LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 09:56 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Timing Chain issues - Which years?

Hi All,

Iím going to look at a Cooper 2.0 SD Roadster later this week.

Iíve heard some horror stories with regard to timing chains. Firstly what do I look/listen for. Secondly, Iíve read that the engines were modified/improved late 2011/2012, is this true.

The one Iím looking at is a late 2012 registered but not sure on build date. Is there any way I.e. Chassis Number/Engine number that I could check?

Cheers
Wayne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2019, 02:20 PM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 09:56 PM
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeweyMini View Post
Hi All,

Iím going to look at a Cooper 2.0 SD Roadster later this week.

Iíve heard some horror stories with regard to timing chains. Firstly what do I look/listen for. Secondly, Iíve read that the engines were modified/improved late 2011/2012, is this true.

The one Iím looking at is a late 2012 registered but not sure on build date. Is there any way I.e. Chassis Number/Engine number that I could check?

Cheers
Wayne
below link worth a read, notice 2013
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/a...re-do-i-stand-

its funny how mini also said they had inproved the prince engine mini ie petrols ones,, hmm reality is they fitted a longer chain tensioner with more throw on it to push the when it happens bit, ie they were getting as low as 24k most around the 60k failures,, never really dealt with the real issue ie a stupid narrow push bike chain for a timing chain.. the n47 diesels are no different they done same trick on those 2011 longer throw tensioner,, what they should of done is treated the customers with some respect and redesigned the chain completely ie fit dual duplex chains, but no they want cars to fail so people go buy new ones,, we the buyer would like to think 200k on a engine, they the seller would like 50k and by a new one i would guess. but its not just bmw mini its all vag group car with chains also do same trick. the tsi engines all do their chains early, vag group now say timing chain needed at 100k as part of service work,, but dont tell buyers this when buying it, hmmm

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in