossible to retro-fit.

Options like fluid silver trim you can fit later if you really must.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in