JohnnyC's R53 - Page 3 - MINI Cooper Forum
Photos, Photoshops, Videos & Showcases Show off your MINI, or other MINIs you've taken photos and videos of in this forum, with no image posting restrictions

44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #31 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

Local Time: 05:41 PM
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male View JohnnyC's Classified Ads

Some pics in the sunshine

Oakleyguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2017, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

Car got it's first 'official' service in my ownership, at 1320.

On the dyno it achieved 175whp (190-200bhp?), but it also showed that it wasn't fueling correctly at a certain rev range.
Likely causes: fuel filter (unlikely as this has been changed), fuel pump, or fuel pressure regulator.

So I got a new fuel pump and followed this guide:
MINI Cooper Fuel Pump and Filter Replacement (R50/R52/R53 2001-2006) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

New fuel pump (and filter, which I'll change next week sometime, last changed just over 2 years ago)

Old pump

Fuel lines and sender connection

New pump ready to go in

Almost done. One thing I did different to the Pelican guide was to install the gasket around the top of the tank then slide the top of the pump into it, as I found it next to impossible for it to fit into the top of the tank with the gasket around the top of the pump

I'm 99% certain that the slight hesitation under hard acceleration has gone, this is what showed up on 1320's dyno.
In fact car seems to accelerate better now (although that could all be in the mind )

And, the new fuel pump has a faulty fuel level sender!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Refitted original pump (fuel guage now working again).
Put new pump back in it's box and took it back to BMW.
BMW told me "we can't replace it or refund you, unless we know ourselves it's faulty" - so they forced me to refit it to my car!!
BMW made me sign something that said if they find the fuel pump isn't faulty I will have to pay their extortionate labour costs!!!
BMW tell me that both my fuel level senders are faulty (lies), and the guy is about to charge me for this diagnosis, until I point out that the fuel level sender is part of the new fuel pump they sold me. He then agrees that the part they sold me is faulty, but...
BMW tell me that even though the part they sold me is faulty, they can't give me a replacement pump, unless.... they fit it themselves (WTF!!!). I am forced to allow them to work on my car (which I really don't like, I've had MANY problems with dealerships in the past).
BMW kindly take it upon themselves to wash my car, and leave traffic film remover on the black textured paint on my Aero bumpers (this is why I don't use dealerships, they can't even wash cars properly).
Takes BMW THREE attempts to sort out my Aero bumpers.

post #33 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

After coming out of the cinema at 10:30pm, the car fails to start. Everything normal with the key in except for the last position on the ignition - just nothing happens.
Tried with the spare key, to see if it was the transponder, no luck

Replaced the battery, the easiest fix. Even though I knew it wasn't a failed battery, but it was 10 years old so best to replace anyway.

Figured it'd be either the ignition switch or starter motor.
Really didn't want it to be the starter motor as that's a pig of a job, so paid £66 for a brand new ignition switch

Started first time, happy days
Shame about the shoddy BMW components.

post #34 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

Also changed the fuel pressure regulator

Was at Shakespeare County Raceway at the weekend (July 2015), did a few runs.
I've done plenty of 1/4 mile runs before, but this is my first time in a FWD car.
First couple of runs, my starts were appalling Did a decent run against an R53 facelift JCW, but I started too soon so time not recorded, he got 15.2 so I'd guess I got 15.3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56YgJXBbVb8
post #35 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

Had some sh*ts break into the car and steal my Blackvue dashcam

You'd never even notice it unless you were looking for it (in front of the rear view mirror)

Only close up can you see it (the silver ring around the lens is a ****ing big mistake, I've noticed newer Blackvues don't have this so they've realised it was a problem)

£80 excess for glass on my car insurance + £250 dashcam.
And the little ****ing ***** will be lucky to get £50 for it.

They folded the wing mirror in, which doesn't make sense as it doesn't get in the way of reaching inside, so I actually suspect they were initially after my wing mirrors but then noticed I have security bolts on them.
https://www.aol.co.uk/cars/2013/01/2...-mirror-theft/

In case this happens to anyone else, a genuine Mini passenger door window is...

£56 (including VAT)

Damn, I paid the £80 excess because I was expecting around £150-£250. Last car window I had replaced cost the insurer £650 for a genuine Mitsubishi one after the **** pattern part didn't fit.

Mind you, I'll happily do lots of work on my car, but Windows and the adjustments I won't dare touch myself!!

Now I'm ****ed off because I have one window with "MINI" written on it and the other with "FY", my OCD is going mental
post #36 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2017, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

A little drive around the Lake District with a bunch of FTOs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ7i4IULqP4

Latest addition to the car...
post #37 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2017, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

Had a minor knocking noise from the rear for a while.
Sounded like what you'd expect the parcel shelf to sound like banging about, but driving without a parcel shelf and the noise continued.
Narrowed it down by being a passenger in the rear, seemed to come from passenger side rear wheel arch.

Put new shock absorbers, spring cups etc 3 years ago, droplinks and rear ARB bushes 2 years ago.
One thing I didn't change were the bushes on top and below the rear top mounts. Due to not seeing them on realoem when I was gathering parts. Turns out this is due to them only being sold with the rear top mounts!!

So got some aftermarket KYB bushes, installed them today...

New bushes waiting to go in

New bushes installed

Around 5mm difference in thickness with the lower bushes. Don't know if this is just because it's an aftermarket part, or whether my old bushes really were flattened!!

Due to the size difference between old and new I definitely wasn't going to do just the noisey side
Anyway, I'm very pleased, knocking has gone
post #38 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2017, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

Rear wiper wasn't working as well as it should, even with a new blade.
Figured the spring tension wasn't quite what it was after 11 years.

New bits

Removing the old nut wasn't difficult, but there's a metal collar inside the hole of the wiper arm that stuck itself to the wiper spline, had to be Dremmel'd off

Even replaced the rubber grommet in the screen for good measure

Car was last serviced 10 months ago at 1320, I've only done 5,000 miles since then. But the car says I've another 11,000 miles until the next oil service... Really BMW???? that'd end up THREE YEARS between oil changes!!!!!!!!!
So, another oil change, I think this is the 4th or 5th I've done myself between stamps in the book

And here's pics of my 'unsnappable' dipstick from ebay (£15.99). I'm going to be chucking my CravenSpeed one away, it's **** that it over-reads.

Also changed fuel filter again, 3 and a half years and 22,000 miles later, and having only been run on Shell Optimax/Nitro/V-Power...
post #39 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2017, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

Installing the spotlights

Destroying the Aero grille

Brackets fitted after drilling holes in bonnet!!

Time has come again to change the microfilter.
Third time I've changed it in my ownership, so rather than pay £40 each time for an OEM one, I've got one from fleabay for £16.

Eventually got round to wiring up the spotlights.
Ditched the OEM loom, pain to route it to the BCM.
Also aligned the lights too according to the BMW instructions.
post #40 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

More problems!
Started getting intermittent P0340 fault code triggering. Mostly when starting the car.

So got a new camshaft position sensor.
Would've took 30 seconds to install if BMW had designed the engine mount bracket to accommodate access to the sensor bolt.
So engine needed supporting and engine mount bracket needed to be removed

But a pretty easy job

post #41 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

One of the last visual modifications I've wanted to do is window tints.

Decided upon sun blinds though after seeing some in various threads about tints.
And the beauty is, they're about half the price of tints (although someone always knows a Dave that can do proper tints for £30), and can be removed and/or sold later on

Before

After

From the inside

I've removed the rear one now though, as I have a rear facing dashcam, and being so close to the blind meant it couldn't see!!!
post #42 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

Expensive month.
Insurance due, road tax due and two new tyres put on, Continental Sport Contact 5.

Put the rear tyres onto the front, so the new tyres go onto the rear

Got some new centre caps as my old ones are bubbling

Put the new centre caps on, wheels had to be removed!!!!
The old ones were genuine Mini was, as are the new ones.
post #43 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

More expense...
Some 2nd hand JCW R112 Cross Spoke Challenge wheels, in immaculate condition.

Expensive, but they have almost new Continental Sport Contact 5's on them. Only thing I'm annoyed at is I bought 2 brand new Continental Sport Contact 5's three weeks ago for the impending MOT.
They also have centre caps in very good condition, and I just bought new ones a couple of weeks ago too!!!

Before

After

R91 Bullets came in at 19.2KG (with Continental Sport Contact 5's with 6mm tread).
R112 Challenges came in at 17.7KG (with Continental Sport Contact 5's with 6mm tread).
post #44 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2017, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

Couple of pics from the weekend.
Although I should have made a bigger effort for photos in the Lake District.

Parking in Leeds, away from every other car, keeping it dent free

Lake District
post #45 of 129 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2017, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Master

14th November (2016)
Had to use the car last week due to a bus strike, 15 mile journey into work was perfect.
Half a mile into the journey home and the temperature needle goes up, pull over, let car cool down, check coolant and the tank is very very low. Front bumper was wet underneath.
No steam, no noise, no loss of power (although I was driving in traffic).

Was going to get the missus to bring the coolant I have in the garage at home. But as it happened all of a sudden I figured it'd just all escape again, so...

Can't do anything until weekend.

20th November
Radiator now off...

All pipes looked dry, no obvious signs of a leak, just the very bottom of the radiator was wet.

21st November
Order a new radiator.
Also noticed a 'dent' on the hose that runs from the top of the radiator to the thermostat, it wasn't punctured but didn't want to go to the trouble of putting a new radiator on then have this hose rupture in a years time.

24th November
Collected new hose from local dealership.

New radiator also arrived, I slotted the old fan onto it, didn't fit radiator as I'll need access to be able to fit the hose to the thermostat.

As the hose runs to the thermostat, thought it about time I fitted the one I bought 2 years ago

Upon planning removal of the thermostat, I saw the manifold air pressure sensor only held on by one bolt, other was sheared (thermostat must have been changed prior to my ownership), and the bolt is rusted on that it's never going to come out.

25th November
Order a new bracket, plan on using a Dremmel to remove sensor bolt.

26th November
Remove all the gubbins needed to access the thermostat.

Take the opportunity to clean the Dave F again.

27th November
Fit new hose and thermostat (without torquing up the bolts as I don't have the new bracket yet - I'm told it'll take a week to get from Germany, how a whole week? by horse?).

28th November
Attempt to Dremmel the sensor bolt results in part of it breaking off. Now that thermostat hose is in place I can finally fit the radiator.

29th November
Order a new manifold air pressure sensor. The old one would probably be fine with just one bolt (as it had been for years!!) but I may as well do the job properly

3rd December
New sensor arrives and I collect the new bracket....happy days in sight at last...

New sensor & bracket (& bolts) fitted.

It started to get dark at this point, so I just fill up with coolant and leave the bleeding until tomorrow when light.
But, after an hour or so I come back to coolant dripping on the floor from the offside bottom of the radiator, upon closer inspection it's leaking from the top, but the rear (where the hose connects) is completely dry.

I also bought new radiator rubber feet and the foam that sits on the top and bottom - turns out that these come with the radiator anyway

NOT HAPPY!!!
Brand new expensive oem radiator and it's leaking. This is the second time a brand new BMW/MINI part has been faulty immediately, not impressed!!!
And, just like the fuel pump, my local BMW/MINI are being a pain.
Although the radiator was bought online from Cotswold, it can be took back and replaced by any dealership....except....just like the fuel pump, they refuse to do so unless they see the part FITTED to my car.
I offer to bring the radiator to them and pour a jug of water in it and they can watch it leak out, but no.
I explain that I can't drive the car to them.
I ask if they'll cover the cost of getting the car towed to them and the radiator is deemed to be faulty....no.

Once again, consumer law simply does not apply when dealing with BMW/MINI dealerships!!!!!

In the end, eventually, Cotswold send out a replacement

11th December
Replacement radiator arrives, fit it...no leaks, car is back on the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in