LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2018, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 10:23 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Norway Male

Bimmercode

Okay, I know this thread is likely to start a flame war telling me how stupid I am to even consider doing this, but this is not modding the car in any way. Bimmercode just sets options that are already there in the software. options that can easily be rolled back with a restore.

So here goes:

I want to change one or two things about how the car software behaves and have bought a suitable OBDII adapter and unlocked the Bimmercode app for coding.

The intended changes are:

1. Turn off hot/cold bulb tests for Stop lights, indicators and reversing light, to avoid flickering and hyper-flashing with LED bulb replacements. The coding for this seems to have worked.

2. Turn on tail lights together with Day-view driving lights. This was the standard in Scandinavia before alignment with EU rules and is still legal, although no longer standard. The coding option is there, but I haven't had a chance to test it in daylight yet.

3. Activate mirror-tilt when reversing. (I thought this should be enabled as standard, but it's deactivated). The coding option is there, but a simple engage reverse test while stationary in the garage didn't seem to work. Maybe the car needs to move??

4. Activate door handle lights in reverse (helps to view kerb through tilted mirror when reversing in dark). The coding option is there, but a simple engage reverse test while stationary in the garage didn't seem to work. Maybe the car needs to move??

5. Deactivate tailgate open from key fob. The coding option is there, but the setting just seemed to screw-up closing the tailgate again, without changing the opening. I think this needs to be done in Advanced mode, but what are the codes?

6. Start in Max Edrive as standard. I can't find a coding option for this, although start in comfort, Eco, Eco+, Sport and Sport+ are there. I tested changing to Eco and that did cause the car to start in "Green" mode. Not what I wanted but confirms the option works. If anyone knows of a similar, advanced option to start in Max Edrive, I'd be really pleased to know. The reason for this is that the car sometimes starts the petrol engine when I don't want it to, if it's running in normal eDrive.

Any Bimmercode experts on the forum? I'd be happy to hear from you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2018, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Norway Male

Update:

Reverted BCM to original config through restore, so tailgate is as originally configured.

Confirmed door handle lights when reverse gear is engaged: working.

Mirror tilt caused start/stop errors when I tried to code it, so reverted the module to original config and re-coded, avoiding mirror tilt.

Rear daytime driving lights still not confirmed due to darkness.

Stephan Grauch is looking at the tailgate and mirror til problems and I'll update here when he gets back to me.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 10:32 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Hey Learnincurve2, did you manage to get any updates at all on the mirror tilt? I too have ran into problems with the this not working, however all other changes appear to have worked (door lights on reverse, sport mode on start-up) unable to check rear lights on with daytime running lights due to darkness so hoping to check tomorrow. Mirror tilt initially gave no errors when set as 100% and 80%. I tried it at 40% out of curiosity to see if I could get it to work at all... it didn't, but it did give me an error message, for me I got a 'Front-end Collision warning' turned off message. Cheers

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Norway Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerstar View Post
Hey Learnincurve2, did you manage to get any updates at all on the mirror tilt? I too have ran into problems with the this not working, however all other changes appear to have worked (door lights on reverse, sport mode on start-up) unable to check rear lights on with daytime running lights due to darkness so hoping to check tomorrow. Mirror tilt initially gave no errors when set as 100% and 80%. I tried it at 40% out of curiosity to see if I could get it to work at all... it didn't, but it did give me an error message, for me I got a 'Front-end Collision warning' turned off message. Cheers
I think I may have got the same error when I tried to code the tilt.

According to Stephan from Bimmercode, mirror tilt is (surprisingly for me) only available if you have self-folding mirrors (which I don't). I was also informed on another forum that the mirror adjustment selector switch needs to be set for Driver side adjustment for mirror tilt to be active. If you continue to get the front collision deactivated warning, you might have to restore your original config and try to find the expert codes for the mirror tilt.

Rear DRL is definitely working for me.

Do keep us updated on how you get on!

BR.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2019, 08:37 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hello i was wondering if you can help me. I have just bought a 2018 mini cooper s convertible, it hasnt got the driving modes and i really want the sport mode so i can get some exhaust tunes. I have stumbled upon bimmercode app and apparently if i buy a aoc adapter and pay to unlock app i can easily activate sport mode. My questions are from a total novice - have you done this?, what adapter did you buy do you have a link, do you think it will work for my car r57 i think?, does it make ur exhaust pop and crackle which is main reason for wanting to do this. Thanks in advance.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 2019, 09:24 PM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 11:23 PM
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

Scotland

Garage
Learincurve - reverse tilt mirrors - I have this on my June 2018 PHEV but it works when it wants to, but not every time. It’s a pain as I am used to having from all my previous cars of the last 14 years where it worked faultlessly every time

Driving along in my automobile
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 2019, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Norway Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_average View Post
Hello i was wondering if you can help me. I have just bought a 2018 mini cooper s convertible, it hasnt got the driving modes and i really want the sport mode so i can get some exhaust tunes. I have stumbled upon bimmercode app and apparently if i buy a aoc adapter and pay to unlock app i can easily activate sport mode. My questions are from a total novice - have you done this?, what adapter did you buy do you have a link, do you think it will work for my car r57 i think?, does it make ur exhaust pop and crackle which is main reason for wanting to do this. Thanks in advance.
I think this would only work JCW exhaust hardware (baffles), but I'm a little surprised that a cooper S HASN'T got driving modes. Perhaps you'd be better off directing your questions to the cooper S convertible forum. The Countryman Cooper S certainly has modes, but pops and crackles are reserved for the JCW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C9VqIem7ik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0A9nBNdRy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Scotland View Post
Learincurve - reverse tilt mirrors - I have this on my June 2018 PHEV but it works when it wants to, but not every time. It’s a pain as I am used to having from all my previous cars of the last 14 years where it worked faultlessly every time
It's been a while since I played with BimmerCode, as I'm still banging my head against the wall with BMW, trying to get them to fix mini-connected app access from the approved Android phone that I bought specifically to have that functionality; having spent two evenings tweaking the car, BMW completely wiped my software, removing everything (including the fuel stats that I had built up since the car was new). I haven't been bothered to re-tweak, but will do so now as I have given up on them ever making the Android app work as it should and have bought an extra sim-card for my iPhone, which will now reside permanently in the car. Tilting mirrors would be good if I could get them to work, although the BimmerCode developer said that the functionality requires not only electrically adjustable, but also electrically folding mirrors, which my car doesn't have.

Best
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 09:37 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I would like the Scandinavian DRLs, had these set up on my Leon. But are the MINI Countryman SE PHEV tail lights LED?
Mirror Dip, this works too well on my car, the mirror dips too far for me, showing the ground, I like to see the garage door post as I reverse into the drive, but can’t see it as the mirror dips too much.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 17th, 2019, 12:11 PM
Mini noob

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Sweden

The tail light (as the "position light") are LEDs from the factory.
All others lights (turn signals, brake lights, fog and reverse lights) are regular light bulbs (still, I replaced the turn signal lights into LED ones, CANBUS compatible, both front and back).
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Norway Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by R22 JGB View Post
I would like the Scandinavian DRLs, had these set up on my Leon. But are the MINI Countryman SE PHEV tail lights LED?
Mirror Dip, this works too well on my car, the mirror dips too far for me, showing the ground, I like to see the garage door post as I reverse into the drive, but can’t see it as the mirror dips too much.
Mirror dip angle can certainly be adjusted in Bimmercode, if it is working at all, as can DRL tail lights (inner ring, outer ring or both). I'd be interested to know if you have electrically folding mirrors, or just the electrically adjustable ones (like me).

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 2019, 09:02 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I have auto folding mirrors and mirror dip as standard on my Countryman S E All4 PHEV. The problems is the mirror dips too much, so all I can see is the ground!
I have queried this at the dealers, the car is going into the dealers on Tuesday to have a look at that and update the software as I do not have track title on the DAB radio, apparently I need the latest software. The car was built Sept 18.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2019, 06:25 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Norway Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by R22 JGB View Post
I have auto folding mirrors and mirror dip as standard on my Countryman S E All4 PHEV. The problems is the mirror dips too much, so all I can see is the ground!
I have queried this at the dealers, the car is going into the dealers on Tuesday to have a look at that and update the software as I do not have track title on the DAB radio, apparently I need the latest software. The car was built Sept 18.
Sounds as if you have everything you need. If the dealers still get the dip angle wrong, you can certainly adjust in bimmercode.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2019, 04:20 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_average View Post
Hey did you manage to find any answers to this? I have a 2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S but without the driving modes. I made the mistake of listening to a salesman who insisted it was better without the modes as drove in sport mode all the time.

It seems and I could be wrong but the bimmercode only locks in the sport mode, as in it engages sport mode automatically when the car starts up. However, I think you may need the modes in the first place to activate this function. I could be wrong and hope I am as I really miss the throttle response I had in my Cooper SD hatch.

Can someone please way in on this and provide some info/thoughts.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 10th, 2019, 04:47 PM
MINI2 Newbie

The tail light (as the "position light") are LEDs from the factory.
All others lights (turn signals, brake lights, fog and reverse lights) are regular light bulbs (still, I replaced the turn signal lights into LED ones, CANBUS compatible, both front and back).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in