Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:53 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Fume Smell in Cabin and Glow Plug Supply From Relay 4159

Hello.

I have a problem with my mini which is currently preventing me from driving it.

There is a terrible smell of what I believe to be exhaust fumes in the cabin. Itís so bad within 30 seconds of driving the car that your eyes burn and you feel faint - hence not driving it! The smell is also very apparent outside of the car.

I took it to an independent to diagnose, but they didnít have much luck.

One thing they found for sure was code 4159 - glow plug supply from relay. This would suggest perhaps that the glow plug relay is out? Iíve seen this quite cheap on eBay, so if someone could point me in the right direction, this one should be an easy fix.

Now onto the smell issue. The DPF is definitely not blocked. Real-time data shows that there is only 5.9 grams of particulate mass in the particulate filter, and there is no fault code for the DPF, or engine warning light.

The garage seem to think that a leaking turbo is the cause of the smell. They believe it to be soot, not oil, however there is nothing visually which would suggest this. Theyíre not confident enough in their diagnosis to carry out the work either, so was looking for some opinion on what anyone this the cause could be.

Definitely not a cracked or leaking exhaust, has been checked by these guys and an exhaust centre.

Thanks in advance! Images attached of the turbo surround.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5BC72CA2-53DF-4F30-873D-146EA7DA1D6C.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	228451   Click image for larger version

Name:	514A95B2-EDE8-4A63-8D88-EEA42798BFAA.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	228453   Click image for larger version

Name:	7F546C6D-CABF-4E3B-9257-C3989F95DBD9.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	228455  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 07:33 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Mine had a leak at the EGR valve to cooler joint, it is close to the cabin filter, try setting the blower so it doesn't take in fresh air.
My turbo also leaks exhaust through the actuator spindle but if I get time I'm fitting a new one next week.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu E View Post
Mine had a leak at the EGR valve to cooler joint, it is close to the cabin filter, try setting the blower so it doesn't take in fresh air.
My turbo also leaks exhaust through the actuator spindle but if I get time I'm fitting a new one next week.
How did you diagnose this? Even without blowers on the smell in mine hits you within a few minutes!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 30th, 2019, 09:20 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

You could see soot on the EGR valve clamp, it is very close to the cabin filter, could only smell it when stationary and stopping air entering the cabin stopped the smell.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2019, 11:51 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will-m235i View Post
Hello.

I have a problem with my mini which is currently preventing me from driving it.

There is a terrible smell of what I believe to be exhaust fumes in the cabin. Itís so bad within 30 seconds of driving the car that your eyes burn and you feel faint - hence not driving it! The smell is also very apparent outside of the car.

I took it to an independent to diagnose, but they didnít have much luck.

One thing they found for sure was code 4159 - glow plug supply from relay. This would suggest perhaps that the glow plug relay is out? Iíve seen this quite cheap on eBay, so if someone could point me in the right direction, this one should be an easy fix.

Now onto the smell issue. The DPF is definitely not blocked. Real-time data shows that there is only 5.9 grams of particulate mass in the particulate filter, and there is no fault code for the DPF, or engine warning light.

The garage seem to think that a leaking turbo is the cause of the smell. They believe it to be soot, not oil, however there is nothing visually which would suggest this. Theyíre not confident enough in their diagnosis to carry out the work either, so was looking for some opinion on what anyone this the cause could be.

Definitely not a cracked or leaking exhaust, has been checked by these guys and an exhaust centre.

Thanks in advance! Images attached of the turbo surround.
how the system works is like this if there are any fault codes stored in the ecu the ecu switches off dpf regens to protect the engine, so glowplug relay fault code dont always mean its a relay fault glow plug failure will also cause same code, the glowplugs are the tiny thin type and are by fair the worst to have as will snap off when being removed,, to removed them the safest way os run engine until very hot then gently try and remove them,, if you try it with a cold engine i have found they snap off most of the time, the glow plug relay is same as used on ford focus 1.6hdi. peugeot and citroen 1.6hdi,
below link relay new 8 pin type
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-P....c100008.m2219
glow plugs bosch cheap ones dont last
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-1...gAAOSwx9lcPGnv

as for dpf filter, ford and volvo use same engines they included the dpf filter on these engines as a 75000 miles service item, good luck ignoring that as when those turbo's let go and believe me they do the engine will go in to diesel runaway and that will be the end of it,, good news is you can buy the dpf filter element thats replaceable lin below
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diesel-Pa...cAAOSwrlRZzqcC
ypu will also need diagnostics to reset the filter tell ecu its been done, autocom cdp plus is cheapest around and best gear for money
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-Blue...oAAOSwq55c0VnY

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in