post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:45 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

2007 (57) 1.6 Cooper D - Cambelt or Chain

Hi all, first post.

I've just bought a 2007 (57) 1.6 Cooper D at 54K miles and although the car dealership have said it has had a recent service I think they have only just replaced the oil and filters.

I have previously had a Audi diesel and had to change the cambelt around every 80K.

Can anyone confirm (as different places have told me different things) whether this 2007 diesel model has a cambelt or timing chain?

If it does has cambelt can anyone tell me at what intervals it should be changed.

FYI - I spoke to my local Mini garage and they didn't seem to know! They just said everything should come up on the car's display. When it does just bring it in. That's fine but I still think its reasonable to know if it has a cambelt and approx when I would need to change it.

Finally, any recommendations, tips etc for the car would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2012, 07:31 PM
MINI2 Senior

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Luxembourg Male

It has a timing BELT with 100% certainty. I speak from experience because mine was changed under warranty at about 55,000km owing to a squeaking noise that turned out to be a water pump issue.

Unlike the petrol engines, the PSA diesel doesn't use a timing chain. Hence, no death rattle in the Doopers.

The timing belt should be changed between 120,000 and 150,000km. Out of warranty cost will be about 800 euros at a dealership; it's tight in there and they have to remove quite a bit to access the belt. For this reason, if and when you do it, have them do the water pump at the same time.

Also, please do not change the oil by following the on board computer schedule. These changes are far too infrequent. I do minimum 2 oil changes per year - once in the spring after the winter season and once in the fall before winter starts. Depending on how much mileage you do, you might want to consider even more frequent changes.

Aside from that, these engines are quite bulletproof. Oil and filter is about all you will need - possibly brakes as well as the heavy diesel engine in the front tends to cause excessive wear to the front pads (takes a bit of friction to stop the weight).

Make sure the car gets a good highway run at least every 3000-5000km so as to engage the diesel particle filter cleaning cycle. You'll know it's running because the car will lose some power and the exhaust will get more "throaty".

Be sure to inspect the hood of the car above the turbocharger for the presence of soot. In some instances, these cars develop pre-cat leaks and soot accumulates on the turbo and directly above the turbo on the underside of the hood. This problem needs prompt attention if it occurs.

Anything else you want to know, just let me know.

Oh yeah, congratulations and welcome!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiniDeLux For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2015, 01:48 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

hi there, noticed your post and I also have the 2007 Dooper but a question about the soot above the charger, I have the same problem with the soot above on the underneath bonnet. could you explain a bit more about it please?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2015, 12:06 PM
MINI2 Senior

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Luxembourg Male

The soot on the underside of the bonnet is due to a loose clamp that connects the turbocharger to the particle filter. The clamp needs to be tightened, but you have to remove the heat shielding to access it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in