MINI Cooper Forum banner

Cruise control

14K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Griffithjr001 
#1 ·
What is Cruise Control with brake function?
Is this automatic distance controlled cruise control, where the car applies the brakes when you approach a car in front?
Or is is BMW speak for standard cruise control?
On my recent test I was approaching a car in front and the car would have driven into the back of the car in front had I not braked. With the green button adjacent to the hazard light switch I thought this was the control for the warning on getting close to the car in front.

#2 ·
When you enable the cruise control it is an adaptive cruise control in fact. It will read the distance to the car in front via the camera and it will adapt its speed by breaking/accelerating alone. When/if the traffic comes to a stop, the car will slow down by itself till a complete stop and it will start by its own when the traffic moves. If the car is standing still more than a few seconds the automatic brake will kick in and the car will only move if you will accelerate.

The adaptive cruise control can be turned off and only a regular CC can be enabled, via settings.

#3 ·
Thanks ro_explorer.
I am looking at the brochure specs for 2019MY, the Classic model does not appear to have cruise fitted, whilst the Sport & the Exclusive have “cruise control with brake function” to fit cruise as an option to the Classic requires the “Driving assistant pack” which includes “Active Cruise Control” so I’m a touch confused is the standard cruise on the Sport & exclusive is actually Active cruise or not.
The car I had on test a 2018 car had cruise but would have rammed the back of a car in front had I not intervened! I suspect that “Cruise control with brake function” is not active or adaptive, but what is the “brake function”?

#5 · (Edited)
"From 18 mph upwards, the cruise control with brake function automatically regulates the desired speed and maintains it even when driving downhill, applying the brakes when required. This function is operated via the multifunction steering wheel, and makes driving a MINI an even safer and more relaxing experience."

Active cruise control is the following - "As well as maintaining a set speed, the camera-based active cruise control system regulates the distance from the vehicle in front on busy roads and motorways. The system operates between 18 - 87 mph."

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.