LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 10:42 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

England Male

Dashcam in Countryman

Anyone use a dashcam in their Countryman? I only just noticed today that there is still power going to it after I've locked the doors. Car is plugged in and being charged via a three pin, so not sure if that has an impact.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2018, 10:56 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:42 PM
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Garage
Power stays on the internal 12v socket for about 30 mins after the car is locked.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

England Male

Cool, thanks Paul

Tempted to get a separate battery pack and hard wire my dash cams in, as I have a rear one as well. Idiots down my street park badly and had the car scratched up badly in a public car park before...Then at least I can run them 24/7

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2018, 03:51 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Funny I noticed exactly the same last night. I took it off charge, locked the car and noticed the dashcam was still on and the top edge of the centre console was flashing red every few seconds.

It all turned off after about 5-10 minutes
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

England Male

Finally had a chance to retrieve the memory card, wanted to heck how footage looked out of the rear camera, as I hadn't used it before. Turns out that the earliest footage was from 1am last night, when the car was stationary. It stayed on for about an hour and mysteriously stopped. It then came on again at 8am this morning, but that could have been part of pre-conditioning...Might need to hardware the cam into something else that properly turns off with the ignition, if I can't figure out to turn the camera off in the settings. I noted that the voltages are slightly different when the ignition isn't on.

Edit....

Plot thickens...this only happens when the car is plugged in to charge...

Last edited by Shiki2000; Nov 26th, 2018 at 03:31 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2019, 05:57 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

On my current Leon I have the dash cam wired into the fuse box via an adaptor.
Which fuse is the best to tag onto?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2019, 08:56 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiki2000 View Post
Anyone use a dashcam in their Countryman? I only just noticed today that there is still power going to it after I've locked the doors. Car is plugged in and being charged via a three pin, so not sure if that has an impact.
Sorry this is an old post, but I'm curious where you placed the rear camera? I've been told to put it above the number plate and also been told its fine on the parcel shelf if you bend the camera to the correct position.

Also, did you wire it to the reverse light? And if so, would you know which wire is the reverse light? I have a cooper and the light is On the bottom of the bumper, you have to get under the car to access to bulb.. And the wire I have just isn't long enough to be routed under the car
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 08:30 AM
MINI2 Newbie

LeeHughes, what do you want to use the camera for? Is it actually a reversing camera, which would only operate whilst reversing the car, or is it a rear view camera for a dash cam system? Depending on it’s use, the connections will be different.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

England Male

hmm, come to think of it, I didn't do any research when it came to sticking up the rear dashcam. I've stuck it right at the top of the rear window. It came with a long enough cable to lay along the bottom of the car and then up the front to the front camera. Car is a lease, so can't do anything too complicatd with the wiring, as I'd have to rip it all out and return the car.

A friend of mine also has a camera at the top of the rear window, which did capture a person in a balaclava using a repeater to unlock his car...doh
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2019, 01:49 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R22 JGB View Post
LeeHughes, what do you want to use the camera for? Is it actually a reversing camera, which would only operate whilst reversing the car, or is it a rear view camera for a dash cam system? Depending on it’s use, the connections will be different.
The plan is to use it as a reversing camera, the device I have actually records the rear view constantly when the rear camera is hooked up but you can't see it in the display unless it's in reverse.

I might try placing it at the top of the rear windscreen for now. It's just the 12v wire I have issues with that tells the screen to switch from the front view to the rear view.

Ive found a few videos on accessing the reverse light but thay requires me to get under the car, i don't have an impact wrench so just incase the only way to do this was to get under the car to access the reverse light I've soaked the bolts in w40 just incase I need to manually use a spanner and elbow grease as I did a quick test and they are seized on pretty tight .

All my sockets got stolen about a 6 months ago because I stupidly kept them in a shed and I just didn't have the money to replace them. I've got some insurance money coming soon so I think I'll buy a cheap set, and then pass them down to my son when my health is bad enough I can't work on cars anymore.

Thnx for the reply mate, I appreciate it

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 07:54 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Got my PHEV yesterday, got my Dash Cam wired up this afternoon, having trouble with my phone so have no pics of the installation.
Cable pushed nicely it the gap between the headlining & the screen, also down the A pillar, removed the side panel where the air bag switch is and connected the supply to one of the unused fuse ways. All working fine, comes on with the ignition and switches off when ignition switched off.
I’ll see if I can get a piccy of the fuse box
Shiki2000 and eame64 like this.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2019, 08:40 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Out of interest what Dash cam did you use as i would like one which is more or less unseen.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 07:38 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eame64 View Post
Out of interest what Dash cam did you use as i would like one which is more or less unseen.
When you say unseen, would you go for the type that replaces your rear view mirror? or the clip behind the original rear view mirror?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 07:43 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by R22 JGB View Post
Got my PHEV yesterday, got my Dash Cam wired up this afternoon, having trouble with my phone so have no pics of the installation.
Cable pushed nicely it the gap between the headlining & the screen, also down the A pillar, removed the side panel where the air bag switch is and connected the supply to one of the unused fuse ways. All working fine, comes on with the ignition and switches off when ignition switched off.
I’ll see if I can get a piccy of the fuse box
Did yours come with rear view camera?

Ive got my setup wired up now apart from the rear camera. Chemo has been a ***** the last few weeks so I've not even considered taking the rear clusters out to trace the 12v+ for the reverse light. I never could find the wire to splice for the reverse camera. I was gonna pop out the reverse light in the bumper, then follow the wires to find where it enters back into the car to find a decent splice point.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 09:14 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Sorry no reverse camera, I suspect there is an unused socket behind the number plate for a reverse camera to plug in. I have had no reason to search for it, so have not looked, sorry not to be of help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in