Child seats in the back of the Clubman?! - MINI Cooper Forum
MINIs, Children & Parents MINI as part of your family - For buggy, car seat and other child & baby related topics

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 No.1

Local Time: 06:41 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

England Male

Send a message via Skype™ to Paul
Child seats in the back of the Clubman?!

I have a Clubman on my driveway since this morning, and so far I'm unimpressed.

Can anyone tell me how they manage to get car seats in the back, especially if you get TWO car seats in the back (this example has the "bench" with three rear seat places)?

We have a couple of seats, and I have to say so far it seems like the hardest MINI I've yet encountered to get car seats into!

Seats are a Maxi-Cosi Rodi XP and Cabrio.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 01:41 PM
Lord of The Four Rings

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View Shamster's Pepper White & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Convertible Profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I have a Clubman on my driveway since this morning, and so far I'm unimpressed.

Can anyone tell me how they manage to get car seats in the back, especially if you get TWO car seats in the back (this example has the "bench" with three rear seat places)?

We have a couple of seats, and I have to say so far it seems like the hardest MINI I've yet encountered to get car seats into!

Seats are a Maxi-Cosi Rodi XP and Cabrio.

I tried getting the kids in the Clubman at Woodmans at the weekend. I only had to use one booster seat and that was a challenge.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Grumpometer: OFF SCALE

Local Time: 05:41 AM

United Kingdom Male View simeds's Classified Ads

Send a message via MSN to simeds
i can get one Britax booster in the back, but not two, luckily my eldest is tall enough not to need one now.
Probably find only the MINI ones will fit

UPUBMNJOJ.DPN

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 No.1

England Male

The Rodi is a sort of booster seat with bells on (not literally, that would be annoying) and I've found the "comfort base" isn't compatible with the Clubman seat backs, so I'm checking if it can be fitted without it (sure it can, because they do an SPS which doesn't have the base included). But even with this removed it's REALLY tight to get the belt around the seat base because they're all crammed together to make the rear big enough for three seats and their anchorages!

The ISOFIX we're using for Amabels also seem pretty high in the seat back, and the angle of the seat was tricky, but it seems OK, but still a real squeeze (rear facing seat), not as much extra room as I had hoped for that's for sure.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 No.1

England Male

Grrrr. Not happy with the Clubman so far, it's a REAL struggle to get Alfie's seat to do up at all.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 08:13 PM
MINI2 Newbie

United Kingdom

Have a mamas and papas seat (the next stage from the cabrio) and the cabrio isofix in the back with no problems at all (M&P is quite often used in another car and is easy to take out and put back).
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 No.1

England Male

The ISOFIX baby seat goes in OK, but the seat belt anchorages are too close together in the back for Alfie's Rodi XP.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
MINI2 Regular

Norway View Morro's Chili Red & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Clubman Profile

"...so far it seems like the hardest MINI I've yet encountered to get car seats into..."

Paul, if you keep the clubdoor closed it should be just as easy as with the three door, maybe even easier, since there is more room, door opening is the same.

I have no idea why anyone order the three seat backseat. There is only room for two, the back is just cluttered up with seatbelts and headrests.

What made you think it was a practical car?
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 No.1

England Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morro View Post
What made you think it was a practical car?
Did I say I thought it was practical?

It's annoying that this 'bigger' MINI is LESS practical so far for our purposes than the hatch, I wondered what others were using or had found, if they shared our experience and what solutions they used.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:02 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Big Grin...

United Kingdom Male View rhardaker's Classified Ads

Send a message via MSN to rhardaker
I had a clubman as a courtesy car recently and I found it was very difficult to get booster seats fitted properly. The trouble is that the bits where the seatbelts clip into have had to be moved further apart to accomodate a central person. This now means the width of each outer seat is quite narrow - my booster seats actually squashed the seatbelt clips and made the seats not sit very well and it was very difficult to clip the belt in - espcially with the weight of a child on the booster. Well worth considering what you expect to fit in the back before assuming you can get seats in with no problems.

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 No.1

England Male

Exactly our experience (once we found it was OK to remove the "comfort base", which is just completely incompatible). Alfie has been promoted to the front seat for a while, at least his booster/seat fits properly, and he loves it up front.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2008, 02:48 PM
ukmini*****

United Kingdom Male

Send a message via MSN to Darren Briggs
Have a 3 seat bench, i use Isofix for our Maxi Cosi front facing seat (cant recall the name of the seat) But it fits no problem, and getting my daughter in and out is no hassle and far easier than when it was in our R53 S. The clubdoor is great for access. Woudl think having two seat car seats would not be a issue either.
I can understand the issues with the seat belt fastners being less far apart on the 3 seat. But the do pull out of the seat to give you a fair bit of play. I have sat in the back and found the seat belt to work fine with no hassle, and I am not built like a twig

In a nut shell for car seats and buggies, the Clubman is far better than the R56 etc. Cant wait to go camping this year without having the rear seat full of stuff. All the tent, sleeping bags, cooker, gas and cloths fit in the boot Yes it restricts rear view, but thats no hassle, wing mirrors are usefull tools.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 2008, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 No.1

England Male

Still finding it a struggle, but less so as we have found a "knack" to getting the belt in place.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 26th, 2008, 02:14 AM
mellow yellow clubman d

Scotland Male View mellowyellowman's Mellow Yellow & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Diesel Clubman Profile

we had britax child seats originally until we bought our first R53 cooper,that was when we had problems getting them to fit and buckle up, in the end i bought two bmw/mini isofix junior seats and they have fitted without any problems buckling up in a cooper s convertible, R56 hatch and now we have the dooper clubman with the 3 seat bench and they still fit perfect and are very easy to buckle up,.
hope this helps if anyone is considering buying car seats.

iain
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2008, 12:37 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 07:41 AM

Netherlands

I have a clubman since two weeks now. Great car, enjoy the ride, _much_ better than the citroen C4 i had on loen between my old cooper and the new clubman.
Anywasy, regarding the seat: my one-year-old sits in a Kiddy Life Pro, a German car seat that received top ratings in ADAC and ÷AMTC tests. No isofix, but since our golf does not have that either we choose this one. It's a class I/II/III seat, so she can sit in it until she's 36 kg. Installation is easy, seats fits perfectly well in the back (tried that when we test drove the car).

Main advantage of the clubman over the hatch is that the stroller fits in the back without having to take it appart every time you use is. We have a buggaboo cameleon, which easily fits in the boot of the clubman.

cheers and have fun with the car

The driving is great fun, even in the traffic jam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: , , ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in