LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:35 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Sudden loss of power, then gradual recovery

Hi All, any opinions on the following very welcome thanks!

Coming down the M6 had a sudden loss of power. No torque at all, could hardly get above 60mph. No warning lights. Like the turbo wasn't working. Looking under the bonnet saw the main air inlet hose was disconnected where it drops down behind the engine. I poked it back in, but looks like a clip was missing. Drove slightly better after that, but intermittent. Called MINI emergency service who said take it to the nearest dealer.

Stopped at Haliwell Jones in Warrington who had no time for me at all. They Really didn't give a **** to be honest. Said I'd have to book it in. Managed to persuade the service manager to get someone to have a look. This guy came out, looked at for 10 seconds, said the loose air inlet hose wouldn't give loss of power anyway, and I'd have to book it in. I refused to book it in with them cos I didn't like their attitude. (Normally I go to Lloyd in Carlisle who are great.)

Anyway, carried on and gradually the power returned, so by the time I got to work 15 minutes later it was driving like normal.

So if anyone has any advice please I'd be grateful. Can a loose air intake hose give loss of power? I'd just driven through a load of icy slush at the motorway services, could I have got some slush sucked into the engine? And has anyone else used Haliwell Jones at Warrington and got an opinion on their service deoartment?

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom Male

Might have an answer to that myself. I called Lloyd at Carlisle and they've had 8 calls today about the same loss of power, all on diesels. They think that as it's so cold (-8 ish) that when you add in the wind chill you get at motorway speeds the diesel in the fuel rails is getting waxy. That's why when I came off the motorway it improved. It's more of a problem with supermarket diesel than Shell/BP etc which has more additives.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 2010, 08:45 AM
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom

Good to know Neil that it's maybe better to stick to Premium Diesel rather than Supermarket Diesel during these cold months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in