2010 Cooper D - what mileage should belt be changed? - MINI Cooper Forum

MINI Cooper Diesel MINI Cooper Diesel 2007 - Present

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By harbour lad
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Local Time: 11:41 AM
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

 
2010 Cooper D - what mileage should belt be changed?

Hi all - first post,

I recently purchased a March 2010 (10 plate) Cooper D for my wife. It's been serviced well over the last 8 years, the first 5 or so by main dealer, the rest a local garage.

I took it into a Mini main dealer near my home recently for a health check (which cost 26 and included a full valet - rude not to?).

The only issues they detected where a slightly 'binding' rear wheel, no tyre sealant in the boot (quoted 27.00 - sorted on Amazon for 7.00), blocked washer jets (quoted 69.00 to investigate the cause!!), an intermittent rear brakelight (69.00 to investigate the cause!!), low tread on a rear tyre (129.00 to fit a new one - or 70 at local kwik fit!!), everything else was fine.

It's on 70,000 miles now and although I understand that the recommended belt change is 150k miles or 10 years - I am thinking of having it done early at 70k miles and 8 years old. What are people's thoughts on this - anyone wished they'd replaced their belt earlier? and what is the going rate at an independent garage for a belt and water pump change? I may also give it an oil change at the same time since this was last done in 2017!

Also - anyone had the blocked washer jets issue - rough cost to fix?

Many Thanks in advance.

PabloJuan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2019, 10:14 PM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Eastbourne, UK
Local Time: 11:41 AM
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
Hi and welcome to the forums. Blocked washer jets are normally sorted easily and cheaply with a small pin in my experience. I don't know about the belt (which engine does it have, the PSA one or the later BMW one?) but if the oil has not been changed since 2017 then it's definitely overdue..


Last edited by harbour lad; Jan 8th, 2019 at 10:29 AM.
harbour lad is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2019, 07:28 AM
MINI2 Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: down west somewhere
Local Time: 11:41 AM
Posts: 4,141
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloJuan View Post
Hi all - first post,

I recently purchased a March 2010 (10 plate) Cooper D for my wife. It's been serviced well over the last 8 years, the first 5 or so by main dealer, the rest a local garage.

I took it into a Mini main dealer near my home recently for a health check (which cost 26 and included a full valet - rude not to?).

The only issues they detected where a slightly 'binding' rear wheel, no tyre sealant in the boot (quoted 27.00 - sorted on Amazon for 7.00), blocked washer jets (quoted 69.00 to investigate the cause!!), an intermittent rear brakelight (69.00 to investigate the cause!!), low tread on a rear tyre (129.00 to fit a new one - or 70 at local kwik fit!!), everything else was fine.

It's on 70,000 miles now and although I understand that the recommended belt change is 150k miles or 10 years - I am thinking of having it done early at 70k miles and 8 years old. What are people's thoughts on this - anyone wished they'd replaced their belt earlier? and what is the going rate at an independent garage for a belt and water pump change? I may also give it an oil change at the same time since this was last done in 2017!

Also - anyone had the blocked washer jets issue - rough cost to fix?

Many Thanks in advance.
its 2010 pre march will be the psa engine and that has a timing belt, 5 years or 70.000 miles is what i would use as a target and also change the water pump at same time is a must do job, added thing worth doing a dpf filter change around 75k and additive tank refill
if post march 2010 it will be bme n47 engine it has got a timing chain,,
mike1967 is online now  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Local Time: 11:41 AM
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

 
Thanks - I think mine is the Peugeot engine? How do I tell from just looking? I've been quoted 920 by one independent specialist garage for the Belt, pump, tensioner and idler pulley? Anyone know of any other good garages in the west Midlands area they'd recommend for additional quotes?
PabloJuan is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2019, 12:57 PM
MINI2 Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: down west somewhere
Local Time: 11:41 AM
Posts: 4,141
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloJuan View Post
Thanks - I think mine is the Peugeot engine? How do I tell from just looking? I've been quoted 920 by one independent specialist garage for the Belt, pump, tensioner and idler pulley? Anyone know of any other good garages in the west Midlands area they'd recommend for additional quotes?
the turbo is right on the front of engine on the psa engines, better of buying a gates timing belt with water pump kit of ebay , link below and get a mobile mechanic to fit it or a labour only fit, 4-5 hours job, the cam locks on a pin so does the crankshaft one pin kits i 10,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1X-GATES-...BZl:rk:17:pf:0
mike1967 is online now  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Local Time: 11:41 AM
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

 
Thanks Mike. Mine's the PSA engine then I think.
PabloJuan is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2019, 03:16 PM
MINI2 Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: down west somewhere
Local Time: 11:41 AM
Posts: 4,141
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloJuan View Post
Thanks Mike. Mine's the PSA engine then I think.
the better engine is my view the psa engine for the wallet, the later bmw n47 engine has a timing chain mounted on rear of it engine out every 80-100k for timing chain from a lot of ast experience with them on bmw and mini cars,
yours you can buy dpf filter elements for 120 a pop, compared to the 300-600 for the later engines

8k oil and filter changes a good thing and use seafoam engne flush as well a good idea, turbo tends to last 80-100k,, i've owned 5 over the years and always change dpf and turbo together refurb turbo 170 future proofs them,, as when turbo does let go the engine damage can by massive, and its not really a if its a when
mike1967 is online now  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Local Time: 11:41 AM
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

 
Interestingly, I called my local Mini Dealership to find out what they charge for a belt change and the person I spoke with stated that my car will 'definitely be fitted with a chain, not a belt - and that they don't recommend that it is changed without good reason - such as engine noise / rattle'.

When I said I was thinking it may be worthwhile preventative maintenance on my 2010 70k mile car - they said 'no - too young a car, don't even look into it any further'!! And that if there was any undue noises - they'd change the tensioner first anyway!!

Were the late spec (2010) peugeot engines fitted with a chain before the engine changed to a BMW unit then?
PabloJuan is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Local Time: 11:41 AM
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

 
Thanks Mike - thats good info re refurbing the turbo.
PabloJuan is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2019, 06:58 PM
MINI2 Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: down west somewhere
Local Time: 11:41 AM
Posts: 4,141
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloJuan View Post
Interestingly, I called my local Mini Dealership to find out what they charge for a belt change and the person I spoke with stated that my car will 'definitely be fitted with a chain, not a belt - and that they don't recommend that it is changed without good reason - such as engine noise / rattle'.

When I said I was thinking it may be worthwhile preventative maintenance on my 2010 70k mile car - they said 'no - too young a car, don't even look into it any further'!! And that if there was any undue noises - they'd change the tensioner first anyway!!

Were the late spec (2010) peugeot engines fitted with a chain before the engine changed to a BMW unit then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQpQIi7gI_U
above link sums it also bbc watch dog done a bmw shaming of the endless problems with them in their view not just mine,, just sums bmw up head up their backside and pretend there is problems with it, where the internet is full of their n47 diesels and prince engine petrols with chain issues,, i've worked in trade as mechanic for over 35 years up until around 2007 i bought bmw diesel after bmw diesel were epic,, then this stupid idea of mounting the timing chain and a thin chain as well on the rear of the engine so when they wear out its a engine out job made me stop buying them again,, also because its mounted behind the daul mass flywheel that also fail for a past time and when do start to they also rattle many owners get caught out,, ie garage says not to worry sir is the flywheel got loads of miles yet before it needs changing,, to find a little way down the road the chain jumps teeth knocks holes in pistons and smashes the valves in to the head and backs that scrap as well,, yep new engine only way forward, the later engines with timing chains,, the psa engine as a small link chain between the two cam shafts but have a timing belt this would be pre 2010 march anything after should be the n47 bmw own engine ,,
i believe a memo was added to bmw that timing chains should be treated as serviceable wearing part with around 100,000 miles, i know vag group do on all theirs now,,, just stupid on all levels designers using a thin chain thats fairly long that has a lot of loads on it over the miles,, when in old days a duplex chain was used on the 325tds and would last 500.000 miles i know i had one work hack

mike1967 is online now  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2019, 08:42 PM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Eastbourne, UK
Local Time: 11:41 AM
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
If you're not sure which engine it has then check the registration document or an online vehicle checker/app such as VehicleSmart, if the engine size is stated as 1560cc it's the PSA engine with a belt, if it says it's it's 1598cc then it is the BMW engine with a chain. The changeover date was March 2010 but the car could have been built before, mine is registered in March 2010 but was built at the end of January so is one of the very last with the PSA motor.
harbour lad is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Local Time: 11:41 AM
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

 
Thanks Harbour Lad - Vehicle Smart states registered 4 Mar 2010 and the cylinder capacity is 1560 - so I guess it's a PSA engine then. I told BMW Mini that I was sure it was a PSA engine and that it would need the belt changing - but the woman I spoke with insisted that my car was chain driven and not to worry about it!! Confused now if BMW Mini are telling me my 2010 PSA engined Cooper D is chain driven?????
PabloJuan is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2019, 06:58 PM
MINI2 Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Eastbourne, UK
Local Time: 11:41 AM
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

United Kingdom
 
I think the lady you spoke to may 'benefit from some extra training' as yours definitely has a belt, just like mine and any other PSA diesel engined MINI. As Mike says above, the PSA engine is a lot cheaper to maintain or repair. The basic engine is used in other cars such as the diesel Fiesta and Peugeot 207 so the parts are quite reasonable and lots of people know how to fix them.
mike1967 likes this.
harbour lad is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 2019, 07:03 AM
MINI2 Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: down west somewhere
Local Time: 11:41 AM
Posts: 4,141
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloJuan View Post
Thanks Harbour Lad - Vehicle Smart states registered 4 Mar 2010 and the cylinder capacity is 1560 - so I guess it's a PSA engine then. I told BMW Mini that I was sure it was a PSA engine and that it would need the belt changing - but the woman I spoke with insisted that my car was chain driven and not to worry about it!! Confused now if BMW Mini are telling me my 2010 PSA engined Cooper D is chain driven?????
it does indeed have a small chain that links the two cam shafts together.. trouble you have is when asking someone who works behind a desk about parts most tend to have no mechanical level of understanding and just quote whats seen on the pc in front of them and pictures of parts, the psa engine deffo has a small chain, the n47 engine has two timing chain and is mounted on the rear of the engine,, take a picture of under bonnet if still in doubt and again can tell you what you have.. the n47 was not released until 20th of march 2010
mike1967 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply
Tags: , , ,


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 MINI Cooper Hardtop Low Mileage 6-Speed Manual tfisher MINI2 Classifieds 0 Sep 17th, 2017 10:54 PM
2007 57 Mini Cooper Timing chain/Belt Mileage yeratit Maintenance & MINI Care 1 Feb 18th, 2015 08:52 PM
does the ecu record mileage when tacho mileage reset? wurdup General Discussion 2 Apr 26th, 2013 10:12 PM
Cooper S, cam belt / timing belt ? ben_uk First Generation MINI Cooper S 6 Nov 20th, 2011 04:32 PM
R56 facelift in 2010 - what changed? Nick_from_Suffolk General Discussion 5 May 19th, 2011 09:30 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome