MINI Cooper Diesel MINI Cooper Diesel 2007 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 08:50 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Female View Mejy Poo's Royal Grey & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Countryman Profile

Only 200 cheaper on insurance? I have a D but would still rather have an S!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2010, 08:20 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male View Triffid's Lightning Blue & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Profile

Also I would hazard an educated guess that the Dooper saves money on tyres, exhaust and brakes with them lasting maybe 2-3 times as long?.

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2010, 07:24 PM
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 07:50 PM
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View caveman_dave's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triffid View Post
Also I would hazard an educated guess that the Dooper saves money on tyres, exhaust and brakes with them lasting maybe 2-3 times as long?.
Not necessarly, I went from a R56 D to R56 S and now to a R55 D. Tyre and brake wear is is dependant upon how you drive, for sure the S is faster but the D can be driven spirited also.

A remapped D will give not far off the performance of a S down country lanes, the S will accelerate a little quicker and brake quicker due to slighly bigger brakes (these can be fitted to D), but the suspension and chassis are the same so actually corner speed will be the same.

If I drove less than 8k a year I would have a S, but as I do 20k+ its a D for now.

I dont need to make my car go faster, I just need to learn to drive it faster.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2010, 04:51 PM
MINI2 Regular

England Male View The Tangman's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarclay View Post
At first, I missed the power. Then I got an ECU remap which took the Power from 110 to 140 hp and also boosted the torque to Cooper S beating levels. I think the Cooper D now has sufficient power for my daily driving to make it enjoyable.
pbarclay do you mind letting me know where you had your remap? I am in Cheshire and have thought about this...

I too went from an S to a D. My driving style is very relaxed so don't really miss the S (had an auto) so was always overriding the box with the paddles. I do too many miles for an S and love how much money I save. I find you get good pulling power and the ride is nowhere near as painful! Cornering is still fantastic

The next for me will be Dooper Convertible - finally it is here! I would have gone for that last year when I bought this one if it had been available
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2010, 05:26 PM
It's now S power!!

United Kingdom Male View sony's Pepper White & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile View sony's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman_dave View Post

A remapped D will give not far off the performance of a S down country lanes, the S will accelerate a little quicker and brake quicker due to slighly bigger brakes (these can be fitted to D), but the suspension and chassis are the same so actually corner speed will be the same.
No. Just no.

Always ready for a MINI adventure!
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2010, 09:05 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom View Ady 555's Classified Ads

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tangman View Post
pbarclay do you mind letting me know where you had your remap? I am in Cheshire and have thought about this...

I too went from an S to a D. My driving style is very relaxed so don't really miss the S (had an auto) so was always overriding the box with the paddles. I do too many miles for an S and love how much money I save. I find you get good pulling power and the ride is nowhere near as painful! Cornering is still fantastic

The next for me will be Dooper Convertible - finally it is here! I would have gone for that last year when I bought this one if it had been available
Try here P-torque cooper d group buy! - totalMINI Forums
But be quick there is only a few spaces left.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2010, 08:28 PM
MINI2 Regular

England Male View The Tangman's Classified Ads

Thanks Ady. Bit too soon for me though as I won't get it past the Mrs just yet, just got married and bought a house so every last penny is accounted for at the minute! Thanks for the heads up though!
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2010, 07:51 AM
ianfraserphotography*****

Local Time: 05:50 AM

Australia Male

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2010, 01:41 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male View Triffid's Lightning Blue & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Profile

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman_dave View Post
Not necessarly, I went from a R56 D to R56 S and now to a R55 D. Tyre and brake wear is is dependant upon how you drive, for sure the S is faster but the D can be driven spirited also.
Comparing a 175ps car with a 108ps car and saying that there isn't necessarily a difference in tyre, brake and exhaust wear, is frankly ludicrous. Driving them the same way fast or slow or a mixture of both you would wear an S tyres quicker than a D as it is much quicker.. Likewise to an extent other components. I can also conclude that overall the D's will mainly be driven more conservatively as the main selling point is surely the consumption - this will then surely increase the tyre life as a result of slower driving?

Petrol Mini's are bought to rev and diesels are bought to save money?

Yes I would rather have an S or even a JCW but whats the point if you dont use the power - so you drive them harder anyway? (I can't afford to pay so much fuel duty+vat that the S or JCW would cost me on my 400 miles a week average..
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 2010, 08:49 PM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Send a message via MSN to ScoobyChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triffid View Post
Driving them the same way fast or slow or a mixture of both you would wear an S tyres quicker than a D as it is much quicker..
I think this is an "it depends" scenario. I'm lucky enough to get the opportunity to drive cars that are well out of my price range and while they're capable of obscene speeds, on the public roads I don't really drive them any faster than my Panda 100hp (which gets hooned everywhere). I suspect that the more powerful cars are actually less stressed in this kind of driving than the Panda.

However, I completely agree with you about motivations for buying a diesel car and while I'm looking forward to the prospect of owning an economical car that happens to be fun to drive, I'm really going to miss the rev-happy "hooligan" nature of a petrol engine.

Chris

post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2010, 06:01 AM
MINI2 Senior

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Is the Dooper engine much heavier than an S? Thats the usual reason diesel cars use tyres at a greater rate, that and I guess the increased torque perhaps.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 2010, 07:43 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom Male

Send a message via MSN to ScoobyChris
Quote:
Originally Posted by timp View Post
Is the Dooper engine much heavier than an S? Thats the usual reason diesel cars use tyres at a greater rate, that and I guess the increased torque perhaps.
I'd say it's more likely the increased torque as the tyres will usually have a higher load rating to cater for a heavier car (can't comment on the MINI). Again, I think it comes down to how you drive it and I've never really noticed higher tyre wear on a diesel.

Chris
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2011, 07:52 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Male View pbarclay's Lightning Blue & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Profile

The tyre wear on my MINI Cooper D has been excellent on 16" Goodyear runflats. I get about 18,000 miles from my front tyres, despite driving for pace rather than economy and with an ECU upgrade.

Very pleased to hear that the Cooper S D model has now been officially announced today.

If only they had called it the John Cooper Works Diesel, I would have pursued my claim to have a test model on extended loan: if you Google "John Cooper Works Diesel", the first hit remains
https://www.mini2.com/forum/second-ge...ks-diesel.html

Apparently it is going to be available on all models. There are going to be a lot to choose from by next year, although I am not convinced that any of them fully match the style of the standard hatchback. I think I will squeeze another year out of my current car and enjoy refining the options list, once I know what will be included in the Cooper S D Chilli pack.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2011, 11:24 PM
MCS AB Owner! =D

United Kingdom Male View Tunster's Astro Black & Body Color 2nd Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

I've just done the same thing. But for financial reasons. As much as I'd love a new or keep my old Cooper S; fuel is going up, the Cooper S isn't going to get any more efficient and I have other priorities on my mind. I know I'm going to miss the speed but the MPG is more important than the 0 - 60 time. Being at 24, I seriously need to save up for a flat/house.

I did manage to bag a Cooper D with loads of toys at just over 200/month on a Select deal. Damn low APR and I know I'll save because of the great MPG, no tax, less insurance and saving over a 100/month compared with the Cooper S on outgoings.

Something had to give but at least I didn't have to go as far as giving up a MINI totally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in