LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 12:15 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Engine warning light on, moderate driving allowed

Hi all

New to the forum. Have a problem which despite loads of research I'm not quite sure of next action.

Have a 62 plate Countryman Cooper S, 52k miles. On Saturday, doing about 75mph on dual carriageway and I felt the car hesitate under moderate acceleration... not a misfire, no smoke or theatrics, just a lag in the power.

Then the yellow engine light comes on and we're in limp mode.

Got home, turned engine off, restarted, car went OK despite engine light still on.

Left the car for a few days drove it today, hardish down the local motorway and happened again.

Car does a lot of short journeys.

Battery fine (checked)

Any ideas of course to take ? Likely a plug in and diagnosis ?
What could it be ?

Cheers all

Julian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 27th, 2019, 09:18 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Sound like what he had on are mini . It was the oil cap loss and air getting in . It drive fine at low revs but as soon as we got speed up on the motorway it started .

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Hi Keeff. Thanks. You mean simply the oil reservoir cap was loose/off ? Or am I being too simplistic !!! 🤣

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Hi Keeff. Thanks. You mean simply the oil reservoir cap was loose/off ? Or am I being too simplistic !!! Thanks
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 03:24 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

need to scan the system with a diagnostics best value for money is autocom cdp plus link below for a idea of, or take it to garage and have it scanned as you need to know whats going on with it, it might be a vac leake of pcv system ie the oil cap is part of that, but there so many things on that car that can cause it and if dont find and fix it could end up with damage,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-Blue...oAAOSwq55c0VnY
Julian Ireland likes this.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike1967 For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 05:02 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Yes mine was the oil filler cap on top of the engine . It was on but not done up but it took the dealer all day and lots of fault codes showing . They wanted to blame me for it but shut up when I said you had it in for a service the week before and I havenít open the bonnet. It could be a air leak on a hose so have good look about .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keeff For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 28th, 2019, 05:54 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeff View Post
Yes mine was the oil filler cap on top of the engine . It was on but not done up but it took the dealer all day and lots of fault codes showing . They wanted to blame me for it but shut up when I said you had it in for a service the week before and I havenít open the bonnet. It could be a air leak on a hose so have good look about .
the joys of a pcv emissions designed engines where the crankcase is all part of the inlet manifold i've seen people not replace the rocker cover rubbers gaskets and 0-ring gaskets for spark plugs and have a leak that made car run weak and all kinds of plausibility fault codes for 02 sensors and maff etc, and they replaced a load of stuff that was working and telling them it was working just not reading within the designed parameters,, the first time a ran in to the above fault it got me running around in circles,, until i decided not to be so stupid and start with a process that works, ie smoke test the system find any leaks before anything else, take 15 minutes if that, not take anything for granted treat it all with same amount of contempt,, as all the new tech cars are getting harder to fix even when you know what your doing sometimes something comes along and makes a arse of you .

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Thanks for this post from:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in