MINI Cooper Diesel MINI Cooper Diesel 2007 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2015, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 04:56 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United-Kingdom 2012 Cooper D BMW Engine Flat Spot 1500rpm

Hello, my first post so go easy! I've tried the search function and can find lots of mentions of flat spots on the PSA engined models but I'm having issues with the BMW diesel engine.

At around 1500rpm there is a flutter of power, almost as if the turbo can't decide whether to wind up or not so the power comes on and off when the throttle is being held steady. It's noticeable all the time but worse if I'm going up a bit of an incline. The car only has 25000 miles on the clock but is out of warranty by 5 months now. MPG is around 52 which I'm led to believe is about right.

I'm taking it in for a service next month so will ask the dealer to take a look but I'd appreciate any views on here beforehand.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2015, 11:43 PM
I drive an oiler...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Egr?

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 2016, 11:21 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Hi, what was the outcome? I am noticing the same issue when I accelerate, often up inclines and when the engine is cold.

Sent from my HTC_M8x using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 2016, 10:45 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Hi I am having this same issue on my Cooper S (59 plate). I have only just bought it with a 2 month warranty from the (non-mini)dealer so I took it into Mini for a diagnosis and they tell me that the coolant thermostat is reading at 207 degrees C even when the engine is cold, so the car is trying to cool itself down constantly and therefore not accelerating as normal in case of over heating. There is also a leak at the water pump.

It needs a new thermostat and coolant housing and new water pump which Mini quoted as costing £500 for parts and labour. The dealer where I got the car is saying he can do it for £250 and therefore wants me to take it back there to be fixed, the only issue I have is that it is a 200 mile journey so it is going to cost me a lot in fuel and then I am worried that even with these parts fixed the flat spot/acceleration issue may not be resolved. I suppose then it will be up to the dealer to rectify the problem but it could end up costing me a lot in time off work and travel to keep going there.

Has anyone had this issue resolved in this way? I'd like to know if I would be better off just asking for a refund on the car while I still can.

It only has 36,000 miles on it so despite it's age it is in good condition other than this flat spot issue. The mini garage told me that the turbo is working perfectly and there were no other faults found on it when they did the diagnosis. They seem to think that fixing the thermostat/coolant housing and water pump will rectify it but they can't obviously guarantee that.

Any help at all would be muchly appreciated!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2016, 08:30 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Hi I just wanted to update you - I took my mini back to the trader on Saturday to have the coolant housing and thermostat replaced and now it is running like a dream! Who would have thought such a tiny part could have such a huge impact on engine performance?!
Anyway, if you are still having the issue it would be worth taking it to a mini dealer to have a health check done and specifically to check the temperature reading in the coolant housing as mine was reading at 207 degrees centigrade with a cold engine, and now that has been fixed my car is running exactly as it should.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in