MINI Cooper S Diesel MINI Cooper S Diesel 2011 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:56 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Unhappy Dual Mass Flywheel or Clutch Failing

Hi I have a 2011 Mini Cooper SD (50K miles) and I think either the clutch is failing or more likely the Dual Mass Flywheel has failed this morning (horrid clucking sound when clutch pedal depressed, but no clucking sound and drives ok when clutch engaged). Mini dealer looking at it tomorrow but I imagine a ££££££ charge to replace. Anyone know a good indy in Kingston-Upon-Thames Surrey or nearby I could try.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2018, 04:21 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timekat View Post
Hi I have a 2011 Mini Cooper SD (50K miles) and I think either the clutch is failing or more likely the Dual Mass Flywheel has failed this morning (horrid clucking sound when clutch pedal depressed, but no clucking sound and drives ok when clutch engaged). Mini dealer looking at it tomorrow but I imagine a ££££££ charge to replace. Anyone know a good indy in Kingston-Upon-Thames Surrey or nearby I could try.
Thanks.
sounds to me like the thrust bearing has pushed its way through the clutch pressure plate fingers and bearing failing,, or very common is flywheel centre bearing fails and off sets the fingers and this is by product of it. even if its only a clutch i would think about changing flywheel for piece of mind, seen a lot of people not do this to find they have another £1000 bill is 20.000 miles when the flywheel fails and they do a lot,, also very common on those engines is timing chain failures starts with noises and rattle from what appears to be the clutch, the timing chain lives on the rear of engine, seen a lot of these fail around 50-100k, in fact the two engine builders i know have stopped taking on these engines for rebuilds due to the bounce backs of past with them,,couple of links below worth a look ie n47 bmw diesels
BBC One - Watchdog - BMW deny engine failures are due to manufacturing fault

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Thanks for the quick response, greatly appreciated. I'll see what Mini say having handed over my £99plus VAT for inspection (plus wash and blow dry for the car apparently). Interestingly they also offered an AC refresh for £45 - err no, will see if the engine works first before I enjoy icy cold air in the winter.

Will be looking for an Indy garage in the Surrey area I think.

Thanks,

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

And I should have said "clunking" and not "clucking" makes it sound like there's a chicken in there which I'm pretty sure there isn't.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2018, 05:27 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timekat View Post
And I should have said "clunking" and not "clucking" makes it sound like there's a chicken in there which I'm pretty sure there isn't.
clunking" and not "clucking" hmmm could run over a chicken would of been cheaper (pardon the pun) than the bmw bill, kfc or bill from bmw

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in