Lawrence1584's Dark Silver R53 - MINI Cooper Forum

Photos, Photoshops, Videos & Showcases Show off your MINI, or other MINIs you've taken photos and videos of in this forum, with no image posting restrictions

11Likes
  • 1 Post By PLawrence1584
  • 4 Post By PLawrence1584
  • 1 Post By Jackdaniel
  • 1 Post By Jackdaniel
  • 1 Post By NigelK

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Local Time: 11:36 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Lawrence1584's Dark Silver R53

I've owned my mini for 6 years so thought it was time I started a thread. I bought it back in 2012 with 64k on the clock. I started to do little bits but then lost interest. After a couple of years I've rediscovered my enjoyment for the mini and ready to continue this project.

As it stands;

2003 pre face lift
96k miles
Chilli pack
R112 JCW alloy wheels
Pirelli P-Zero tyres
Orranje stealth CAI
Airtec top mount intercooler
Direnza stainless steel exhaust
JCW Aero side skirts
JCW carbon & leather gear knob
JCW carbon & leather handbrake grip
JCW door entry strips
Downtubes, gaiters and door armrests retrimmed in dark grey alcantara with red stitching
3 facelift 3 spoke steering wheel re-trimmed in dark grey alcantara with red stitching
Cades grille
Gloss black S scuttles with red 3D S
Mini sport aerial
Led sidelights, side repeaters and number plate bulbs
Face lift door cards to match colour of dashboard

To do;

JCW Aero front bumper (purchased)
GP lower bumper trim (purchased)
GP bumper inserts
Led rear lights
Orranje G-wing
Orranje scorpion 4-2-1 manifold
Coilovers
GTT strut brace
17% reduced pulley
Uprated crank and alternator pulleys
Larger injectors
Catcams
Remap
Top dash & door cards re-trimmed in alcantara with red stitching
JCW sparco/Recaro seats
Ultragauge 2

It's not looking too exciting at the moment but best bits to come when money is available =)

When I purchased it :

As it stands now :

Milpol likes this.

Last edited by PLawrence1584; Oct 29th, 2018 at 05:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2017, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Update : After years of wanting some Aero side skirts, but never buying any I finally purchased some.

As they arrived 2nd hand :

At the paint shop :

Fitted, so happy with the result =)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2017, 06:30 PM
MINI2 Master

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)

England Male

Nice one Lawrence. Looking good, pretty sorted. Whereabouts are you?

I have hummed and harred as to which coils to go for for about 9 months. Such a variation in price, ride quality, handling and opinions. In fact today I've just paid for (but not collected) a set of used ST XTAs from a guy on MiniTorque I know. Sort of made my mind up for me to an extent as STs and KWs were on my short list and got a decent price.

What are you going to get? Any preferences? What sort of price range you up for?

On the wheel front I recently found a set of silver Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 alloys, used. Had them painted in Black Chrome. Mainly I wanted to ditch the S-Spokes because they are so heavy - 11.4kgs each. The TDs weigh about 8kgs. Surprised the extent you can feel the difference.

Expensive day today. I've also just agreed to buy a used set of the JCW Sparco front seats, black leather. Guy is delivering them tomorrow.

Keep us updated.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 2017, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK View Post
Nice one Lawrence. Looking good, pretty sorted. Whereabouts are you?

I have hummed and harred as to which coils to go for for about 9 months. Such a variation in price, ride quality, handling and opinions. In fact today I've just paid for (but not collected) a set of used ST XTAs from a guy on MiniTorque I know. Sort of made my mind up for me to an extent as STs and KWs were on my short list and got a decent price.

What are you going to get? Any preferences? What sort of price range you up for?

On the wheel front I recently found a set of silver Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 alloys, used. Had them painted in Black Chrome. Mainly I wanted to ditch the S-Spokes because they are so heavy - 11.4kgs each. The TDs weigh about 8kgs. Surprised the extent you can feel the difference.

Expensive day today. I've also just agreed to buy a used set of the JCW Sparco front seats, black leather. Guy is delivering them tomorrow.

Keep us updated.

Hello buddy. Thank you, it's getting there slowly. I'm not too far from Plymouth in the southwest. I've never looked into coilovers so I don't know the first thing about them.

I never really planned for a lot to happen at the same time. Originally I just wanted the side skirts done at the moment but after trying to get some alcantara gaiters from MINI, the salesman told me about a local trimmers. So I've had my downtubes, door armrests and gaiters retrimmed in dark grey alcantara with red stitching. Haven't fitted them yet. Then I got so annoyed why my S-spokes as they were really badly refurbished. The paint is so soft when I got new tyres it all came off around the edge and looks like I've kerbed them. So Ive purchased a new set of gloss black R112's. Just waiting for new bolts and centre caps.

I've now sorted a JCW front bumper to buy in the next month. They seem to be very rare with not many coming up for sale. Then it's saving to get it painted. After that I'm looking at fitting the GP rear bumper lower trim and inserts, G-wing, then coilovers.

What spec is your car?? Sounds like you have bought a fair few things at once too =) Id love those seats you'll have to post some pics. I do the like the TD wheels and black chrome sounds awesome =)

Do you have a progress thread??
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2017, 05:29 PM
MINI2 Privilege Member Has met Quack Quack Jack
Sour Mash

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)

United Kingdom Male

Garage
The 2 colour scheme looks awesome

I reckon it would look good if you went all the way and blackened the door handles headlight trim bottom window surround etc
PLawrence1584 likes this.

2002 Mini Cooper R50, purchased Nov 2016
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2017, 10:36 PM
MINI2 Master

England Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLawrence1584 View Post
Then I got so annoyed why my S-spokes as they were really badly refurbished. The paint is so soft when I got new tyres it all came off around the edge and looks like I've kerbed them. So Ive purchased a new set of gloss black R112's. Just waiting for new bolts and centre caps.

I've now sorted a JCW front bumper to buy in the next month. They seem to be very rare with not many coming up for sale. Then it's saving to get it painted. After that I'm looking at fitting the GP rear bumper lower trim and inserts, G-wing, then coilovers.

What spec is your car?? Sounds like you have bought a fair few things at once too =) Id love those seats you'll have to post some pics. I do the like the TD wheels and black chrome sounds awesome =)

Do you have a progress thread??
No not done a progress thread.

My wheels were painted rather than powder coated and not oven baked. So when the tyres were fitted we put insulating tape round the rims and made really sure the 'foot' thing on the machine was 1mm clear of the rim when it rotated. To avoid exactly what happened to yours. My mantra: Take time, don't rush at things, time, care, take it steady, think, plan, think, supervise. And watch the b******ds like a hawk.

I'm not really into making my car look fierce, black everything, the Daft Vader look as I call it - look at my fast S. So I set about building a fast S that doesn't look it.

I tried the LED sidelights but it still had the 'fried egg' look so I put in the Halo LED sidelights with chromed amber bulbs.

Nor really changing the interior. Interior-wise I swapped the cloth/leather for all leather back in February and on Monday I bought a used set of the JCW Sparco front seats. Heated with under thigh extenders, very rare. Oh all LED bulbs interior.

I've actually done mods gradually, bit by bit. Otherwise you aren't sure what has given you what. I have spent way to much money on it, that is for sure, but I'm nearly done, as far as I want to go.

Power/engine - Orranje Stealth CAI, Milltek non-res cat back, Alta 15% reduced pulley, colder plugs, Airtec upgrade intercooler. Pretty sure that should be giving about 200bhp. Torque, driveability, is much improved though so it is really nice to drive fast without continually thrashing the revs. Pulls really hard from 3,000-5,500 rpm.

What I'd call the chassis, not the springs/dampers - swapped the run-flats for non run-flats (magic), Powerflex lower arm rear bushes (more magic), Forge strut brace, OMP lower brace, cabrio braces, Whiteline 20mm 3 way adjustable rear ARB (even more magic). As per Milpol advice made sure all the bushes and ball joints are good, changed if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tony JCW 01.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	221657   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	221665   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1603.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	221673   Click image for larger version

Name:	TDs Black Chrome 01.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	221681   Click image for larger version

Name:	TDs Black Chrome 03.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	221689  

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2017, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdaniel View Post
The 2 colour scheme looks awesome

I reckon it would look good if you went all the way and blackened the door handles headlight trim bottom window surround etc

Thank you mate. I'm happy with the progress so far. Just need to fit the re trimmed parts and fit the wheels. Then nothing until new year as Xmas is fast approaching and isn't cheap =(
I agree on the blacked our parts. I'll add that to my list .
Jackdaniel likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelK View Post
No not done a progress thread.

My wheels were painted rather than powder coated and not oven baked. So when the tyres were fitted we put insulating tape round the rims and made really sure the 'foot' thing on the machine was 1mm clear of the rim when it rotated. To avoid exactly what happened to yours. My mantra: Take time, don't rush at things, time, care, take it steady, think, plan, think, supervise. And watch the b******ds like a hawk.

I'm not really into making my car look fierce, black everything, the Daft Vader look as I call it - look at my fast S. So I set about building a fast S that doesn't look it.

I tried the LED sidelights but it still had the 'fried egg' look so I put in the Halo LED sidelights with chromed amber bulbs.

Nor really changing the interior. Interior-wise I swapped the cloth/leather for all leather back in February and on Monday I bought a used set of the JCW Sparco front seats. Heated with under thigh extenders, very rare. Oh all LED bulbs interior.

I've actually done mods gradually, bit by bit. Otherwise you aren't sure what has given you what. I have spent way to much money on it, that is for sure, but I'm nearly done, as far as I want to go.

Power/engine - Orranje Stealth CAI, Milltek non-res cat back, Alta 15% reduced pulley, colder plugs, Airtec upgrade intercooler. Pretty sure that should be giving about 200bhp. Torque, driveability, is much improved though so it is really nice to drive fast without continually thrashing the revs. Pulls really hard from 3,000-5,500 rpm.

What I'd call the chassis, not the springs/dampers - swapped the run-flats for non run-flats (magic), Powerflex lower arm rear bushes (more magic), Forge strut brace, OMP lower brace, cabrio braces, Whiteline 20mm 3 way adjustable rear ARB (even more magic). As per Milpol advice made sure all the bushes and ball joints are good, changed if needed.

You've got a very impressive list there mate. Those seats are awesome. Very jealous. They are rare. I used clear front indicator bulbs to get rid of fried egg look but those DRL's are really nice. I've spent too much but I enjoy it, I don't smoke or drink so need to spend my money on something . You should do a progress thread. What else gave you got planned for your car??
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Update :

Interior parts are back from the trimmers. Door armrests, downtubes and gaiters re-trimmed in dark grey alcantara with red stitching. Just need to fit them. Very happy with the quality.
S744FRD likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2017, 04:46 PM
Sour Mash

United Kingdom Male

Garage
I love that material better than leather imo especially on the steering wheel if you suffer from sweaty hands

PLawrence1584 likes this.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2017, 04:53 PM
Sour Mash

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Out of curiosity where did you get those Alcantara parts from and what was the cost if you don't mind measking ?

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2017, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdaniel View Post
Out of curiosity where did you get those Alcantara parts from and what was the cost if you don't mind measking ?

Hello mate. I got them retrimmed by a company called west country trimmers near Exeter.
I was recommended by a mini salesman after one of his colleges told me he could get me alcantara handbrake and gear gaiters but they turned up in the plastic leather. Which they we're going to charge over £80 for.
So I emailed this company with what I wanted. Sent pictures. My Mrs went in and chose the shade of alcantara as I was working. I gave them spare downtubes and armrests to cover. Spare handbrake and gear gaiters so they could make templates and I could carry on driving my car. I paid £200 including VAT and it took them around 3/4 weeks. The owner said he wouldn't rush and my Mrs said they were very busy. I'm really happy with finish and quality. Not bad considering mini were charging over £80 just for the plastic gaiters. Hope this helps.
Jackdaniel likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2017, 08:22 AM
MINI2 Master

England Male

Jack, I dropped my JCW Sparcos off at a trimmer in Aylesford, near Maidstone yesterday to sort a mark, clean and feed them. Not used them before. As per my comment in earlier post put my nose on them - passed. Father and 2 sons. Can do pretty much anything with coverings and colours.
Colin Lamb & Sons
HOME - Smart Repair Centre
Another one I found in St Leonards-on-Sea called C A Upton.
Jackdaniel likes this.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 2017, 07:51 PM
Sour Mash

United Kingdom Male

Garage
Thanks for the tips

Might have to get Alcantara steering wheel/handbrake/gearstick gaiters (thanks for teaching me the name now I don't have to call it the knob and sack)

Hopefully they can do blue stitching

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
MINI2 Newbie

Nearly a year since I last updated

I had all the re-trimmed interior parts fitted

I purchased a facelift 3-spoke steering wheel and had that sent off to Royal Steering Wheels for a re-trim in dark grey alcantara with red stitching and 12 o clock band

Have fitted new wheels, R112ís in gloss black and old JCW logo badges

Purchased and fitted Orranje stealth intake

Carbon fibre engine plaque

Had my chrome side scuttles painted gloss black with red 3D S badges

Also had fitted HEL braided brake lines and purchased a second hand Aero front bumper

Also had a full service and MOT. 2 weeks time Iím heading to 1320 for pulley package 1.2 + supercharger service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the MINI Cooper Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in