MINI2 Privilege Member
Administrator

Local Time: 05:08 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny-english View Post
The Abarth is the car I would want to get for my wife to drive (if she wasn't so into roadsters), that way when i HAVE to drive it at least its fun, but wouldn't want to be seen in it as a daily... its very girlie in comparison to a mini. So for me mini all the way.
LOlz, yeah it is funny when people see a 6 ft 290 lb guy get out of a blacked out Abarth.

I get so many questions at the gas station, "Is that electric, how fast does it go, how do you fit in there."

Jeff M

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1010.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	222943   Click image for larger version

Name:	1018.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	222945   Click image for larger version

Name:	1002.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	222947  

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2017, 03:30 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Sour Mash

Local Time: 11:08 AM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
That's a cool looking pocket rocket there

Don't think these cars are considered girly in Europe Johnny I mean fuel being $10 a gallon most go for the smallest they can other day I saw a huge guy in Tesco getting into a while fiat 500 not even an abarth version ! Maybe in America where you can buy like a million gallons of fuel for 1 cent no excuse not to have a pickup truck

AG Jeff likes this.

2002 Mini Cooper R50, purchased Nov 2016
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2017, 05:50 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdaniel View Post
That's a cool looking pocket rocket there

Don't think these cars are considered girly in Europe Johnny I mean fuel being $10 a gallon most go for the smallest they can other day I saw a huge guy in Tesco getting into a while fiat 500 not even an abarth version ! Maybe in America where you can buy like a million gallons of fuel for 1 cent no excuse not to have a pickup truck
the 900cc twin air engine hmmm 900cc two cylinders with a turbo and no inlet cam shaft all runs on oil pressure from the engine oil and the turbo is working flat out all the time,,, what could go wrong with that picture... the twin air part of car is stupid money to replace,, also without fiat software or delphi software it cant be replaced...
so when oil gets dirty it effects the timing for the inlet valves random misfires and the timing that the engine adjusts each and every piston stroke to suit load and temp ect..
i had one last week 20k turbo nailed because we believe the twin air part of the timing failed due to wrong oil or low oil,, fiat when asked for a legend of fueling and timing typical for this car at idle and on load,, to be told no sorry we dont get given this and tend to replace the whole lot when goes faulty.. and any repair to twin air is also a complete replacement well over a grand,,, wonder what the long term will be on these engines but think going by what we have seen so far not good,,,

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Privilege Member
Administrator

Garage
I run her hard and rough, Mobil 1 every 4-5k miles with no issues so far.

Just a CAI and some basic bolt ons.

Jeff M

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
AutoGuide.com
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2017, 07:33 AM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG Jeff View Post
I run her hard and rough, Mobil 1 every 4-5k miles with no issues so far.

Just a CAI and some basic bolt ons.

Jeff M
that is the best way to run them seen a lot of them with misfires and all kinds of faults that clear up up after a engine flush and good oil,, i always get customers to stick half a can of seafoam in oil 100 miles before service it removes all carbon build up that can effect the oil fed inlet valves,, only ever get good feedback from owners,, really is all about the oil in those engines and cooling the turbo down before switch off as it works very hard

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Privilege Member
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1967 View Post
that is the best way to run them seen a lot of them with misfires and all kinds of faults that clear up up after a engine flush and good oil,, i always get customers to stick half a can of seafoam in oil 100 miles before service it removes all carbon build up that can effect the oil fed inlet valves,, only ever get good feedback from owners,, really is all about the oil in those engines and cooling the turbo down before switch off as it works very hard
Yeah I am pretty sure the oil circulating pump runs for a few minutes after shutdown also to help with that.

Jeff M

Jeff aka The Pun
Community Manager
AutoGuide.com
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2017, 07:09 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Sour Mash

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Mike what is your opinion of the "walnut blast" I heard them recommended for small turbocharged engines?

2002 Mini Cooper R50, purchased Nov 2016
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2017, 02:45 PM
MINI2 Master

United Kingdom Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdaniel View Post
Mike what is your opinion of the "walnut blast" I heard them recommended for small turbocharged engines?
for someone who is not mechanically minded and always takes to garage , then its the best way forward but not cheapest way forward,
its mainly the direct injections turbo engine that tend to suffer from it, more so with engines that breath more than others and my own belief its a sign of wear in the timing area ie the over lap on valves has got to big so allows some fuel mix to flow back behind inlet valves just a thought i have had when the norm is time chain stretch and need clean rear of valves off, i remove inlet manifold enough to spray seafoam and little brush it dissolves, also carb clean will do same trick £10 a can can do 20 engines with it,,, also i have used seafoam inlet spray while engine running and dose it up leave if to soak then next day give it good run worth doing it every service it dose keep carbon under control,,, what i never do is just poor seafoam in the breath pipes of any car,, always a control amount let it smoke white switch it off let it soak,, like anything if do it right and with some common sense its fine,, seen one fool poor it into the air intake on a diesel is bent the conrods as liquid dont compress,,, diesel engine only way is in oil and in fuel filter or pipework for neat dose or fuel tank for a clean out over some miles,,, seen a lot of piezo injectors show up faulty on a scan after cleaned with seafoam reading same within 5%...
modern engines are by design collecting carbons in oil and exhaust to meet laws on what they can put out into the world at the cost of reliability in many cases it would seem.
Jackdaniel likes this.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2017, 09:18 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

United States Female

MINI Cooper over Fiat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in