Mini Cooper SD - Knocking Sound from Engine. - MINI Cooper Forum

MINI Cooper Diesel MINI Cooper Diesel 2007 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 02:12 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United-Kingdom Mini Cooper SD - Knocking Sound from Engine.

I have a 2011 Mini Cooper SD. Since the temperature outside has dropped and we are having cold mornings, I have noticed a knocking noise recently when I first start the car. I can hear the noise when the clutch pedal is on the floor, and the noise disappears when I take my foot off the clutch. When the engine is warmed up the knocking noise seems to go completely. I would be interested to know if anyone else with a Cooper SD has experienced the same thing please ? Not sure if it indicates a problem or this noise is normal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated please. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2019, 12:33 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 02:12 PM
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzle1965 View Post
I have a 2011 Mini Cooper SD. Since the temperature outside has dropped and we are having cold mornings, I have noticed a knocking noise recently when I first start the car. I can hear the noise when the clutch pedal is on the floor, and the noise disappears when I take my foot off the clutch. When the engine is warmed up the knocking noise seems to go completely. I would be interested to know if anyone else with a Cooper SD has experienced the same thing please ? Not sure if it indicates a problem or this noise is normal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated please. Many thanks.
mixture of cold air temp cold fuel temp and when a diesel first starts as its a compression ignition engine the ecu starts at retarded timing with extra fuel at start up and the cold air is more dense the ignition sound sharper

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in