post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2019, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 01:15 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Fan running on

Hi all,

Recently bought my wife a 2011 Cooper SD all4 countryman, we both love it! However, she has said it has done it a couple of times and this morning I witnessed it, after a short journey (maybe 1 mile) the fan runs on, the car hasn't warmed up, this morning I opened the bonnet and checked and the coolant wasn't hot. It doesn't do this everytime. Does anyone know if there's a reason for this, or do I maybe have a faulty temperature sensor?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2019, 07:47 AM
MINI2 Senior

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View Mid Life Mini's Classified Ads

I don’t know what it is but i think it is normal as it used to happen with my Cooper D Convertible and my Cooper SD Roadster, I thought it was strange that it did it after a really short journey. I parked next to a Cooper D in a park and ride car park and the fan was running on that and the girl that owned it was worried and called her dad when she got on the bus. I assured her it was normal as my car did that as well.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2019, 09:03 AM
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 12:15 AM
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford306 View Post
Hi all,

Recently bought my wife a 2011 Cooper SD all4 countryman, we both love it! However, she has said it has done it a couple of times and this morning I witnessed it, after a short journey (maybe 1 mile) the fan runs on, the car hasn't warmed up, this morning I opened the bonnet and checked and the coolant wasn't hot. It doesn't do this everytime. Does anyone know if there's a reason for this, or do I maybe have a faulty temperature sensor?
Thanks
need to scan it see what codes are lurking without a eml light as some do, and also to check not running to hot all the time

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2019, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

United Kingdom

I have scanned with a cheap code scanner and didn't show any codes, also used a Delphi which I used to reset the battery when I fitted a new one and that only showed a code for comfort access rear Ariel, nothing else. I guess when it does it again I can use the scanner to check engine temp and see what that says, maybe it is just something it does sometimes, I wondered if it does it if I try has started a regent of the dpf, but thought it would wait for a longer run and when it had got up to temperature!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 2019, 05:27 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford306 View Post
I have scanned with a cheap code scanner and didn't show any codes, also used a Delphi which I used to reset the battery when I fitted a new one and that only showed a code for comfort access rear Ariel, nothing else. I guess when it does it again I can use the scanner to check engine temp and see what that says, maybe it is just something it does sometimes, I wondered if it does it if I try has started a regent of the dpf, but thought it would wait for a longer run and when it had got up to temperature!
maybe switching it off half way through a regen would make the ecu want to cool it down fast for sure,

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 08:21 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Air con or cooling fan?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 06:55 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

FORD306,
Your car is trying to perform a "re-gen". The fans run to remove excess heat (under bonnet) whilst engine management attempts to clean the DPF. If you notice the fans running when you stop after a short journey it's a good indicator to do a quick motorway journey. When you get home the fans should not be running and this is also a good indicator the "re-gen" has completed.

You should notice an improvement in performance too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in