MINI Cooper S Diesel MINI Cooper S Diesel 2011 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2018, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:48 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Possible Turbo/DPF fault

I've just tried putting a Tdi-Tuning tuning box on my r55 Clubman Cooper SD. The box threw up a load of engine management faults to the point where I had to remove the box a few miles from home. The car been had fitted with a similar box by the previous owner who had mangled the boost sensor connector and when reconnected the connector has come loose again. The car was probably driven for 5-6 miles with the sensor loose of disconnected.

Today when scanning the car with a carista OBD tool Its picked up the following 5 faults:

449B Boost Pressure Controller- Status
4A44 Glow Plug Cylinder 3 Control
4A34 Glow Plug Cylinder 4 Control
481C Manufacturer-specific code
452A DPF System

The 481C fault appears to also be a DPF related fault.

When i had to remove the box in a hurry the car seemed to be attempting a regen. Could it be as simple as the car needing to complete a dpf regen? There are no real performance issues other than a slight extra bit of turbo lag? could the running with boost sensor disconnected have caused a fault on the boost pressure controller?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2018, 09:07 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard301 View Post
I've just tried putting a Tdi-Tuning tuning box on my r55 Clubman Cooper SD. The box threw up a load of engine management faults to the point where I had to remove the box a few miles from home. The car been had fitted with a similar box by the previous owner who had mangled the boost sensor connector and when reconnected the connector has come loose again. The car was probably driven for 5-6 miles with the sensor loose of disconnected.

Today when scanning the car with a carista OBD tool Its picked up the following 5 faults:

449B Boost Pressure Controller- Status
4A44 Glow Plug Cylinder 3 Control
4A34 Glow Plug Cylinder 4 Control
481C Manufacturer-specific code
452A DPF System

The 481C fault appears to also be a DPF related fault.

When i had to remove the box in a hurry the car seemed to be attempting a regen. Could it be as simple as the car needing to complete a dpf regen? There are no real performance issues other than a slight extra bit of turbo lag? could the running with boost sensor disconnected have caused a fault on the boost pressure controller?
need to sort the glow plug fault codes as if any fault codes stored in the ecu the car will not regen the particulate filter and block it up, also throw that smoke box in the bin they produce more soot than go and this also ruins the dpf and vnt on the turbo

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Thanks for this post from:
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2018, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

The tuning box is going straight back now anyway. Any ideas on if the boost fault is related to the dpf? I’ll have to get the glow plugs swapped out this week and take i5 from there

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2018, 08:46 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
The tuning box is going straight back now anyway. Any ideas on if the boost fault is related to the dpf? Iíll have to get the glow plugs swapped out this week and take i5 from there
must look at the inlet and turbo and combustion chambers and dpf and exhaust as a system that needs each other to get a long one fails the other suffer, so a blocked dpf filter will depending on how blocked it is causes a number of fault codes depending on what stage its at,
looking between the lines with yours its had 2 glow plugs not working prob for a while and because of this the car would be prevented from doing its own regen of dpf filter so by adding a smoke/soot box its pushed it over the edge and now the pressure on the dpf in front of it and behind it do not match up hence dpf fault code, so while the system is blocked it will effect turbo pressure and map sensor will pick it up.
so you will need to find the glow plug problems chance are its the glow plugs them selves
(good tip get engine hot before even trying to remove them as if try when cold the tend to snap off and believe me thats a very big place of pain)
once these glow plugs are done then you have a chance of forcing a regen on the dpf filter,, but this said if done over 75k its due a new dpf filter anyway. some people send dpf filters to a company on ebay who clean them correctly cheaper than a new one in some cases,, as if dont clear this filter correctly the faults will keep coming, the turbo will over heat and the extra diesel and soot in the engine oil will kill off the timing chain, £2000 job if dont snap it £4000plus if does, on the bmw own n47 drived engines used after march 2010
a good diagnostics that will regen and work dealer level with dpf is autocom cdp plus link below
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth...q1O:rk:11:pf:0

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Thanks for this post from:
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2018, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Thanks for your help but I managed to fix it this morning. The car is a '61 on 116,000 miles (about 80% confirmed motorway miles) so I took iot to my local Indy as a precaution for a timing chain replacement. It turns out that the boost pressure controller connector hadnt gone back on properly and had dislodged friday night when i first experienced the errors. As I had been working on the car in the dark Friday night and last night trying to sort it, it wasnt until this morning after going over the engine bay that i noticed a two tone effect on the block connector and realised the fault. After reconnecting it the Boost fault code and the unnamed one cleared. A spirited drive around Kents motorway network was sufficient to initiate a regen and the DPF fault is now gone.

All thats left is to sort the glow plugs but as I'm now looking at taking the csar to AmDTuning in Thurrock for a remap I might see if they can do the plugs at the same time
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2018, 11:56 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Thanks for your help but I managed to fix it this morning. The car is a '61 on 116,000 miles (about 80% confirmed motorway miles) so I took iot to my local Indy as a precaution for a timing chain replacement. It turns out that the boost pressure controller connector hadnt gone back on properly and had dislodged friday night when i first experienced the errors. As I had been working on the car in the dark Friday night and last night trying to sort it, it wasnt until this morning after going over the engine bay that i noticed a two tone effect on the block connector and realised the fault. After reconnecting it the Boost fault code and the unnamed one cleared. A spirited drive around Kents motorway network was sufficient to initiate a regen and the DPF fault is now gone.

All thats left is to sort the glow plugs but as I'm now looking at taking the csar to AmDTuning in Thurrock for a remap I might see if they can do the plugs at the same time
have you ever driven one of those n47 diesels with dpf and egr delete and remapped for power go sooooo well. hopefully time will tell whether the dpf filter is past is use by date when it gets mapped as they will look at the percentages of soot content before mapping it, as no point adding fuel and boost if the exhaust wont take it away from a lot of past experiences with mapping and deleting stuff over the years, and a few blow ups a long the way as the whole sysytems needs to breath, a dpf filter is not of life of car and the bi product of what damage it will causes when even 50% full is shocking, as the cars ecu will keep trying to regen it this adds a lot more fuel but because the engine cant breath right for partially blocked dpf filter you end up with unburnt diesel oil blowing past the piston rings and entering the oil thinning it down and removes a lot of the lubricant properties and do over time take out the turbo bearings and crankshaft or whole engine at worst.. vauxhall fiat alfa bmw mini landrover all the makers of dpf diesel cars all have same issues with this,, andof course adding more fuel to this adds more fuel to be washed away in to the sump, might want to watch this link its funny but very true
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bOlDFFhuPM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in