LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 10:38 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DAB Radio Tuning Issues

Hello there.

Just posting to see if anyone else has these issues.....I have a 2014 Countryman SD which has a DAB Radio. My issues are 2 fold: -

1 - the DAB radio reception is terrible.....I am aware of a couple of DAB blank spots between my home and work when I commute in my other car (Fiat 500) but when I commute in the Mini, the radio drops out loads more. I have checked the Ariel and it looks fine....Just seems odd that 2 different cars/radios driving the same route would get massively different receptions.

2. Every time I start up the car I have to manually search for the DAB radio stations. It does find them, but not automatically. This hasn't always been the case, when I first bought the Mini it would automatically come on when I start the engine.

Any help / pointers welcome

Craig

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2019, 02:48 PM
Mini noob

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Sweden

On #1 I only can say that BMW does not have a good antenna implementation for the DAB frequencies. I had terrible experiences with DAB reception in my mini in Sweden, that terrible in fact that I started using the regular FM at times, just not to have to deal with those drop-outs (very annoying).
I cannot comment on #2 since I have never experienced this.

However, I'm now using TuneIn for radio and Spotify for music so the radio system is just a checkbox on a spec-sheet somewhere.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2019, 02:55 PM
0.1mpg (Miles per Grin)

Local Time: 11:38 AM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

United Kingdom View nobbyclark's Electric Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Garage
If it needs to scan every time, this suggests there is something wrong with the unit. I live in a fairly poorly covered part of Scotland and both of my Minis get a good DAB signal, even in areas where I used to get no signal in previous cars. Might be worth taking it to a dedicated car stereo shop to see if they can suggest anything.

Mini1: 2017 F56 JCW with enough tech to make Alec Issigonis spin
Mini2: 2016 R60 All4 Cooper S with more toys than Hamleys

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2019, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for you help folks, appreciated.

I'll get someone to look at the unit and report back.

Cheers
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2019, 09:39 AM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 11:38 AM
Quoted: 115 Post(s)

Scotland

Garage
TuneIn is great but you need to be driving in areas with decent 4G mobile internet to stream it which isnít always the case in Scotland once away from the main centres of population. I find DAB in Scotland is often better than FM. E.g where I live 20 north of Glasgow FM reception isnít great, DAB never drops out but I cannot get Classic FM on either DAB or FM here so I stream it either on my phone through their app or on Apple Car Play or TuneIn via the carís audio - I have the optional HK system and streamed music sounds great over it.

Driving along in my automobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in