about to confirm my order - Page 2 - MINI Cooper Forum
MINI Cooper Diesel MINI Cooper Diesel 2007 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 07:48 AM
It's now S power!!

Local Time: 07:14 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View sony's Pepper White & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View sony's Classified Ads

I swapped my September 2006 A3 for a Mini. I don't regret for a second. The A3 never let me down but drank oil at an alarming rate ( 80% of VAG diesels do this, it's normal) and window rattled. It was a 140 bhp 2.0 TDI and performance wise was identical to the Dooper. Just bag loads of turbo lag. It's not a bad car but it won't hold it's value as well as a MINI, I thought buying an Audi meant rock solid residuals but unless it's a TT or R8 they will depreciate fairly heavily- more than a MINI anyway.
The mini is loads more fun and has bags of character!!

Always ready for a MINI adventure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 08:30 AM
settling in nicely

Northern Ireland Female View thetope's Chili Red & White 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Profile

Your spec sounds expensive but absolutely fantastic!
I bought a new dooper in july and have have 5000 miles on it already. i bought new because I really really wanted the sunroof and MFSW and at the time there were only three doopers on cherished in the whole of the UK in that spec, they were all on the mainland (i'm in NI) and they were only a few hundred pounds cheaper than brand new. I doubt you'd be able to find anything close to your spec second hand to try and save on the depreciation. So, if it's what you want, go for it!

There seems to be quite a lot of discrepancy in what people think about the noise of the engine - perhaps this was a problem in earlier builds which has been remedied by extra soundproofing in later cars, but certainly mine (July 08 build) is very quiet. Only in a cold start for the first minute or two does it properly sound like a diesel. Most people i have taken in the car are shocked it's a diesel and my father who drives a VW Passat TDi commented that his sounds like a tractor by comparison.

I will say, though, that having driven the petrol cooper on the auto start/stop you virtually can't tell when it's started or stopped whereas with the diesel there is a shudder as the engine starts or stops and yes, you can hear it.

I agree with the comments made about the fuel consumption, they are optimistic and i could only ever see anything close to claimed figures being achieved on a long, flat, straight road at steady 60mph, Hills, speeds higher than 65 and (obviously) braking and accelerating cause it to plummet...

But, none the less, i love my dooper, having had an Audi TDi in the past I am happier with the dooper. However i am considering a re-map after my first service... it's not that it's slow, but i just want a *little* more grunt

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:48 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom

Philip, I'd recommend adding Xenon lights, the std headlamps are adbysmal. As they are functional you might get some money back on them come sell/trade-in time in a few years. If it were me and I was working to a budget I'd drop the trim items (anthracite headlining, chrome rings, dark glass) to pay for them.

It's your money, your car and your choice so get what you want and not what someone else wants you to get.

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 12:37 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom View scillyisles's Lightning Blue & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Profile

Interesting cross section of opinion here - we seem to have the usual Mini die hards who would buy a Mini whatever and others who perhaps have detailed ownership experience of lots of other brands who can perhaps cast a more reasoned judgement on the benefits and drawbacks of the Mini Cooper D. Hopefully I fall into the later category.

I bought my Mini Cooper D as a commute car to use daily to commute into London - prior to Boris getting in the Cooper D would have been Congestion charge free from this month but that is all scrapped. As such I spend a reasonable amount of time in the car and therefore specced it very high with more or less every extra other than TV, sunroof, DAB or PDC. Consequently it is an expensive car having a list price of £21K or thereabouts. I don't regret buying one specced this highly as I use all the facilities but I do accept that Minis in general and even more so when specced highly are overpriced. This will be reflected in depreciation over the long term but depreciation on any car these days is going to be significant. Overall my running costs have gone down on most fronts - fuel costs down by 60%, insurance down by 50%, road tax down by 84%. Congestion charge costs are still the same though.
With regard to the specific comments about fuel consumption - yes it can be good but you do need to drive like Sister Teresa to achieve some of the figures being quoted by some people here. If you drive the car normally in mixed traffic then in my experience you don't quite get the economy that the headline figures would suggest. The character/style of the Mini and the fact that it is fun to drive tends to be at odds with the Sister Teresa driving style you need to adopt to achieve good mpg.
Quality wise my car seems well built - the only problem I have had is when the boot catch failed which a Mini dealer fixed immediately when I stopped on my way to work.
Noise wise the car does sound slightly clattery on startup and sounds louder if you rev the car hard but overall I find the car refined and good for long journerys without being tiring. I find that the car seems to run smoother with less noise on Shell V Power diesel or BP Ultimate. It also seems to give better economy and to rev better on these two fuels. The engine does seem to have loosened up appreciably (car now done 3700 miles) and I find it fast enough in most conditions. I have my Ipod on more or less 100% of the time I am in the car so music tends to be the dominant noise source. I have not therefore noticed the louder engine/fan noise when the DPF is regenerating.
Auto/stop start is a bit of a gimmick because you need to anticipate when to use it. If the traffic is stationary and is likely to remain that way then fine but often in urban traffic you don't know when the traffic will start moving again. There is a cost to letting auto start engage as restarting the car does use more fuel than normal idling. So where I know the stop is going to be short, I don't let it engage as I know that it is going to be more fuel efficient to let it idle. Longer term I think auto/start stop is an area that does introduce more component failure opportunities.

Extras I have that I rate highly and use :
- Full USB Ipod interface combined with Sat Nav. This is one of the best Ipod interfaces available in any car you can select by all the same things as on your Ipod (other than search) and it displays the artist and trackname on the sat nav display. I would like to to display album name and even better album artwork but these are minor gripes. The bluetooth is very good and works well with either my Noki N95 (no easy phonebook transfer though) or my new Blackberry Bold. Call quality seems good.
- MFSW - good to be able to adjust tracks/volume and end calls ,the cruise facility is very useful when you are in Sister Tersa driving style for those long runs.
- heated seats - very quick to heat up - position 1 is fine, position 2 is well toasted and position 3 is light up your rear end.
- Hifi - sound system - good for the money.
- Bridge spoke wheels easy to clean, resistant to kerbing and provide a good ride handling compromise.
- Sports seats in leather/cloth - I find them very comfortable and I can achieve a very good driving position in the Mini.
- Sport Button - was not going to get it but it does provide a quicker engine response for when Sister Teresa has left the building.
Sat Nav - good with TMC support that seems accurate. Somewhat weird ergonomics though.
Xenon headlight with Auto on - good and seem to be reasonably accurate in light response.

Areas that could be improved.
Sat Nav - display only available with dark background and coloured roads/icons rather than the more traditional white map with black lettering. As noted above ergonomics are poor.
If you have sat nav then your central speedo ends up being an arrow which moves around the dial and readability is inferior. You can bring the speed up in a digital readout on the central speedo but I tend to either have miles to empty or current mpg on this display.
Seatbelt banging against the door trim.
Ride on runflats is not great particularly over speed bumps or poorly surfaced roads.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Scotland

Thanks everyone. I have learned a lot:

1. This is a great forum. There is real debate - not just blind support of the brand.

2. The MINI can be looked at as a conventional car, but for most of us it is more than a means of getting from A to B. We are therefore not entirely rational about them. It's heart over head. And that's no bad thing.

3. The great thing about them is that this is no one size fits all car; you really can personalise them.

4. A good spec is subjective.

5. My last MINI followed an Audi RS6 and this one follows a BMW 325i Convertible. Both are "better cars" - but I prefer the MINI on many levels - fun, funky,classless.

6. Our kids love them.

So I confirmed the order.

Thanks everyone for your guidance and support.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2008, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Scotland

Just picked up my car today. It has actually been ready for a couple of weks, but I was away on business.

Some observations:

1. Amazed how quickly it came. Two or three weeks from confirmation to arrival.

2. Harry Fairbairn have been great to deal with.

3. Love the colour combo - pw/black with redwood. Very retro.

4. The wheels. I always go for the biggest, baddest wheel tyre combo. This time I didn't as I wanted the car to be a smoother runner and the fun it it being under-tyred. (I previously had a One and then an MCS/JCW and preferred the ride/handling trade off of the One.) Th ride feels good so far - but it does look under-wheeled to my eyes. A more charismatic set of black 16" might do the job. Any suggestions?

5. I love the red leather.

6. The panoramic sunroof is good - makes it feel more spacious.

7. Deffo better built than the mark 1.

8. Call me perverse - but I like the D noise.

9. Stop start is good.

10 Wish I had ordered Xenons....but I had to stop somewhere......

11. Wonderful to be driving a MINI again. My sons 11 and 8 agreed. Our 8 year old said "Dad - is this really our car". They hated the flash of BMW convertible.

All in all - love it. Thanks for all your help.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
You are number 6

Local Time: 03:14 AM
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Australia Male View Mike Clarke's Midnight Black & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Clarke
Congratulations
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2008, 11:46 AM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 08:14 PM

United Kingdom Male View adam_Randell's Pepper White & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Profile View adam_Randell's Classified Ads

Send a message via MSN to adam_Randell
congrats

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 2008, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Scotland

Have now run new Dooper for a week.

Observations

1. In nearly every way, a better car than the mark1 ; much more mature.

2. I even think it looks better.

3. Really glad I orderd the sun roof - great to flick up.

4. Only exceptions:

- not as go-karty.
- the central console doesn't feel as substantial.
- I preferred the dial for the auto AC in the next one.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Scotland

a month in

this is truly a great cat

it has a lot of depth - fun to drive, beautiful, fab fuel consumption - and it feels much more appropriate than something more flashy.

my only issue is that I wisht they had spent more money on the quality of the switchgear.

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Glad you're liking the car - have to agree with you on the switchgear. Hoping to pick up my PW/B clubbie this week. How are you finding the power of the Dooper? Any pics yet?
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Scotland

Hi - it has plent ypower where it is needed. I am a torque junkie. I like lazy power .It follows on from a BMW 325i and MCS JCW. If I said that I preferrred the engine characteristics, you wouldn't believe me - but it's true.

Must get my act together on pics
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 08:49 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Wanted an Audi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View popey's Pepper White & Black 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Profile View popey's Classified Ads

I'd just like to say:
1) Congrats
2) It sounds Great
3) I Would miss Xenons
4)

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Scotland

Popey

You are right. The two boxes that I wished I had ticked are Xenons and part distance control. I think I can rectify the latter.

I wish I hadne't ordered the mfsw. I never used it on my last car; I don't think I will use it on this.

Every other part of my spec, I am v please with.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Wanted an Audi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View popey's Pepper White & Black 2nd Gen MINI John Cooper Works Profile View popey's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip rodney View Post
Popey

You are right. The two boxes that I wished I had ticked are Xenons and part distance control. I think I can rectify the latter.

I wish I hadne't ordered the mfsw. I never used it on my last car; I don't think I will use it on this.

Every other part of my spec, I am v please with.
You can always get some good bulbs fitted.

I had PDC on my Cooper S, it was good but it want even an option on the JCW we have on order. I dont think we will miss it too much.

I love our MFSW, wouldnt spec without it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in