LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 10:56 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Norway Male

Mini Connected and Android

This is still a huge frustration for me.

I replaced my stop-gap iPhone 5 with a new, Huawei Android phone, after checking the Mini Connected compatibility list for a phone with good support for the features I most wanted.

The result is that almost nothing works in the car. Even phone calls are not working properly and I have had absolutely zero success setting up TuneIn Radio and Spotify.

Before choosing the phone I sent a mail to BMW support, but the handinmg time on the helpdesk was so long (several weeks) that by the time I received a reply, I had already gone-ahead and chosen the phone. They described a setup workflow that has absolutely failed for me on my phone.

If anyone has any tips or tricks I'd be really happy to hear as I have no faith that BMW will live up to providing meaningful help for phones that they claim to support.

I might take the car and phone to the local BMW agent on Monday and stand over them. At least that would give me the pleasure of watching them sweat a bit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 09:37 AM
knt
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Have you tried this?

https://www.mini.com/en_MS/home/mini-connectivity.html

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Norway Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by knt View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have. That's where I looked up the compatible phone that I ended up buying.

Entered VIN and one or two filters and ended up with a shortlist of phones, one of which was the P20.

BR.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 11:05 AM
knt
MINI2 Regular

Maybe the dealers can update the in car software if your phone software is up to date and setup correctly.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Norway Male

Quote:
Maybe the dealers can update the in car software if your phone software is up to date and setup correctly.
My suspicion is that it is a phone software update that has broken the connectivity, as the phone was probably tested on an earlier version.

Android 9.0 "Pie" is just about to roll out on the phone, so any fix for the current version may not work for long either.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 12:24 PM
knt
MINI2 Regular

Previously the in car system could be updated via USB from BMW MINI, but not sure if this is still available to do.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Norway Male

Quote:
Previously the in car system could be updated via USB from BMW MINI, but not sure if this is still available to do.
I haven't been able to find the min-specific update suite recently. I did download one update from BMW some time ago, using my VIN, but the car refused to accept it. Could possibly try again???

BMW software (including their websites) seems to be a complete mess. I'm glad they don't build their cars the same way!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 04:59 PM
knt
MINI2 Regular

Maybe they do .
Shiki2000 likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 6th, 2019, 09:29 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

England Male

hmm, didn't even realise an update hit my phone for Mini Connected. Not sure what else has been approved, but I like the fact that the Android app now states whether the car is locked. Saves having to issue a remote lock command, just in case I forgot to lock the car up...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Norway Male

I installed the update a week or two ago, when it hit the play store. For my 2018 model not much has changed, but Spotify finally plays! . Unfortunately Tune-In Radio doesn't, but it does on iPhone (while Spotify is still broken there). So if I spend 5 minutes messing about every time I want to change from Spotify to Tune-In, I can use both apps in the car.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 7th, 2019, 01:06 PM
Mini noob

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Sweden

Wow, so Spotify works now fine on Android? Great news! Bye bye iPhone, hello Pixel 3 🙂
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2019, 02:54 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:56 PM
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not sure if this helps or not ... Im using Huawei Mate10.

I've got an app installed and worked once.
The app itself had various updates throughout the years and most of the time, the app just load up and hanged at the page.

Not until yesterday, I suddenly had a thought going into app permission settings and turned on all the permissions for that app. Guess what, I can load up and run the app!
Shiki2000 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in