Jackman Memorial - Page 2 - MINI Cooper Forum

New York & New England Region For meeting people,arranging events/activities and discussing issues in your local area!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 06:53 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

United States Female View ontheroadagain's Pure Silver & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Clubman Profile

For those of you who know Scott aka "hershmini" who played with Jackman in their band, I offered to post the information about the upcoming services and am going to quote his post on NEMINI here:
Quote:
It is both comforting and difficult to read all your kind words. I played with Jackman on Saturday night. Like always, we went out after the gig to debrief. We talked about the band, life, people, MINI's and the future. We were scheduled to play again on Sunday, a belated birthday bash. Ironically the original gig was cancelled due to the untimely death of John's cousin. He was my compadre and my sense of loss is balanced somewhat by the knowledge that I was fortunate to have known him. I thank this board and this community for introducing us.

Final arrangements have been made. There will be a wake on Wednesday from 7-9 and Thursday from 4-8 at the Hawthorne funeral home 914 769-4404.

The Funeral service will be Friday at 10 am at Holy Name church in Valhalla.

Bring em out, shine em up and fill the parking lot. I'm sure that's what the Jackman would have wanted.

Scott
I plan to attend the funeral on Friday. Here is a link for information about the chuch location: http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=...state1=form:to...

And to the wake at the Hawthorne Funeral Home:http://www.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en...state1=form:to

First love: MC CVT Indi Blue/White '04
Past MINI: MC CVT PW/Black '06
Present MINI: MCCa Pure Silver/BLK '09 w/roof rails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:15 AM
OSMC Ogre

United States

My condolences, The old adage holds true.

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:28 AM
MINI2 Newbie

United States

A Note About A Friend

Hi All,

Please forgive me, for I am not a part of your Mini community. I was however a friend of John and I would like to share my thoughts on his passing. Please indulge me. I needed to do this. Thanks.

I remember the first time I ever saw John Joseph Jasksen Jr.. It was at the annual Kensico Little League, end of the season awards and barbeque. I saw this guy with a million dollar smile, the good looks of a movie star and wearing a pair of Hollywood sunglasses.

He's standing behind a microphone and as anyone who knew John could tell you, that was a place he liked to be, behind a microphone performing.

Anyway, he's going on and on about his team. Telling each and every kid on the team something to make them feel like the MVP or an All Star of the league. One by one they collected their trophies, with their heads up high and proud.

Needless to say I was quite impressed and a little disappointed that my son wasn't on that team.

It was only last September when I met John in earnest. He was now the coach of my son's team. He brought the same qualities to coaching soccer as he did baseball. He was a teacher and a mentor. He treated the kids with respect. Most importantly, he exuded tremendous energy and provided nothing but encouragement. He was having a ball coaching these kids and all he wanted was for them to feel the same way.

When the soccer season gave way to CYO basketball, John who was usually involved in everything, was sitting in the stands as a spectator, watching Jeannie coach their son Justin, on the basketball team.

Although I didn't know John well at the time, I know he was wishing he could be on the court coaching his son. I don't think John particularly liked being a spectator, he was more into getting involved, but like everything else he did, be it playing, coaching or now rooting for his son. No one rooted or cheered harder or louder
than John Joseph Jacksen Jr..

It was during these basketball games that I really got to know John. We would engage in the prerequisite small talk. He was very easy to talk to and a good thing for me, he did most of the talking. He was an interesting fellow. We found that we were both from the Bronx, from Irish ancestry and had a mutual love of music. Especially older music. I think from there on, at least from my point of view, we became fast friends. I looked forward to seeing him and talking to him.

Late last December, some of us went to a little shack of a bar in Rye to see "The Jackman" perform with his band The Cadillac Daddy's. Before the show John confessed that he had no voice. It was shot. The show begins and John is up there singing at the top of his lungs. Did he hit every note? No. But you can't say he didn't try. He gave it his all. He played four sets and he loved every minute of it.

In between one of the sets, John approaches me and shows me his electric guitar. Next to Justin and Jeannie, I imagine that would be John's greatest love. He tells me all about it. He proceeds to present it to me and asks me to hold it for him. As I am holding it, scared to death because I don't want to drop it or damage it in any way, he grabs an acoustic guitar, sits right down next to me and John knowing how much of a Beatles fan I am, sings two of their songs.

Wow!!!

One of the things I loved about him was it was so easy to be friends with him. I suspect a lot of people who knew him felt the same way. He had a way of making you feel like you knew him your whole life. He always made you feel special. When he would see you, he would come over to greet you with a warm smile on his face that was accompanied by either a hearty handshake or a meaningful hug or most times both.

This past spring, I was an assistant coach to John for his baseball team, the Dodgers. He was very excited to be managing again. For us this was like the big leagues.

John really got into it. He brought the same energy and intensity that he always did. We had a great bunch of kids , who always gave it their all. I think they learned that from their manager.

We finished in second place and just two weeks ago bowed out in the playoffs. As fate would have it, Justin made the last out of the game and he was understandably upset. I just remember seeing John rush out towards home plate and hugging his son to comfort him.

John was a very talented man who accomplished so much in his too short of a life. His greatest accomplishment was his family and nothing in this world was more important to him than his son, Justin.

I didn't know him very long and I didn't know him as well as I would have liked.

I do know he was a great friend but even more importantly he was a great husband and a great father.

I will miss him terribly.

Rest in peace, dear friend.

post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2006, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Pirates in my ear

Local Time: 05:53 PM

United States Female View NoNo's Velvet Red & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Send a message via AIM to NoNo
Thanks so much for sharing with us. You are always welcome here.

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2006, 01:15 AM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:53 PM

United States

Thanks for sharing your great story. He did share with us about his coaching days when he couldn't attend a MINI Event. That's what I mostly enjoyed about JACKMAN, his awesome smile, his good looks, his fantastic personality, the way he always greated you with a big bear hug and kiss. But what really impressed me, was the love he showed for his wife and son was so truly awesome in this day and age.
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Master

United States Female View ontheroadagain's Pure Silver & Black 2nd Gen MINI Cooper Clubman Profile

Thank you Jockomac - your story is a lovely snapshot that tells so much.

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Master

Tunisia

I said, over at NEMINI, that it seems to me that many of those we watch who live life so fully and with so much zest leave us far too early.

And we are left, not with a void as much as with a book of memories. But for family, those who lived with, loved, and depended upon this terrific guy, the burden is unfathomable. Didn't know Jackman well, met him at a run in CT and at Ed's services but I do recall the smile and high spirits and I'll remember them. I just can't imagine the pain of those closest to him. This car cult of ours has a reputation of being supportive. I'm sure it will be evident once again.

Lawdy, Lawdy, the Cross I bear.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
QQJ's Social Secretary

United Nations View yellowmininy's Liquid Yellow & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Very nice tribute, Jockomac. Welcome to MINI2! My condolences to you & to all who knew him, he seemed to be a shining star in everything he did.

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Expecting rain...

United States View hwy61's Pure Silver & Black 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

candles lit for Jackman, a loss for everyone.

How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all ?
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Master of the Dark Arts..

United States Male View UberFisch's Electric Blue & White 1st Gen MINI Cooper S Profile

Send a message via AIM to UberFisch
Thank you, Mart, for pointing this thread out to me. I am very sorry to all of Jackman's freinds and family for the horrible loss. My thoughts are with you all. Unfortunately, as I am new to MINI (January), I was not fortunate enough to meet either Ed or Jackman... Thanks again Mart, I greatly look forward to meeting you.

From the dark side of VWAG...

'03 MCS EB/W Milltek Cat-Back, Dinan CAI, Dinan Software, Rear Seat and Belts removed
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
MINI2 Master

Jackman's obituary is in today's Journal News: Jacksen, John Joseph Jr., "Jackman". I'm going to quote the whole thing as hyperlinks don't last forever.

Quote:
John Joseph Jacksen, Jr., “Jackman“ Axe, Vox, Poet of Valhalla, NY, died suddenly at 44 on June 25, 2006.

Iona College graduate. Dedicated father of Justin, beloved husband of Jean, wonderful son of Pat and Jack Jacksen, loving brother of Pamela Kaldas, son-inlaw of Anne Weber, grandson-in-law of Margaret Smith. Leaves behind aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cous ins, brother-in-laws, sister-in-laws, friends too many to mention.

John was an avid musi cian and motorcycle and MINI Cooper enthusiast. He enjoyed playing in his rockabilly band, the Cadillac Daddys. He was a dedicated soccer and little league Coach.

John had an incredible zest for life and brought joy and happiness to all he touched. He will be missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing him.

Reposing Hawthorne Funeral Home, Hawthorne, NY, Wednesday, 7 to 9 PM, Thursday 4 to 8 PM. Funeral Mass 10:00 AM Friday, Holy Name of Jesus Church, Valhalla, NY. Interment Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Hawthorne, NY.

In lieu of flowers, do nations to American Heart Association, 3020 Westchester Avenue, Purchase, NY 10577 or Holy Name of Jesus Church, Valhalla, NY 10595.

HAWTHORNE FUNERAL HOME 21 Stevens Avenue Hawthorne (914) 769-4404 Send condolences at www.hawthornefuneralho me.com

post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:55 PM
MINI2 Regular

United States

Minis in Heaven

Much of my Dad's wake was a blur - after hugging hundreds of people, you seem to lose track of who was there and who wasn't. I will not, however, forget meeting JackMan at the wake. He approached my brothers and I with tearful eyes, showing a stack of pictures that catalogued his adventures with my Dad. I remember how red his eyes were from crying, and how passionately he seemed to think none of it made sense.

I can't imagine how Jackman's life would have been different if he had known he would only be here for another year. I think about how our lives would have changed if we had known my Dad would be leaving last July. If only I hadn't been at the stupid gym when my Dad dropped by my apartment for his last visit. If only I had acted on my whim to drop by the house and leave him a little note to let him know I love him.

I like to think that Jackman, like my Dad, wouldn't have lived his last year any differently. They both seemed to already know how to embrace life and treasure everyday. I like to think that we've all learned a lesson on the importance of relationships, going out of your way to touch someone, to be funny, or to experience a new adventure. I know I did more growing in the past year, than in all of my 25 years prior. I learned how to relax, how to say I love you (to more than just my husband), how to create unforgettable experiences and memories, and certainly, in honor of MaxaMini's legend, how to make people think I'm just a little bit weirder than most people.

Everyday does not really get a little easier. I still cry when I write about my Dad, think about him or talk about him. But, I don't feel a hole in my heart. Instead, that hole has been filled with all the things I do that will make my Dad laugh, smile and be proud.

There is no doubt in my mind that we will all meet again in a much better place. I always thought my Dad wanted to get to heaven before us, so he could build us the perfect house, in a perfect place. Now, I think his plan included creating the perfect Mini club in heaven, too.

I hope Jackman's family knows how much they are loved and thought of.

Love, Kate
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Has met Quack Quack Jack
Pirates in my ear

United States Female View NoNo's Velvet Red & Body Color 1st Gen MINI Cooper Profile

Send a message via AIM to NoNo
That was beautiful, Kate. I'm trying not to cry at my desk. Your dad's passing hit Jackman hard, and if anything, he became even more devoted to his family. I have to think that the two of them are just having a blast right now and someday we'll be able to laugh with them again.

post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2006, 11:57 PM
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 03:53 PM

United States

Very beautiful. I remember how upset Jackman was because when your father called to talk to him, he told him he didn't have the time to talk and he would call him back, but he
never got the chance to speak with him again. I believe they are having an awesome
time together and I could picture them causing a lot of commotion up there in Heaven.

Renata
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Has met Quack Quack Jack
I Just Can't Get Enough

Local Time: 11:53 PM

United Kingdom

wonderful words Kate

My condolances to his family and everyone who knew him, i never spoke to him but have of course seen him about, having read the posts here and on NEMINI i can see he was another who was taken from us too soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags: ,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in