MINI Countryman MINI Countryman 2010 - Present

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 06:16 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wheel bearing or diff noise

Hi, hope someone can help, I have a Countryman Cooper d all4. When I get to about 35 mph and above there is a noise a wheel bearing or something growling. I have jacked up and checked each wheel for any play and spun them to try and hear any noise but all appears ok. Someone suggested that perhaps it might be the diff. Should the oil be changed in this as I have done just over 50k. The noise has been apparent for the past couple of months and I really worried that it might not be economic to repair. TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2019, 12:51 PM
MINI2 Regular

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Norway Male

Before going to any great mechanical lengths, you might want to check your tyres for "sawtooth" wear.

Varies from car to car and tread-pattern to tread pattern, but I had a FWD car (not my mini) that produced the issue very quickly on the rear tyres. Was convinced it was a wheel-bearing until somebody showed me how to check the tyres.

It's a pain though, especially on mini, where we're advised against tyre rotation.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2019, 10:39 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am in exactly the same spot. 2013 Countrymen S all4 with 49,000miles .
1500 miles back it seemed just a bit noisier but now it is a rumble- vibration from front of car.
2 days ago I went to tire shop and they changed 1 separated tire and shook all four
wheel bearings and i figured all was good . It is the same when i shift to neutral on a level rd
at 40mph . The vibration is constant in and out of drive.
possibly CV joint ? it is scary to not check trans oil but i have no drips.
any ideas ?

mark

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 07:52 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

find a carpark somewhere out the way try putting car on full lock and pull away leave windows down, if car feels like it grabs wheels and clicks and feels held, if does then maybe centre diff plates have worn out common, also the oil can get old and contaminated and effect the slip properties and cause a difference in drive line that causes windup in drive line,, i bought a 4x4 a little while ago had new gearbox in it and owner had it back to garage a number of times and then decided to just get rid, hmm turned out some muppet had put wrong oil in middle diff and effected the slip on the plates, so oil can make a big. now it drives like a new car, my point is when you know that all the stuff like oils and levels are all good then can work backwards off that

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 29th, 2019, 05:35 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Somebody on the forum had the same and it was a split rim wheel . Have you got them ?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2019, 10:01 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:16 AM
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

South Africa

Garage
South Africa

I read on the gearbox sticker that it's a NO FILL gearbox i.e. we don't need to top-up the oil. This though is for a standard Copper S FWD. Not sure how the diffs/gearbox work in the AWD.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeff View Post
Somebody on the forum had the same and it was a split rim wheel . Have you got them ?
No, just standard 17 inch alloys.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntjamme View Post
I read on the gearbox sticker that it's a NO FILL gearbox i.e. we don't need to top-up the oil. This though is for a standard Copper S FWD. Not sure how the diffs/gearbox work in the AWD.
Had garage check oil in diff, said it was low although no signs of any leak. Drained and refilled it. Thought it was quieter but not sure, maybe just hoping.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 31st, 2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark J Dulin View Post
I am in exactly the same spot. 2013 Countrymen S all4 with 49,000miles .
1500 miles back it seemed just a bit noisier but now it is a rumble- vibration from front of car.
2 days ago I went to tire shop and they changed 1 separated tire and shook all four
wheel bearings and i figured all was good . It is the same when i shift to neutral on a level rd
at 40mph . The vibration is constant in and out of drive.
possibly CV joint ? it is scary to not check trans oil but i have no drips.
any ideas ?

mark
As you see in reply to others, I had the oil in the diff checked, it was low although no leaks, drained and refilled, think it might be quieter but not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in