Mega Mini Meet July 1st 2018 . - MINI Cooper Forum

Mini Events Know of any upcoming events or trying to organize a local meet? Post and let us know about it.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2018, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

Local Time: 11:18 AM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

United Kingdom

Mega Mini Meet July 1st 2018 .

I know its a few months away yet but I was interested to find out if anyone went to last years and if they could recommend it or not , I live locally ( 30 mins away ) and so I will be checking it out ...

link to the fbook page ...
https://www.facebook.com/events/161158957837927

Lemme know if you have been etc as I would love to hear what you thought .

Dall

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2018, 12:28 AM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)

England Male

Looks well attended. Too far for me though. Thanks for putting it up. TBH there doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm on this forum for meets. The MiniTorque dudes in the NW might well be interested.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2018, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK View Post
Looks well attended. Too far for me though. Thanks for putting it up. TBH there doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm on this forum for meets. The MiniTorque dudes in the NW might well be interested.
Yeh I had kinda noticed that there was a slight lack of interest in meets , pfft ...back in the days of my owning my '91 Cooper ( sheesh I am feeling my age now ) I used to do the Riviera Run every year so I can see what you mean about it being a bit far for you I am not sure I could do the run from Blackpool to Newquay again ( although I have been VERY tempted ) .
In regards to MiniTorque I have been dipping my toes into that forum however there does seem to be some ....for want of a better choice of words .."passionate" members on the forum and for me at least the vibe there is not as good as here , but as I said its early days on there for me yet .

In regards to the meet , I will be going and so will take lots of pics to post on here to try and drum up some interest for future events .

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Canada Male

thank you for sharing with us....
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2018, 04:41 PM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 12:18 PM
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

United Kingdom View brassd's Hyper Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

I went two years ago. It had a good selection of cars and clubs, but wasn't what I'd call a large meet.
Thanks for this post from:
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2018, 11:47 PM
MINI2 Master

England Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalliance View Post
In regards to MiniTorque I have been dipping my toes into that forum however there does seem to be some ....for want of a better choice of words .."passionate" members on the forum and for me at least the vibe there is not as good as here , but as I said its early days on there for me yet.
Well spotted. 100% correct and very politely put, if I may say so. I'm on it (not as NigelK) but am extremely cautious as to what I post. But there is some great techy stuff on there - from the more sensible ones.

Choice of words? Rude, ill-mannered, impolite, impatient, abusive, harsh, foul-mouthed, boorish, aggressive, condescending, arrogant, up themselves, keyboard warriors ....... perhaps?
Jackdaniel likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2018, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom

Quote:

Choice of words? Rude, ill-mannered, impolite, impatient, abusive, harsh, foul-mouthed, boorish, aggressive, condescending, arrogant, up themselves, keyboard warriors ....... perhaps?
And then some ! tbh I have been a member of quite a few forums on different subjects and you always tend to get a few people like that but mostly people tend to be helpful ...whereas on minitorque I have to say it seems like they have collected all of them in one place and given them a license to be abusive ....but then again maybe it's because I am 47 and dont have the patience for idiots I used to have
Jackdaniel likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2018, 05:32 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Garage
Not been before but have seen the facebook group; it's sponsored by Lloyd Mini. I will be going as its only just over an hour from me

R50 Mini One in Black - Registered September 2005
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2018, 07:20 PM
MINI2 Senior

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View ExclusiveWorkshops's Classified Ads

Garage
Quote:
Well spotted. 100% correct and very politely put, if I may say so. I'm on it (not as NigelK) but am extremely cautious as to what I post. But there is some great techy stuff on there - from the more sensible ones.

MT'ers won't be into showy and shiny I suspect haha
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2018, 08:25 PM
MINI2 Master

England Male

Is it a showy and shiny kind of meet?

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2018, 05:09 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Sour Mash

Quoted: 342 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
They probably all drive cream Mini Ones in real life.

I’ve been on a few forums for different topics to cars as well and can say for sure there is a strong negative correlation between how aggressive someone is on the internet and what they are like in real life

(I’m the exception I’m a daft idiot in real life as well)
brassd and NigelK like this.

2002 Mini Cooper R50, purchased Nov 2016
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom

Well the Mega Mini Meet is this coming Sunday , and I think I may have gone a little overboard on the spending ...well the car did fly through its MOT last week and as I had been saving for what I thought was going to happen ( it fail the MOT )I decided that the interior and exterior needed a little bit of "lovin" and have bought some new car mats and some smoked rear LED tail lights .

Wish the weather would get a little cooler as I want to give the car a good clean and polish and I aint doing it in this heat !

So will anyone be going this Sunday ??
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jun 26th, 2018, 08:55 PM
MINI2 Senior

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View ExclusiveWorkshops's Classified Ads

Garage
Just clean it at night ;O)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Regular

United Kingdom

Attended the Mega Mini Meet yesterday , have to say that overall it seemed that if you were not in a mini club you were not in with the "in" crowd , I arrived nice and early and was dumped in a corner where hardly anyone looked around . The traders stalls were too spread apart for my liking and were scattered individually around the grounds, where it would have made more sense to have them all together . However I got chatting to some nice people and there were quite a few VERY nice cars at the meet .
A few pics for your perusal ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0918.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	225321   Click image for larger version

Name:	mega mini meet 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	225323   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0910 (1).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	225325   Click image for larger version

Name:	mega mini meet 3.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	225327   Click image for larger version

Name:	mmm 1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	225329  

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 08:40 AM
MINI2 Senior

Local Time: 12:18 PM
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

Scotland

Garage
it sounds like the event organizers took on too big a venue. Here in Scotland we never used to have a Land Rover Show because the companies that run this event thought we would all prefer to travel into Englandshire - a 500 mile round trip away. 3 years ago one event organiser risked running a show at the Royal Highland Show ground near Edinburgh and took a tiny but scenic area of the show ground and were overwhelmed with traders and the public coming along even though it was a very wet weekend. We have just had the 3rd Scottish LR Show and there were more trade stands than ever and more foreign visitors than I have ever seen - Icelandic’s, Norwegians, Swedes, German, Dutch and Italians came in significant numbers with their cars and combined their trip to the show with a holiday in Scotland. As the showground is on many bus and the tram route as well as being near to the end of the motorway network access is dead easy, there is a lot of parking available but it is costly and if you had an older Land Rover there was (until this year when the parking was made secure) risk of your car being stolen from the outfield parking. So maybe a smaller location might suit more trades and event goers.
It must be disappointing for the event organisers to have exhibits and traders widely spaced as it makes the show look like it is poorly supported. A really great location for car shows for those south of Lancaster is the British motor Heritage Centre at Gaydon in Warwickshire - plenty of parking, enough but not too much space to fill and on site camping. For those close to the area between the M40 and M1 another great place for a mega meet is the iconic Ace Cafe on the North Circular around London but you cannot just pitch up there with 100 cars, they have a very packed diary with car and motorbike club meets so you have to book well in advance if you expect large numbers to arrive. I learned that one the hard way - I ran a meet for Range Rover sport owners over their forum and expected about 2 dozen cars to come along as the owners had signed up on the forum..... we left from a well known Land Rover Dealer’s forecourt for a drive out in company down the A40 and back to the Ace...... when we arrived at the Ace the slip road off the North Circular was closed by standing Range Rover Sports everywhere. Because it was a lovely day lots of people decided to come without warning us and we ended up blocking up not just the Ace’s car parks but all the streets in the area too which doesn’t make you too popular with the locals.

Driving along in my automobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in