MINI Cooper Diesel MINI Cooper Diesel 2007 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2018, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:41 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Talking Flat spot after service

My car was running perfectly then when I got it back from the service it seems to have a slight flat spot. First thing in the morning is the worse. When I start my car and stay stationary for a few minutes I get a dip on my RPM needle (every 10-15 seconds). Its a slight stutter in the engine as if its going to cut out but it never does. Then once I start driving I feel it at slower speeds when I'm doing a constant speed like 30MPH. Once I'm on the motorway doing 70MPH it seems fine. Just seen to notice it at slower speeds.

Would this have anything to do with the oil change? Or is it just a coincidence that my car was running smoothly before I had the oil change and now it isn't? No warning lights are showing up on my dash either.

If somebody could help me that would be great. Cars are really my specialty. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2018, 12:40 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by benn306 View Post
My car was running perfectly then when I got it back from the service it seems to have a slight flat spot. First thing in the morning is the worse. When I start my car and stay stationary for a few minutes I get a dip on my RPM needle (every 10-15 seconds). Its a slight stutter in the engine as if its going to cut out but it never does. Then once I start driving I feel it at slower speeds when I'm doing a constant speed like 30MPH. Once I'm on the motorway doing 70MPH it seems fine. Just seen to notice it at slower speeds.

Would this have anything to do with the oil change? Or is it just a coincidence that my car was running smoothly before I had the oil change and now it isn't? No warning lights are showing up on my dash either.

If somebody could help me that would be great. Cars are really my specialty. Thanks
possible cheap oil filter restricting flow to the vanos or and wrong thickness oil ie 5/40 used when they like a 5/30 better as effects how the oil flows through the gauze filters on oil solenoids for vanos, vanos is oil fed and advances and retards the timing, so yep could effect it, ask them what oil was used and what filter

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
possible cheap oil filter restricting flow to the vanos or and wrong thickness oil ie 5/40 used when they like a 5/30 better as effects how the oil flows through the gauze filters on oil solenoids for vanos, vanos is oil fed and advances and retards the timing, so yep could effect it, ask them what oil was used and what filter
Hi Mike

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I spoke to the garage and they have said they have put in 0/30 fully synthetic. Do you think its best I drain my oil and put in a better one?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2018, 03:00 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Hi Mike

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I spoke to the garage and they have said they have put in 0/30 fully synthetic. Do you think its best I drain my oil and put in a better one?
With 5W-30, you either buy conventional, blend, or full synthetic. Full synthetic will have the fewest VI additives. Conventional the most. Reason is, full synthetic molecules maintain their viscosity better. You can either add a better additive pack to conventional oil, or blend in some synthetic, to get the desired multigrade properties.

0W-30 is almost ONLY available in full synthetic. It’s very difficult (and expensive) to design additives that can beef up a very thin oil (at room temperature) to stay thick enough at operating temperature.

So, which to choose?

If it were my car, built in the last 10 years, the place to start is the oil cap. What does it say? For an American or Asian (Japanese or Korean) car, it’s likely to say 5W-20, 5W-30, or for very new cars, 0W-20.

Next place to visit is your owner’s manual. It’s in your car, and also most likely on-line, just search “year”, “make”, “model” and check the specs. My car, for example,
above is a piece from oil descriptions notice the 0/30 fully synthetic comment, ie at start up that oil is thinner than a 5/30 oil which is what the recommend. thinner oil can cause some by product issues with changing pressure and flow maybe and if a worn engine this would amplify any effects,, by worn engine 40k plus miles could be that. i hive had a lot of discussions on here in the past about oils and using thicker or thinner or fully syn or part syn oils, and i stand by what ever the makers and designers of a engine say you should use is what should be used,, i've seen the aftermath of vw PD engines after people used a non PD oil in them and camshaft fail after 60k, i would contact mini main dealer ask them if in any country would 0/30 oil be used,, maybe in a -10 to -50 it would be, i've always used 5/30 fully synthetic in prince engines,, even the diesels are 5/30 but low saps as have a dpf filter use nything else and it ends badly on them turbo failures

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2018, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
With 5W-30, you either buy conventional, blend, or full synthetic. Full synthetic will have the fewest VI additives. Conventional the most. Reason is, full synthetic molecules maintain their viscosity better. You can either add a better additive pack to conventional oil, or blend in some synthetic, to get the desired multigrade properties.

0W-30 is almost ONLY available in full synthetic. It’s very difficult (and expensive) to design additives that can beef up a very thin oil (at room temperature) to stay thick enough at operating temperature.

So, which to choose?

If it were my car, built in the last 10 years, the place to start is the oil cap. What does it say? For an American or Asian (Japanese or Korean) car, it’s likely to say 5W-20, 5W-30, or for very new cars, 0W-20.

Next place to visit is your owner’s manual. It’s in your car, and also most likely on-line, just search “year”, “make”, “model” and check the specs. My car, for example,
above is a piece from oil descriptions notice the 0/30 fully synthetic comment, ie at start up that oil is thinner than a 5/30 oil which is what the recommend. thinner oil can cause some by product issues with changing pressure and flow maybe and if a worn engine this would amplify any effects,, by worn engine 40k plus miles could be that. i hive had a lot of discussions on here in the past about oils and using thicker or thinner or fully syn or part syn oils, and i stand by what ever the makers and designers of a engine say you should use is what should be used,, i've seen the aftermath of vw PD engines after people used a non PD oil in them and camshaft fail after 60k, i would contact mini main dealer ask them if in any country would 0/30 oil be used,, maybe in a -10 to -50 it would be, i've always used 5/30 fully synthetic in prince engines,, even the diesels are 5/30 but low saps as have a dpf filter use nything else and it ends badly on them turbo failures

Hi Mike thanks so much again for your information. I have checked my book and it says the diesel car should have Longlife-04 so I have sent a complaint to the garage to ask if they can look at the oil. I'm just waiting to hear back.

Many Thanks for your help mate

Cheers Ben
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 2018, 07:28 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Hi Mike thanks so much again for your information. I have checked my book and it says the diesel car should have Longlife-04 so I have sent a complaint to the garage to ask if they can look at the oil. I'm just waiting to hear back.

Many Thanks for your help mate

Cheers Ben
must be low ash saps. i also on diesels engines use a engine flush every other service to help remove the carbon,, i use stuff called seafoam stick can in oil 50 miles before service it will clean it all out, its the dpf filter and carbon that causes it. also if dpf filter is nearly blocked it will try to regen all the time if this happens can find diesel gets pushed past the piston rings,, it pays to just before service take it for 20 miles 3-4k revs drive to get it all clear and hot the dumps the oil as such, and half the service times 10k

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
automatic , flat spot , oil change , service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in