Buying advise - MINI Cooper Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 2018, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:49 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Buying advise

hi guys I'm looking at getting a mini cooper coupe sd I've found one with fsh 92000 miles all the toys
thing is it is cheaper than any others I can find on the net
going to see it on Saturday is there anything I should be looking for problem wise
picture wise looks immaculate
but is looking to good to be true

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2019, 06:42 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Hi,

I’m also in the same boat. Come on chaps any advice for newbies!!

The one I’m looking at is a 62 reg got 52k on it.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2019, 07:38 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

52k one would be good mileage to buy at, i always say timing chains need to be thought about from 60k on wards as so many do fail. a 92k car needs to have proof of timing chain done, service history is a big one as well. clutch needs to bite 3/4 up and be smooth. the root of all evil on these prince engines is timing chains they stretch and will run when miles out cuasing other issues with cat and 02 sensors,, hence why i say to people 60k is where i change my sons cars at and both are north of 120k now turbo cars both run well still 9k oil changes

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2019, 10:27 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Hi Mike,

Cheers for reply, you saying you,change timing chain at 60k ?? Must cost a fortune!!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2019, 09:50 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeweyMini View Post
Hi Mike,

Cheers for reply, you saying you,change timing chain at 60k ?? Must cost a fortune!!
depends if you take it to a garage or not, chain kits are 200 ish for good brand. most garages it would seem charge 600-900 for the job which is theft i feel. as 4 hours job done thats a lot of mark up and labour charges,

yep at first 60k they had new chain and bottom sprocket and tensioner, at 120k both at full timing chain kit with vanos sprockets that kit costs 225 for a FAI branded . the first change parts were around 100 as only do a partial change its the bottom sprocket and chain that tend to get worn out,
its funny mini bmw and psa are totally aware of this and still use same parts on prince engines except the tensioner was doubled in length around 2010 just to push when it fails more towards the 100k mark, but reality is i have seen just as many 2010-2013 cars as did with the earlier ones just tend to be 10k later maybe.
if your buying from a dealer could say to him will buy it if they change timing chain as your fully aware of these issues. all the dealers are aware of the prince engine,, could argue would save him a load of hassle in the future ie if chain goes south within the 6 months he will be liable under EU law to fix it and that could be destroyed engine.

good tuners/repairs in southwest uk top guys 01579388980
good tuner/ecu body control clones etc lancaster up north uk DALE PHONE NUMBER 07807 222262 top guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in