LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:24 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom

DPF - Do I Have To Do Anything?

Few weeks back, picked up a gorgeous '63 Cooper SD. First Mini for about 7 years (previously had One Seven, Cooper and Cooper D).

I've been reading a lot online about DPF problems in modern diesels. I don't, and won't, use the car for short journeys. Always 20 mins+, with a variety of roads. A bit of floor-it-fun as well!

Before I bought it, previous owner had the inlet and intake manifolds replaced due the carbon build up, mileage at 70k.

When it comes to the DPF in the SD, is there anything I have to do? Can't find anything in the manual or online about regeneration, etc.

Or is it the case if I just drive as I normally would, avoid short journeys, and actually use the rev range, it should be okay?

Love to hear any thoughts and experiences on this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 01:59 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

very complicated question that on n47 diesels as driving them around at high revs will wear out timing chain parts faster, and thats a mother of all jobs due to the chain mounted at rear of engine on them,, a known weakness that came to light first around 2009 bbc watch dog done a name and shame on bmw over it, their defence was blame the owners for poor driving or and service etc, over the years the keep using same chains and have changed the tensioner to add more travel ie not really fixing the elephant in the room,, ie poor chains, this is also what they have done with the prince engines that bmw diesigned the heads and timing gear,, hmm see a pattern there,,
as for dpf filter well the more blocked it gets the more back pressure created and more carbon and the worst bit is unburnt diesel from engine trying to regen its self but cant correctly as system is partially blocked, this adds diesel to the carbon loaded oil and wear things out faster ie like timing chains, i would suggest that this was designed in to the system to do max damage around 100k ish so people would find it not worth repairing, as main agents play down the dpf filters costs and also effect on the engines,, and one major point a dpf filter is not for the life of a car,,,, its around 75.000 miles.. volvo now put the dpf filter as a service replace at 75k,, most of dpf damaged cars i see are around 100k, the ones that have filter changes early enough go on and on fairly ok,
vauxhall 1.7 cdti have same issues around 80k they seem to melt valves or the worst one is melt the cylinder bores away between 3 and 4 cylinder by head gasket this writes the engine off have seen many like this,,
cheapest option for dpf filter on later n47 engines is remove and send to a professional cleaner company as they are a saturation tyre filter just pressure washing dont really get them clean enough to last for another 75k, these company use heat and pressure etc to clean,, a number of company's on ebay advertise this service,
i just done my 81k 2.2hdi one as noticed the engine oil was getting thick after 4k ie good sign if know what to look for,

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2019, 02:02 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

dpf cleaning service below
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIESEL-PA...QAAOSw8d5ZWN43

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike1967 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: