Mini Cooper D engine fault - is it fixable? - MINI Cooper Forum

MINI Cooper Diesel MINI Cooper Diesel 2007 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:39 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mini Cooper D engine fault - is it fixable?

I just bought a mini cooper D with 39,000 miles on it as early as 24 hours ago and already it has broken down on me. The car started losing power slowly, engine management light flashed on then the car cut out. I left it for 5 minutes and it restarted, drove a further 20 miles in it until it started losing power again, engine light coming on and then cutting out. It would not start again after that at all. I checked the old paperwork and found the exact same problem occurred around 4,000 miles ago and it was recovered by the RAC. I was recovered by the AA today and had 3 mechanics plug the car into a computer which did not come back with a known problem. I bought the car from a dealership who is refusing to have the car dealt with by their private mechanic but rather through my warranty company who do not cover more than 30 labour, I mean who charges that little labour these days? Mini certainly don't! The car has been left at Mini through AA's recovery choice of garage, and I will probably be 90 out of pocket with no more info on the issue than I already have, as I have agreed for them to have a look at it tomorrow and try and find the problem within the first hour as I've run out of options on what I can do. I am going to try and return the car if no further problem is found... Any ideas? Such a shame, because I was starting to fall in love with the car after seconds of ownership. Hours down the line and my gut instinct is saying to stay away from Mini, as I had always done in the past due to others bad experiences I had heard with them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2016, 06:17 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 02:39 PM
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)

United Kingdom

First of all what year is the MINI and did you buy the car from an actual mini dealership?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2016, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:39 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The mini is a 59 plate and not from an actual mini dealer, just a random used car dealership. After being at Mini they checked it over and found the battery was run near flat and it had 35 different faults stored in the system, which they have cleared and have re charged the battery. After breaking down on Thursday the car actually started the next morning, and after more tests they couldn't find an issue with it and drove it 15 miles and back and it hasnt lost power or cut out since. I am skeptical that the battery is the problem here... And I am prepared for the car to break down on me again if I'm honest. I can't believe Mini can't even find the problem now? I'm baffled I really am. How can a near flat battery cause loss of power and for the car to judder and just cut out after being driven 50 miles? They did say it was obvious the car has been sitting around for a little while and not been used for long periods of time. I think I'm going to have to get ready to chuck the keys back at the dealer I bought it from!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2016, 04:51 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 02:39 PM
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Cars these days need the battery to be in peak condition in order to function as the ecu is a delicate piece of equipment and if the battery isn't in great condition then it can cause all sorts of problems. Some of the 35 faults that BMW cleared could have been years old so I'd maybe treat the car to a new battery and build up some faith in it. If you have a good car then have it serviced regular ie every 6000 miles or 1 year and it will serve you well.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in