LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 11th, 2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 02:29 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

England Male

Windscreen replacement nightmare

So discovered a nasty crack/chip thing in the screen. Was very windy overnight, must have blown something quite hard on to the screen to crack it. So got the insuranec involved and windscreen company tried to attend last Friday. However, was told that they need enough space to park side by side, so they can extend the canopy, because it was raining. Didn't have the space, so rebooked for Tuesday. They turn up Tuesday at a different place with plenty of space, only to be told that they have ordered the wrong windscreen and the fact that it has a forward facing camera, needs to be properly calibrated at the workshop. Now have a session this Friday, for up to 4 hours, for them to replace the fricking thing....sighs, the joys of modern tech...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 2019, 09:21 PM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 03:29 AM
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

Scotland

Garage
You think that is bad? Land Rover fits screens made of sugar glass to save weight and get emission values down, problem was always listing all the options on the car with so many screen mounted devices as options - Head up display needed a UV reflective screen, all models had heated front screens as standard in the UK but Autoglass outlets didn’t stock OEM screens but a Chinese make with no heater, then if you had a device to pay road tolls or the garage door opener options you had an area of screen to suit those, auto wipers on needed another square untreated, it seemed an endless list and many people would forget on option and tell the windscreen folks to order in the wrong replacement! I had to have a whole new tailgate on an Evoque when the rear screen exploded one time. The tailgate was made of composite not aluminium or steel and when the glass broke the tailgate was stiffened by the screen and no glass caused it to deform as it’s main strength piece wasn’t there any longer!

Driving along in my automobile
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 02:29 AM
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

England Male

Don't scare me, now worried I'm going to be told tomorrow, after going to all that effort, that they can't do it :P

Then I need to get the wife on the phone and then there will be hell to pay...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in