LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2015, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:07 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Buying advice: High mileage on young(ish) cooper D

Hi all,

I've been looking at a bunch of cooper D's a reasonable price point for a first car at 23. Cheap in almost every way and heaps of fun I hear so it seems like a no brainer! I've lived in the city until quite recently with no real need for a car until now since I've moved down to Cornwall.
I'll be using it to commute about 100 miles per week roughly. 16 miles to work each day (mostly A roads) + some general exploring and galavanting.
I also intend on using it to visit friends up around Manchester and in Ireland (ferrying from Liverpool) so with hopefully a good few of those squeezed in each year the D seemed perfect.

I don't really want to buy a tie over rust bucket and dump it for something better asap so I've been looking for a mini with a nice amount of trim as I'd like to hold onto the car for a few years and enjoy it. Besides, I've grew up surrounded by my dad's classic Mini's so something about this just feels like it was always meant to be :P

So that's my basic usage scenario

automotionbristol(.)co(.)uk/used-cars/mini-hatch-cooper-1-6-d-cooper-3dr-bristol-201505053184838

I've fallen for this car today as I was idly trawling the ads again. It seems to tick all my boxes and looks to be better kept than a lot I've seen this age. My only concern is the mileage, which I've heard completely mixed things about. So I was hoping someone here could help give me some pointers with this car.
Is it just a no go?
Or is it worth my while?

I spoke to a man at the dealership today. He said it has had 3 owners, previous owner was a lady who traded it in for a 1 series with them. It has a full service history and he agreed that it was in good nick apart from a mark on the bonnet. He couldn't tell me about the cam belt, he thinks it has a chain. Although, as far as I know the peugeot diesel engine in this car still has a belt. But at under 150k, I mightn't have to worrk about that yet.

Anyway cheers for reading if you've borne with me . I'm going up to view the car on Monday and I'll have the chance to ask questions and inspect it closer anyway.

All advice greatly appreciated... ta!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2015, 12:00 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:07 PM
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Hi there,
I have a Cooper D myself, end of 2010, so BMW engine and I cannot be happier. 68k mls and pulls like a train, lots of fun and good mpg return.
I read in this forums about pros and cons of Peugeot engines and BMW engines, you will only get more and more confused!
If it has a full service history, from Dealer, go for it as £4900 for a car like that is a lot of fun, but, from my own experience, if you could afford a bit more and get one with a BMW engine and less miles even better!
It probably sounds silly but 3 owners and 118k mls might be a wrong move as mini's are not cheap to repair. You might find some cars with less mls for around £6000 but...decisions decisions.

In any case good luck with your future Mini!

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2015, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 05:07 PM
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artxaine View Post
Hi there,
I have a Cooper D myself, end of 2010, so BMW engine and I cannot be happier. 68k mls and pulls like a train, lots of fun and good mpg return.
I read in this forums about pros and cons of Peugeot engines and BMW engines, you will only get more and more confused!
If it has a full service history, from Dealer, go for it as £4900 for a car like that is a lot of fun, but, from my own experience, if you could afford a bit more and get one with a BMW engine and less miles even better!
It probably sounds silly but 3 owners and 118k mls might be a wrong move as mini's are not cheap to repair. You might find some cars with less mls for around £6000 but...decisions decisions.

In any case good luck with your future Mini!
Hi mate. Cheers for the advice, appreciated.

Most of my concerns about the car functionally were put to rest when I went for a viewing. The dealer was very honest chap and was straight forward about the margins they work with on the car and offered the deal I was hoping to haggle to in my head if I was going through with it.
£150 off sticker price + free cam belt and water pump replacement.
The car drove very well and their really seemed to be no apparent issues with it that I could see. The ad was accurate to the letter.
Although as you say, there are cars out there with less miles at £6k, £5k was a strict line in the sand for my budget unfortuantely. However, I was very happy with it.

Car seems like heaps of fun, and you're not wrong about the torque! I didn't expect her to be quite that punchy!

In any case, I have a 3 months warranty driving out of the dealership which will give me plenty of time to identify any unseen faults as of this moment.

Cheers again.

I'll update this thread in the future if any problems become apparent for any future punters!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2015, 09:08 PM
MINI2 Senior

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Luxembourg Male

Just so you know, the car has a cam chain and a timing belt. The cam chain ties the two overhead cam shafts together. The timing belt is just that...a timing belt - drives the water pump.

It's the same 1.6 HDi (110hp) diesel engine that you find in Peugeot and Ford Focus cars.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2015, 04:58 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Hello His Dudeness,

Well done! and let us done if anything wrong, hopefully everything will be ok !!

I'm sure it's putting a silly smile any time you drive it around )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in