LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 08:26 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Garage
New Dooper! Couple of questions

Hi, Got the Mrs a 2010 Dooper,Chilli Pack, PSA Engine, 50k on the clock, nice car, she's very pleased with it.

Took a while to confirm it had the Chilli pack, so many options and they seem to change what is in the Chilli pack every so often too!

Couple of questions-

Am I right in thinking this has a cam belt and a chain linking the two camshafts? Also when is the recommended mileage/years for changing, there is no mention in the book about this.

As I understand it, service intervals are determined by driving conditions/style etc. so just need to follow the display for this, but ensure that the oil is changed yearly?

The air intake pipe to the right of the engine when looking from the front is a little loose at the joint at the rear of the engine, is this normal or anything to worry about?

The circular Velcro pads for the drivers mat really need replacing, I've seen two types on eBay, a T connector and a tree push in type, do they both fit or do I need a direct replacement. tried turning the ones in there to see if it would come out through a slot if it was a T fitting, but it didn't, should I just pull it out with a bit of force?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2017, 09:35 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 09:26 PM
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanc View Post
Hi, Got the Mrs a 2010 Dooper,Chilli Pack, PSA Engine, 50k on the clock, nice car, she's very pleased with it.

Took a while to confirm it had the Chilli pack, so many options and they seem to change what is in the Chilli pack every so often too!

Couple of questions-

Am I right in thinking this has a cam belt and a chain linking the two camshafts? Also when is the recommended mileage/years for changing, there is no mention in the book about this.

As I understand it, service intervals are determined by driving conditions/style etc. so just need to follow the display for this, but ensure that the oil is changed yearly?

The air intake pipe to the right of the engine when looking from the front is a little loose at the joint at the rear of the engine, is this normal or anything to worry about?

The circular Velcro pads for the drivers mat really need replacing, I've seen two types on eBay, a T connector and a tree push in type, do they both fit or do I need a direct replacement. tried turning the ones in there to see if it would come out through a slot if it was a T fitting, but it didn't, should I just pull it out with a bit of force?

TIA
Hi and welcome Dean!

Good choice on your second generation Cooper.

To answer some of your questions
1) The PSA is indeed belt driven. Mini recommend a change at 150,000 miles or 10 years. I'd recommend doing it at 100,000 miles or 10 years.
2) There is 2 camshafts driven by a chain
3) Oil change? I urge all owners to do this no later than every 6000 miles or once a year regardless of mileage, NO LATER, its cheap to do and will keep the engine and its bits in tip top condition.
4) The air intake pipe rattles about like a junkie looking for a hit, I cable tie mine in place and it's normal for the air duct to rattle as its a pish design....
5) The floor mats, mine are needing changed too due to the same issue as you. I had considered hammering a 6" nail through the floor to hold them in place

The PSA engines are bombproof and driven nicely they will easily return 60+ to the gallon. My 2008 diesel Clubman returns a steady 61MPG and that has 139,000 miles under its belt!

Its also a good idea to change your gearbox oil every 40,000 miles (MTF94), some guys in here prefer to use redline transmission oil but me personally, I use MTF94 as I have 3 Binis to maintain. If you stick to a regular service plan i.e the oil then this will be the only maintenance you ever do to these cars. I also run my car on BP Ultimate and whack in whynns injector cleaner every 3 months just for good measure!

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Garage
Thanks, she's getting around 65mpg according to the OBD, it dipped to 64 after she allowed me to drive it On that I noticed the handbook suggests that the average fuel consumption is from when the engine was last started, but the display shows a fuel pump picture, which would suggest it's from when it was last filled up?

Will take it to a dealer when it next needs oil, I assume I can then ask about it's history? It seems it was dealer serviced when new and then a MINI dealer used car after that so all well looked after, original mats were in the boot (other than the drivers). I assume the previous owner didn't want to be hit with any charges upon return of the vehicle!

Should I just give the Velcro disk a hard tug to remove it?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 02:46 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Australia Male

I think the velcro disc's screw in, try turning them anti clock wise.
Thanks for this post from:
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 04:43 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 09:26 PM
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)

United Kingdom

The velcro disks do screw in. I'd do the oil change yourself as it's an easy 20 minute job. Mini will pump your bum hole. I can do my own oil service for under 40 and thats using oem parts/ oil!
Thanks for this post from:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 05:34 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanc View Post
Thanks, she's getting around 65mpg according to the OBD, it dipped to 64 after she allowed me to drive it On that I noticed the handbook suggests that the average fuel consumption is from when the engine was last started, but the display shows a fuel pump picture, which would suggest it's from when it was last filled up?

Will take it to a dealer when it next needs oil, I assume I can then ask about it's history? It seems it was dealer serviced when new and then a MINI dealer used car after that so all well looked after, original mats were in the boot (other than the drivers). I assume the previous owner didn't want to be hit with any charges upon return of the vehicle!

Should I just give the Velcro disk a hard tug to remove it?
have dpf and egr delete and a 150 bhp remap highly recommend it wifes car at 55mph will do over 80 mpg as dont rev to move, around town driving normally 68 mpg it will spin front wheels 1 2 3 gears easy,, the chain that links the two cams i have seen them start failing at 50k i also have seen cars with well over 100k before they start,, when they start to get really bad you will get a oil leak thats the chain worn through the rocker box.. not good.. they start with a rubbing noise and diesel know noises change more and engine will feel harsh normally.
i put a 50k engine in our dooper d and the old one was worn its piece of mind.. also the 150k t belt change is totally not a good idea seen hundreds of these hdi engines with water pump failure as pumps last 70k ish and when fail take out the timing belt,, like i say to all out customers your risk but me 40-50k would chain tbelt and water pump i always use gates stuff good price and better that standard belts, i would have chain done at same time tou will also need injectors seals and cam and crank oil seals as well and new inlet rubbers is a must do at same time,, if injector seals leak they will take out the turbo due to carbon build up,, also the oil feed pipe to turbo have a gauze filter in the bottom banjo remove its a must do job as this kills turbos for a past time,, also at point of service remove sump and clean it out another bad design as sump bung is recessed and collects sludge over time and this kills off turbo.. most of the 1.6 hdi engine i work on have done high miles due to these points,, i see loads of 60-80k ones spares repairs because of above issues not addressed,, dam good car this all said,,

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2017, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Mini will pump your bum hole.
:eeksurpris e:
SeanC likes this.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2017, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Garage
Thanks for all your replies!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2017, 10:00 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)

England Male

Most of the remap companies offer an economy map or a performance map. Most vans in the large fleets that you see around have been economy mapped from new. They say they give 15-20% improved economy plus a small increase in power and torque.
I had my used 2011 Volvo C30, which has the 1.6D PSA engine, performance mapped about 2 years ago. Doesn't produce the power Mike has posted but the torque is lovely. It had fantastic main dealer service when I bought it so I've kept that going despite it being a rip-off. Need to just tell them NOT to plug it in and download any updates as within that process it will spot the map is different and reload the original. Yikes!! They are fine with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in