LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:46 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

United Kingdom

My Mini Phev

Picked up our Countryman Phev just before Christmas after ordering back at the beginning of August,itís melting Silver with black roof and mirror caps.
Extras include chilli pack,darkened rear windows and heated front screen.iíve already fitted genuine mud flaps and rubber interior and boot mats.
Only a few hundred miles in but enjoying it so far and slowly getting around all its gadgets.Iím very familiar with Hybrid as our main car is a Lexus RX450H which weíve had for over three years.I am a big Lexus fan and also have a rare IS250c LE. We did fancy a plug in Hybrid and as Lexus Donít do them as yet we did like the look of the countryman and as you all know they are very quick cars and a lot of fun to drive.
Charging at home has been fine with the granny charger but I have got a 7kw Rolec wall charger being fitted in a week or so.It will be mainly used for local journeys and the odd motorway journey where I just put it in save and regenerate until I hit built up areas when I just flick back into Max-derive.
Being following this forum for a while and have enjoyed reading the posts about how to get the best out of the car.
Look forward to some chat over the coming months.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0431BEC4-2D2C-485A-AFA9-C4E0E865FF1B.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	227149  
Shiki2000 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2019, 07:44 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I am glad you are happy with your car .we only have the cooper 1.5 but itís a great little car and pulls are caravan fine.
We would have loved to go for the PHEV but as yet havenít given it a tow weight. We have the same colour and it looks lovely with the sun on it .

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7605DF8A-4E90-421C-B940-CA4B67DA6495.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	227155   Click image for larger version

Name:	78AA3D19-8DE2-45B6-AC71-CFB485192F51.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	227157  
eame64 likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 2019, 11:20 PM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 07:46 PM
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

Scotland

Garage
Many PHEVs and BEVs are unrated for towing, itís a pain as I only tow an Ivor Williams P100E 6x4 box trailer ratedat 750kgs load and have to use my Defender as no towing with the Countryman. I looked at the IPace and that has a deplorable tow bar available according to the on line configuration fir £1100 but then further on in the technical blurb there is a statement that says the vehicle is unsuitable for Towing!
eame64 likes this.

Driving along in my automobile

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 2019, 09:00 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Great choice! Picked up our PHEV yesterday. Had been driving the dealer’s own PHEV for a couple of weeks so managed to get pretty up to speed on the equipment. Maybe see you around sometime!
eame64 likes this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 14th, 2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Also meant to say that we had ours debadged apart from the 's' on the front grill.I just think they can look way to busy with all that lettering on the boot.

Last edited by eame64; Jan 14th, 2019 at 03:04 PM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2019, 09:09 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

England Male

hahaha, let alone the car, its a mouthful on paper...

is definitely eye catching though, had ours charging in a car park, when we got back, there was a family that owned a Mitsubishi PHEV having a look at our Countryman. Wife was just mega suspicious, I just said they were intrigued by a Mini PHEV
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2019, 04:13 PM
MINI2 Senior

Scotland

Garage
Iíve had that too and been told off by an irate BEV owner that I shouldnít be parking my car in a slot for electric vehicles, just let him rant on as I opened the wing flap and plugged in the tethered cable. He shut up then, but honestly the car has stylised plug badges all over it plain enough to see! Iíve has a family in a Tesla X stop me at the charger and ask if they could have a look inside as they were considering one as a 2nd car. Countryman PHEVs do seem to be very rare in the UK.
Shiki2000 and eame64 like this.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 2019, 04:53 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim in Scotland View Post
Countryman PHEVs do seem to be very rare in the UK.
Even rarer in italy! In Italian forum there are only three of us (I'm waiting for one);
for you that drive PHEV version, what do you think about this car? (I can not wait to drive "her" !!)
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2019, 02:55 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eame64 View Post
Charging at home has been fine with the granny charger but I have got a 7kw Rolec wall charger being fitted in a week or so.It will be mainly used for local journeys and the odd motorway journey where I just put it in save and regenerate until I hit built up areas when I just flick back into Max-derive.
Out of interest how many electric miles does yours show after a full charge at home ?

I have found Save does not regenerate as much as Mid or Sport, Sport seems to do the best and on stop start / short journeys
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

I think like most in this weather its just showing about 14 but i v'e actually only charged it about 4 times so far.
I live a couple of miles out from our local town so tend to leave the house in save as its rural and then just flick into max-edrive as i hit the town and built up areas it works really well and suits me.
I'm also pleased at the regeneration it gives travelling to and from town.As i've said in my intro our main car is a Lexus Hybrid so have been well practised over the years of getting the best from the regen.
Its also amazing how much stuff you can fit in the countryman with the seats down as i found out on a couple of visits to the Tip.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2019, 10:41 AM
MINI2 Senior

Scotland

Garage
I had mine checked out by the dealer as it was only showing 14 miles range after a charge. There was a delay because not every dealership has PHEV qualified technicians and the group I bought mine from has two PHEV techs for 6 outlets........ so appointments are thin on the ground. They reset all sorts of things over two days and managed to get the charge up to 18 miles range but the next day the car was showingb14 miles again so I suspect that they charged my car up in the heated workshop overnight whereas at home the car sits outside charging. During the summer it was mostly showing 27 or 28 miles and I have since learned from neighbours with a Renault Zoe and a Tesla that it is the same with their cars in winter, the range drops hugely as soon as we get cold nights.
eame64 likes this.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 2019, 05:44 PM
MINI2 Senior

Scotland

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlord View Post
Even rarer in italy! In Italian forum there are only three of us (I'm waiting for one);
for you that drive PHEV version, what do you think about this car? (I can not wait to drive "her" !!)
I love mine, I have come to Countryman after almost 30 years of owning Range Rovers, Range Rover Sports, Range Rover Evoque, Discoveries and Defender and find the Mini much better assembled, no rattles or squeaks but most of all the dealer wanted to sell me a car! Land Rover dealers I think are to used to repeat customers and donít need to sell these days but if they donít change they will be loosing more sales than they already have. I donít ďloveĒ my Countryman inthe way I did any Range Rover or Defender and probably wonít feel as sad as I did letting my last Sport go when the Countryman arrived but iím more Than pleased with the Mini so far, 7 months into ownership. I saved a lot of money too just in diesel was spending about £250 , now itís a bad month if I spend £100 on petrol and electricity combined!

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

I know what you mean Tim about the LR dealers,i too have had a Disco 3 and a freelander 2 which we had from new in 2010 and kept for six years and in 2014 was actually trying to buy the run out Freelander Metropolis but i didn't get any returned calls from any of the dealers i spoke to.Thats when i went to lexus which is a whole other world of customer service.But the freelander was a great car and i believe to this day still there most reliable.My brother is a LR or (JLR) as it is these days nut and like yourself has had quite a few, he even drives the Range Rover for work as he is chauffeur.I remember in one of your recent posts you were going to test drive the I-pace did this happen and what was your opinion?My brother also got lucky enough to have one over the christmas period and he loved it.
I still think JLR should have used the launch of the Velar to go Petrol Hybrid it was a perfect opportunity imho.
Myself and brother have both worked at the solihull plant in the nineties and his son still works there but i do fear for jobs with falling sales, also a huge number of families in the area rely on that employment.
I also notice you are a Ships Captain, i was in the Merchant Navy back in the early eighties and worked on RFA and the first Oriana as well as a little trip down south in 1982.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 2019, 11:09 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thank you for your report! a question, for your experience how many miles do you drive in full electric (with 10-25į Celsius) ?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 2019, 09:14 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 15 Post(s)

England Male

Conditions can make it vary a lot to be honest, received our car back in September 2018. Wifes return trip was around 8 miles and we couldn't be bothered to charge it every night because it wasn't that convenient at our house. By the end of the second day the car was virtually empty battery or even already starting to use a little petrol.

Was basically only getting around 16miles on the battery back then. Think the average temperature was around 18C I think...Mixture of inclines and 30mph and 40mph roads...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in