MINI Cooper Forum banner

R60 FWD S manual with a squeal I can't ID

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  mike1967 
#1 ·
I have a new-to-me 2011 mini cooper countryman s with 145,000kms (around 90k miles?), FWD and manual. I bought it cheap with a "blown clutch" (was actually the the release fork broken) that's now fixed and runs like a dream other than a wonky noise.

On the road it's pretty loud and intrusive - very clearly not normal. It quiets down some under hard acceleration, and goes away entirely when I let off the throttle or push in the clutch - no noise when revving in neutral either.

The noise happens in every gear and is a high pitched squeal that sounds like a bad bearing from somewhere in the front end. There is just the noise though, no shudder - all the way up to 130km/h.

The noise doesn't get much louder with speed, either as the car speeds up or with engine rpms, so I dont think it's a wheel bearing or tire/wheel issue. I jacked the car up and checked for play, nothing at either front corner (now that the car is down and I'm back inside, I should have checked the RH axle support bracket/bearing).

So I'm a bit lost. I've checked the trans fluid and it looked fine - I even drained and refilled to be sure, zero difference. Checked all the other fluids and looked around, only thing I see is that the accessory belt looks a bit gross, but doesnt sound like a belt squeal (and like I said, only happens when in motion).

Any help would be awesome!

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks for the rundown on the belt, I'll look up the procedure - just looking under the hood I can tell it isn't a 15min job like it was in my old volvo.

The clutch was done by the dealer and included the throw out bearing, so I'd hope they inspected before reassembling (and why wouldn't they, they can charge me more money when they find stuff!). Hoping this isnt a problem with the job I just paid for either, but it's crossed my mind (this is why is usually do my own work. Ugh.)

I'll give the driveline check you described a try this weekend when I can get my brother to come over, sounds worth a shot.

Thanks!

#9 ·
Accessory belt replaced, no change in the noise. Happy it's done anyway, since now that it's out I see it's more cracked than I thought, but seems it wasnt the issue for the noise complaint.

Will still try to elevate the car and run through the gears to see if I can replicate the sound and isolate it

#10 ·
Sorry for the long silence, was out of town.

No change in the noise, but did a couple of things. Drained the trans fluid and checked for metal - nada (yay!). I left it to settle a couple days before I poured it and saw a ton of hunks it it, and almost lost it - turns out flies really like trans fluid! Nothing here, but happy it doesn't look like my trans is eating itself.

I also elevated the front wheels and ran it through the gears - can't really reproduce the sound up in the air, sadly. Or happily? Dunno.

I think I may not be describing the sound very well, will try to post a video.

#13 ·
hmm thats a special one, so when found fork broken and gearbox out what parts were replaced, tome is sounds like input area ie flywheel clutch back plate or input shaft on gearbox may of been damaged from before car was driven with bent fork the forces opn that bearing would of been on one side of it now its all straight the bearing could be worn badly one side of it that would be a educated guess from the noise and what its had done,
you could jack car up all 4 wheels on stands and run it up through the gears while someone or you are on out side and be able to use a stethoscope to listen to where the noise is the loudest thats how i would approach it next. would also tak to car park and drive with window down in tight circles and listen for the wheels trying to lock etc, if they do thats a sign the centre diff is faulty of 4x4 mini and also on front wheel drive would test the front diff, ie should be smooth no clicking noises,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.