MINI Cooper Forum banner

PHEV, what spec?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  ro_explorer 
#1 ·
I have a PHEV on 48hr test, but can’t work out which version it is!
According to the brochure the Classic has horizontal slats on the radiator grille. The Sport has black headlining, The exclusive has leather seats
The car I have does not have the horizontal slats on the grille so can’t be a Classic, or can it?
It has light headlining so can’t be a Sport
It does not have leather seats so can’t be an Exclusive

As it is currently listed on the Used MINI website I suspect it will have been a “management” car, I’m guessing it is a Classic with a host of options. It was built in Sept ‘18, has Silver 18” wheels, it has the Navigation pack, but am sure this is standard, it would appear to have the Comfort pack, Sports seat with a central “leather” pad, LED headlights, auto interior mirror dipping, folding external mirrors and possibly a couple of other extras. I am surprised these car do not come with front parking sensors, I have them on my current car & find them very useful.
I cannot sus out which model I have, I’d hate to order a new one only to find something that I thought should be fitted is not there!
I have also tried the MINE Connected app, I did think this allowed you to pre heat the car but cannot see this listed on the app. Does this only work with the Nav +?
I cannot see that the Nav + give a great deal of “usefull” features for me, apart from the larger screen.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I have been told “my” car is an Exclusive, but it has sports seats not leather ones.
Tim in Scotland, can you control the heating etc in your via the phone! Does yours have Nav +? I would like to pre heat the car, but not if I need to include the Nav+ pack at £1300!
I’m about to take the car back and think about what I want. I like the PHEV, but do’t want to spend a fortune. Rather than a factory order at around £36k, I may just settle for one of the used ones, but not the blue one I have had for 2 days.

Ok, I have now returned the test car. I queried what trim the car was and was advised for 2018 MY there was only one model of PHEV ( no Classic, sport or exclusive), but the Chili pack ( no longer available) added the extras on the car.
So now I can work out how much a new car would cost with the same extras.

#5 ·
Yes I have the upgraded Nav+ Pack as well as the upgraded comms pack and a lot of the other packs too and can control the “climatisation” as Mini calls it from the app. I also have the upgrade to climate control from plain air con. There fewer charging options using the app compared to using the dash screen settings - over the common things to both app and in dash functions the charging rate (Lowe, medium, high) can only be set from the dash. I suspect 99% of owners wouldn’t be bothered by charge rate as they would want the fastest rate all the time. As I leave my car plugged in for up to 4 months without driving it then being able to set it to the lowest rate and to only charge in off peak times is really useful for me while I am at sea working.

I specced my £31500 list PHEV to £39000 to avoid the luxury car tax that starts at £40000.............. so I have many options on mine......... that brought the price after the February 2018 rise to £42500 on paper.......... but BMW and Mini agreed to hold my price to pay the 2017 contracted price and they paid the first 5 years increased tax for me too as a sweetener to waiting 7 months to have delivery because of their problems with software in the ordering dept that wiped out their order books while the applied the price rise and also reconfigured the option packs.

One tip I would suggest - while it looks nice with a black contrast roof, on sunny days it really heats up the interior which with the battery conditioning causes a battery cooling system to run which will deplete your electric motoring range - the local dealership has a demo with a white contrast roof and over Easter, while my car’s cooling system cut in they reported to me that their new white roofed demo car didn’t have its battery fan running........ so if you have to park in a place with little or no shade on sunny days then try to find a PHEV with a white roof rather than a black roof.
One tip I was given by Mini owning friends before I ordered was not to spec the full leather interior as there have been wear and creasing issues with BMW’s leather. I am used to all leather interiors on my car’s and have never had thus problem. I took their advice and have the half leather/half cloth interior and it’s fine.the standard issue seats are very comfortable and are heated. I wish I had ordered the Cooper Works upgraded interior though, it looks lovely!

#6 ·
I wish I had ordered the Cooper Works upgraded interior though, it looks lovely!
I have the JCW interior and now I don't think I will ever be able to have a car w/o alcantara seats :) This material is simply put: superb! No squeaking, no cold/hot feeling in winter/summer, extremely resilient when it comes to wear and tear.
I highly recommend it ... but the JCW seats are coming with a premium and do not have electric adjustments.

The navigation XL comes with real time traffic info sent via 4G, so the entire connected package is activated by that option (plus the lovely big screen in the middle).

#7 ·
Also with the upgraded XL system you get “over the air” system updates for the navigation database so your maps are always up to the latest issue, also I have found some other system can be remotely updated while you are on the move! I had a message appear on my centre screen on Tuesday advising that the car had received a system upgrade and would I like to update it now or later! My car was in the dealership service bay last Friday to have an software update from last December applied. This was for the central screen charging settings which I was unable to activated after they did an update in Nov 2017! Basically after the upgrade I could only set the charging and climatisation settings from the app, the touch screen was unresponsive to selection the charging settings, but worked fine for everything else you need a touchscreen for.
JCW Seats - I don’t have any electric adjustment on my car’s standard issue seats so not a problem! I didn’t look on the Cooper Works Countryman in the showroom to see if it still has the adjustable pull out under thigh leg rest - do you still have that Ro?

#8 ·
I didn’t look on the Cooper Works Countryman in the showroom to see if it still has the adjustable pull out under thigh leg rest - do you still have that Ro?
Yes, those are there for the JCW as well.

The picture is from the old car (where I had only the JCW seats). On the new one I have the entire JCW package (front/back bumpers, rear spoiler, steering wheel, pedals, seats and wheels - plus the JCW markings on the inside of the door frames.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.