MINI Cooper Forum banner

R55 58 Plate Turbo

979 views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  mike1967 
#1 ·
Hi
I had the turbo on my car replaced about 4k/ 2 years ago, the new turbo appears to be leaking exhaust gasses from where the actuator pivots through the housing, hope that makes sense. My question is, is there a part I can replace without changing the whole turbo?
If it means a new turbo would you guys fit another new one or as I have the old (noisey) one, have that rebuilt?
Any thoughts appreciated.

Stu

#2 ·
i would question the dpf filter not getting regen and partly blocked maybe causing back pressure forcing exhaust gasses out where ever it can, worth doing a force regen on it

#3 ·
Hi Mike
Still need to sort out autocom.
Had the car scanned and it came back no faults about every 1kmiles the cars fan comes on and the exhaust note changes which I believe is a regen but may be wrong about that. Will call a mate and see if he can force regen.
Stu

#4 ·
i found after a windows 10 update that the autocom files kept getting removed off it, found by using a windows 7 with no internet and no anti virus its works perfect all the time, rather than every so often i need to uninstall and reinstall a fresh copy of software for it, going from what you said about regening it sounds about right, autocom will show last regen in distance,
as for turbo cheapest option is replace the cartridge link below.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Turbo-Ca...m=161958288742&_trksid=p2045573.c101006.m3226

#5 ·
My mate is going to do a regen at the weekend.
When the turbo was replaced I asked if just the cartridge could be changed but everyone I asked said no. I may take the old turbo apart and see how difficult it would be or is there more to it than a couple of circlips?
Thanks

#6 ·
set the vac up on actuator ie should rest on the bump stop at 15psi, best option is refurbished completely set up one £200 ish on ebay just pick a uk seller who gives a test out put cert

#7 ·
Took my old turbo apart and the mystery of a turbo isn't that mysterious after all. The only problem I can see in only changing the cartridge is lining up the air side with the pipework, I guess you leave the bolts loose until in position unless you have a jig to build it in.
It's interesting to see how the nozzles move but it ain't rocket science but I guess a lot of maths when designing. It looks like the old turbo leaked from the same point so will not worry unless it gets really bad, but interesting to see how these things work.
Stu

#8 ·
tipex the old casings where the 10mm bolts line up wont be far off on some have indents

#10 ·
#12 ·
its also handy to check the turbo vnt for movement travel and when hits bump stop psi as when the turbos on diesels mainly get a lot of carbon build up from lack of dpf regens and low rev or if any fault codes stored in ecu it will clogg vnt nozzles and can esy check it by running vac pump and see where it sits whit 15psi ie should go all way to bump stop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.